Post-Game Talk: Where's all that talent Bob?....

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How do you motivate a team that knows its employed by idiots that will continue to sabotage any efforts. Most of the players on this club have been around long enough to know the only point is to get paid and nothing else is happening. I figured this was going to be a very long season. My only surprise is that realistic elimination occurred this late, but that's mostly due to how poor the WC is.
They looked motivated last game against the Wild but whenever they play at home they wait to lose. Certainly there are a lot of losers on the Oilers but even positionally they look worse under the supposed defensive mastermind. Hitchcock hasn’t shown anything since Koskinen turned back into a pumpkin. He’s already lost the room and has no idea how to use any of the Oilers players.

He needs to reretire.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wouldn’t really have much of an issue with Hitch’s comments if he had kept his big mouth shut when he came in. I might even feel sorry for him. But when he arguably threw the former coach under the bus and trivialized this teams issues, thinking he could fix them with a snap of his fingers and a click of his shoes, he can now lie in the bed he made.

Valid perspective. I was one of the few posters on here that didnt think TMac was the issue.

Hitch was just trying to sell his way of doing things to the players...I dont think it was meant as a slap in the face of TMac.
I certainly didnt take it that way.

Reality hits hard though and reality just slapped Hitch upside that head.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Ridiculous comment. Koski has 10 good NHL games total, that it. Anybody thinking that means he's a better, or good to great goalie is speciously looking at only that, which was 3mths ago.

Soon as NHL scouting happened, and Koski leaks were being spotted he's being owned. Its easy to see.
I agree that he did not deserve to get paid based on the small sample size and I hated that contract. But that in no way means Talbot is the better option in net over Kosk. Koskinen has played better this year and provided good goaltending at an important time. Why the team is mailing it in now is anyone's guess. I dont think any goalie could make this team win right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Nicholson needs to head to the kitchen and help make a new uplifting burger. Extra protein. Lots carbs.

Common Bobby nick. Make a good one let the boys eat it before the games. Give them some more energy.

Dasani as well. No bad edmonton water

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not sure what you're even trying to say in this post.

Talbot played excellent in the last game. Did you miss that one?

Koski hasn't been earning starts since around November. But he got paid so now theres nothing at all to play for.

The same org that setup all of Hall, Eberle Nuge with 6M buck contracts prematurely ejaculated again.
We agree to disagree here, I'm not willing to try and convince you. All good.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm not sure what you're even trying to say in this post.

Talbot played excellent in the last game. Did you miss that one?

Koski hasn't been earning starts since around November. But he got paid so now theres nothing at all to play for.

The same org that setup all of Hall, Eberle Nuge with 6M buck contracts prematurely ejaculated again.

It doesn’t take a lot to get them excited does it, lol.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We are actually closer.
When Chiapet came over we had no prospects in the system.
We've got half dozen prospects on the farm team whom I think will actually have NHL careers.
That's not much, but that's more than what we had when we drafted McDavid.

When Chia came over we had far more talent on the actual team. Actual starting players.

Its a fools game to say we're better now because of prospects when those represent no certainty or actuality that they will yield better players and better team.

Besides which the McD time clock started years ago. McDrai have already entered prime and the team is missing the playoffs year after year. The Hawks had already won two cups in the time frame we are in with respect to best players.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
When Chia came over we had far more talent on the actual team. Actual starting players.

Its a fools game to say we're better now because of prospects when those represent no certainty or actuality that they will yield better players and better team.

Besides which the McD time clock started years ago. McDrai have already entered prime and the team is missing the playoffs year after year. The Hawks had already won two cups in the time frame we are in with respect to best players.

Not by much.
Hall, yes.
Eberle no. Eberle was the most overrated Oiler of all time.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Kassian lazy , unpassionate, dumb, enigmatic
Draisaitl just f***ing ass on that missed coverage on the 2nd goal lazy as f***
Chiasson back to garbage
Nurse consistantly making bad reads defensively
Larsson absolute horsettrash this season
Puljujarvi should not be in the NHL
Malone is not an NHL player
Russell out of position or falling down like a fainting goat 90 % of his shift
RNH is simply too weak on the puck
Rider absolute horseshit disappointment and a terrible acquisition from the looks of it.
Brodziak plus minus is disgusting
Talbot weak ass mentality and is part his best years.
Lucic is done he gave us 1 year and now is preventing us from acquiring a proper winger for 97 through his prime years.

There is something seriously wrong this team. There are too many lazy, unpassionate, past their prime hockey players eating up too much of the cap.

There has to be a 8 to 10 player purge starting as early as the trade deadline.

Make me GM and this shit turns around as early as next year where the f*** do I apply.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wouldn’t really have much of an issue with Hitch’s comments if he had kept his big mouth shut when he came in. I might even feel sorry for him. But when he arguably threw the former coach under the bus and trivialized this teams issues, thinking he could fix them with a snap of his fingers and a click of his shoes, he can now lie in the bed he made.

Have to agree with this. I'm not sure what he was doing with that quote. I think he was just trying to pump the teams tires and give the guys some faith that there would be some answers. The other part is he got overexcited about finally getting the coaching gig here, but only excited because its his home team so the comments I think had an emotional component to them, He said lots about wanting so much to do good things here for the fanbase, the org, the City, the STH.

It was false optimism for sure. The biggest error in judgement he made was stating that the players were very amenable to change, and very intent on learning. I've rarely had that impression.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The one that's been playing so badly the coach and team can't see how to play him. Its like everytime he gets a start theres more embarrassment.

Its like a nightmare the org wants everybody to forget. except that contract is signed and another expected payout at some point. Maybe when all our other payouts expire..
No argument from me on the Koskinen deal. It was idiotic and indefensible. Typical Chiarelli.

But I can't get behind the spirited defense of Talbot some folks are mounting lately. Talbot has been downright stinky, aside from a handful of outings, for quite some time. He looks awful on a disturbingly high percentage of goals against. Like confused, out of position, no idea where the puck is awful. Count the goals tonight where Cam is so deep in his net he's bumping his head on the crossbar. Any bouncer into the crease area is heart attack material.

Its a shame to see the unravelling of a guy who probably had the talent to be a solid number one. At the very least I reckon he's done in Edmonton.

Reactions: McTedi

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Team doesn't have enough good players to consistently win. Players are checking out on the season. We've seen it many times.

Solution...get more good players so you win more often. No goalie hot streak of a few weeks, or Chaisson shooting 40% for a month is going to consistently fix this mess, ever. Only solution is more good players and less garbage players that can only have a few lucky weeks over the course of a season. This team only has around 5 or 6 players that can bring something consistently over an NHL season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No argument from me on the Koskinen deal. It was idiotic and indefensible. Typical Chiarelli.

But I can't get behind the spirited defense of Talbot some folks are mounting lately. Talbot has been downright stinky, aside from a handful of outings, for quite some time. He looks awful on a disturbingly high percentage of goals against. Like confused, out of position, no idea where the puck is awful. Count the goals tonight where Cam is so deep in his net he's bumping his head on the crossbar. Any bouncer into the crease area is heart attack material.

Its a shame to see the unravelling of a guy who probably had the talent to be a solid number one. At the very least I reckon he's done in Edmonton.
The Oilers constantly leave players in prime scoring positions. It’s not like the team has been that much better when Koskinen is in net and his 2019 stats are even worse than Talbots.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
10 player purge is absolutely necessary. In fact the way this team comes out and plays in the opening period send 10 down bring 10 up you will instantly see an increase in energy and passion. Guys playing on their toes.

Anyone can see there are a bunch of these guys who have quit on this team and and going through the motions. Coupled that with being lazy it is indefensible.

Is it possible to purge 10 to the AHL and bring 10 up ?

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Talbot was done in Edmonton the moment they phoned him in the summer and said hey, we're paying this guy from Russia 2.5M to come over here on a tryout...

lol. When that kind of thing occurs right out of the blue, and I'm not sure if its ever happened to you, look over your shoulder because the pink slip is coming. When Chia extended Koski to 4.5M for 3years on limited and weak results it confirmed the direction the team was going in. I think Talbot has known the whole season he's gone.

There's a dozen GM's and orgs not as stupid as this one. Any of them could probably assume that on a good team with a hope Talbot is probably still a good goalie.

As for talbots positioning tonight, sure, agreed, but he looked much different in just his previous game. For goalies, when they see the talent walking into the slot that the Sharks have, the tendency is to back in when your own team is just giving up all the real estate.

In Football the backfield doesn't play very well either in games where the frontline are giving up everything and caving play after play. The Oilers contain, gap control, positioning was a comic riot in this game. Talbot has seen this horror show too many times.

Reactions: harpoon

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The Oilers constantly leave players in prime scoring positions. It’s not like the team has been that much better when Koskinen is in net and his 2019 stats are even worse than Talbots.
I'm not arguing that Koskinen is some stud. Stop making it about this guy over that guy. I'm promoting neither since I doubt either of them has the game we need.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm not arguing that Koskinen is some stud. Stop making it about this guy over that guy. I'm promoting neither since I doubt either of them has the game we need.
Fine, but look at Brossoit. Left this team and now he looks legit. We couldn’t wait to run him out of town... the same will likely happen with Talbot.

Edmonton is the new goalie graveyard.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Team doesn't have enough good players to consistently win. Players are checking out on the season. We've seen it many times.

Solution...get more good players so you win more often. No goalie hot streak of a few weeks, or Chaisson shooting 40% for a month is going to consistently fix this mess, ever. Only solution is more good players and less garbage players that can only have a few lucky weeks over the course of a season. This team only has around 5 or 6 players that can bring something consistently over an NHL season.

The reality is even in Minny players are checking out. As teams that know no help is ever coming often do.

The teams most engaged, like the Flames, Jets, Lightning, Sharks constantly engage their players by working hard behind the scenes to bolster their roster and give the team every chance to win.

Players on teams that don't have that have generally a mixed impression of where the org is going and how much their efforts matter.

This season was lost before it started. I suspect quite a few of the players don't actually believe in this lineup overall. Any game theres around 8 good players here and 10 bad ones.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The trade thread has me doubting that. :cool:

Bunch of Chia's in there.
Bro, you can literally close your eyes and handpick a better roster with what we had then what Chiatard has left us with. Hand pick a bottom 6 from every single team In this league replace it with ours and we are running away in the playoff race. Dont overestimate how bad this team is outside 97 and 29.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad