Where will the Hughes-Hischier Duo Rank?

Where does this 1-2 center punch rank in the future?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Please tell me you're talking just about pure skating ability, and not overall ability as a hockey player.
I did say best skater , didnt I?!

But yes Im not saying Hughes is McDavid. However theyre practically copies of one another with Hughes being a tier below IMO

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I did say best skater , didnt I?!

But yes Im not saying Hughes is McDavid. However theyre practically copies of one another with Hughes being a tier below IMO
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying Hughes would be a top-10 non-goalie player right away.

There are a ton of great skaters in the NHL, so it's still a bold assertion, but not totally ridiculous.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying Hughes would be a top-10 non-goalie player right away.

There are a ton of great skaters in the NHL, so it's still a bold assertion, but not totally ridiculous.
Ah okay, I can see how that’d come across that way.

And there most certainly are amazing skaters - however skating is one thing that q person can stand out in early on and thats Hughes to a tee. When a guy skates the way Hughes, McDavid, Kane types do - theyre a special talent

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Ah okay, I can see how that’d come across that way.

And there most certainly are amazing skaters - however skating is one thing that q person can stand out in early on and thats Hughes to a tee. When a guy skates the way Hughes, McDavid, Kane types do - theyre a special talent
Bud, you’re not just drinking the koolaid, you’re swimming it. Let’s tone it back a bit until we see Hughes play a full season, then we can decide if he is worthy of these lofty expectations you’re placing on him. My guess, going out on a limb: I’d say no. And I’d comfortably wager a lot on that.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Bud, you’re not just drinking the koolaid, you’re swimming it. Let’s tone it back a bit until we see Hughes play a full season, then we can decide if he is worthy of these lofty expectations you’re placing on him. My guess, going out on a limb: I’d say no. And I’d comfortably wager a lot on that.
I didnt set expectations, these are the general consensus opinions of amateur scouts who all have Hughes as a PHENOM and him shattering records allows folks to have such expectations.

He did all the work to earn them, nobody set them for him. He set them for himself

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Probably averages out in the 5-7 range. Could definitely be top 5 if Hughes hits big (and Nico continues playing the way he is against 2nd line competition).. safe bet overall IMO to be top 10 though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, I guess I'm still sceptical about Hughes being as great as some see. The hockey IQ does seem lacking to me. On the topic of amateur scouts who do the media rankings, I did go ahead and check Puljujärvi's reports out, and these ones are very interesting with quotes like "Reads the play well and plays well away from the puck. Has excellent hockey sense." "A truly dominant two-way force that consistently demonstrates elite hockey sense, proactive defensive awareness, and a full array of offensive tools." which just is completely false and was clearly visible to anyone watching pre-draft. This is an example I used because I was quite invested in this player and because he's one of the dumbest hockey players I've seen. That's why I don't put a whole lot of stock to any "hockey IQ" statements by media scouts, I'll see and analyze them myself. It honestly feels like most people don't know what hockey sense actually is, or how to look for it(hint: it's not impressive-looking passes). It's possible Hughes will in a future game display higher-end IQ but for now, I've not seen it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Honestly... If Colorado were to take Cozens, I'd probably take Mackinnon/Cozens over Hughes/Hischier.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
They’re gonna be the modern day version of RNH - Hall, but I doubt Hughes is even going to be as good as Hall.

I mean...considering this poll is about top 2 center depth and Hall isn’t a center, not sure how that’s a relevant comparison.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
You realize the poll is in three years right?

Its pretty much a given Jersey ends up top3-5 in their primes

It's not even a given that they will end up with better centers from the first round of these two drafts than the Vancouver Canucks.

Here are 26 centers drafted in the top 15, from the last 15 drafts.

Stamkos, Matthews, Tavares, Eichel, Domi, Duchene, Larkin, Barkov, Dubois, Zibanejad, Backstrom, Couturier, Hischier, Johansen, Crosby, Malkin, E. Staal, Sheifele, Seguin, MacKinnon, Toews, Couture, Monahan, Pettersson, McDavid, Kopitar.

Hischier/Hughes level centers (or even better) can be found in the top-15 almost twice a year on average.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It's not even a given that they will end up with better centers from the first round of these two drafts than the Vancouver Canucks.

Here are 26 centers drafted in the top 15, from the last 15 drafts.

Stamkos, Matthews, Tavares, Eichel, Domi, Duchene, Larkin, Barkov, Dubois, Zibanejad, Backstrom, Couturier, Hischier, Johansen, Crosby, Malkin, E. Staal, Sheifele, Seguin, MacKinnon, Toews, Couture, Monahan, Pettersson, McDavid, Kopitar.

Hischier/Hughes level centers (or even better) can be found in the top-15 almost twice a year on average.
Hughes/Hischier types can be found in the top-15?

On that note ill end this conversation, god bless

Reactions: Yasuo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: