Where will the Hughes-Hischier Duo Rank?

Where does this 1-2 center punch rank in the future?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You can't really compare them properly. Hughes played in a way eassier league when Kakko played against men.

Devils will be thinking do they risk it, because Hughes is much riskier because he has not played against men yet also he is much smaller. Don't be so sure it will be him

Sure I can. I've seen more than enough of Hughes to know how good he is.

Look, I'm a Rangers fan, here. And I'd still take Hughes without thinking hard about it. Kakko has really developed nicely as a prospect, but Hughes is just a flat out better one.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Should be top 5. I thought the devils would struggle long term with Hischier as their 1C, but he’s a phenomenal #2. I expect Hughes to be elite though maybe not quite on that Matthews, Barkov, MacKinnon, etc. tier. The combo of both together is going to really shoot them up the board as many other great C’s don’t have anyone close to a Hischier behind them.

Jetcetera

Jan 19, 2015
Manitoba
God people sure like to overrate players on here. No way in hell will hughes be a star player let alone franchise

NJD would be much better off with Kakko

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
You can't really compare them properly. Hughes played in a way eassier league when Kakko played against men.

Devils will be thinking do they risk it, because Hughes is much riskier because he has not played against men yet also he is much smaller. Don't be so sure it will be him

Looks at your location:

Yup, this checks out. :laugh:

HUGHES IS GOING FIRST OVERALL... FINS NEED TO CHILL

Reactions: vtdevils2k

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Kakko is way better though. Not that it Will probably influence The draft at all.
So let me get this straight...

According to you (obviously no bias in your opinion) Kakko is clearly the better player, but the devils will select Hughes bc hes from america?

get your head checked.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I think Hughes will end up playing wing anyway. They could form a line together, where Hischier is like Pettersson and Hughes like Gaudreau. So, super talented, but not sure about the overall impact.

Reactions: Doothpick

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Im bot denying Cozens wont be drafted high but two first overalls seems like the very very clear choice, especially when one has the pedigree Hughes has

Your reasoning of two first overalls must be better is bad.

How about analyze the skillsets not pedigree?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's hilarious how much Hughes' stock has dropped since NJ won the lottery.

Doesn't that happen with every draft? Fans get excited because of the possibility of getting 1st overall, then when they don't, they start focusing on the flaws of that player to feel better.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You realize the poll is in three years right?

Its pretty much a given Jersey ends up top3-5 in their primes

You seem to think it's a certainty that both those guys will 100% become elite centers. If, instead, they end up being closer to RNH/Hall-type players, I don't think that's a top3-5 duo in the league.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You seem to think it's a certainty that both those guys will 100% become elite centers. If, instead, they end up being closer to RNH/Hall-type players, I don't think that's a top3-5 duo in the league.
How many teams will have two 1Cs, even if they werent elite?

Factor that in along with the high likelihood they hit near their potentials... and that seems like top 3-5 to me!

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So Nail Yakupov > Gaudreau for skillset?
What?

Were comparing prospects who havent played. Are you arguing that the 1st overalls dont tend to have the higher skillsets? Scouting-wise and based on probability, the first overalls likely have the higher chance of becoming the better player HENCE they went first overall

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What?

Were comparing prospects who havent played. Are you arguing that the 1st overalls dont tend to have the higher skillsets? Scouting-wise and based on probability, the first overalls likely have the higher chance of becoming the better player.

No what I’m saying is just solely relying on a player being 1st overall isn’t a good reason by itself. And I’m not even necessarily disagree that Hughes/Hischier won’t be a dominating duo, just the reasoning to support that assertion isn’t great.

Sure, I agree with the last part. Generally speaking a 1st OA player should have a higher chance of success but not always and that’s the point.

It’s better to analyze what they actually bring to the table not just “well they were chosen 1st overall, therefore they must be better”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->