Where will the Hughes-Hischier Duo Rank?

Where does this 1-2 center punch rank in the future?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Where will this duo rank in terms of 1-2 punch down the middle in three years? Nico is already a low end 1C at 20, and Hughes projects to be a star 1C, with franchise player potential.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hard to say, but I think it'll a fantastic duo. Hopefully Hall is resigned and they surround them with talent. Could be very fun to watch the next 10 years

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
depends if Hischier ends up higher than the RNH trajectory he's on

I disagree that Hischier is a low-end #1C like the OP said, but this I also equally disagree with. Hopkins never really got better. I think Hischier improved his overall game a bit this year. And we need another two years or so to see if that comparison ends up being close to accurate, frankly.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Because Hughes is a better player and prospect.

You can't really compare them properly. Hughes played in a way eassier league when Kakko played against men.

Devils will be thinking do they risk it, because Hughes is much riskier because he has not played against men yet also he is much smaller. Don't be so sure it will be him

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
How in the Wild wild west did NJ win the lottery 2 out of 3 years? anyway, both guys are pretty small but really talented. Top 10 in my dime store eyes.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You can't really compare them properly. Hughes played in a way eassier league when Kakko played against men.

Devils will be thinking do they risk it, because Hughes is much riskier because he has not played against men yet also he is much smaller. Don't be so sure it will be him

there's a reason Hughes has been #1 on literally every single reputable draft ranking dating back to even before this yeasr

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ

There's zero chance it's not Hughes.

Go ahead and bookmark this post.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
There's zero chance it's not Hughes.

Go ahead and bookmark this post.

We don't know what the Devils are thinking but it definitely is not 100% Hughes i'm sure of that. They aren't ignoring the fact that Kakko broke the record in U18 goal scoring in liiga and is definitely a safer pick.
btw just in a U18 game of Finland - USA and Finland won, Hughes with zero points... in a U18 game.
Kakko is not playing, he is with the Finland men' team getting ready for mens WHC

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
We don't know what the Devils are thinking but it definitely is not 100% Hughes i'm sure of that. They aren't ignoring the fact that Kakko broke the record in U18 goal scoring in liiga and is definitely a safer pick.
btw just in a U18 game of Finland - USA and Finland won, Hughes with zero points... in a U18 game.
Kakko is not playing, he is with the Finland men' team getting ready for mens WHC

I do not buy the narrative that Kakko is "definitely a safer pick" because he's played in a men's league. Plenty of other athletes have stepped into the NHL from the development leagues and done just fine. That's a silly narrative imo - I completely disagree with the notion.

And forgive me if I don't put a whole lot of stock in a single exhibition game.

But we're pulling this thread off-topic - there are plenty of other threads to debate Hughes vs. Kakko.

Hughes/Nico will be a delight to watch for the next decade. I would hope they are a top-10 combo eventually, if not even higher in a good year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Way too early to say Hughes projects to be a star 1C.

Would like to see him actually play like a center before that.
I do not buy the narrative that Kakko is "definitely a safer pick" because he's played in a men's league. Plenty of other athletes have stepped into the NHL from the development leagues and done just fine. That's a silly narrative imo - I completely disagree with the notion.
How many players have stepped into the NHL directly from USNTDP? Look it up and you might be surprised.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017

Hughes had something like 18 points in 12 games vs. NCAA competition this year

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Easily top-10 but Hischier is severely underrated as is Hughes before draft lol

People will hatw us for a long time and we will be the franchise who ‘needed 1st overalls’

I cant wait

Edit; saw it says in three years, so ill say top-5 by then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad