Where will the Canucks finish in the new division

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
To be fair, if we would've been told that Luongo would get traded mid-season and the team would be destroyed with injuries then most of us probably would have been in the right ball park.

But anyone who had them winning the division and/or still in the top contending team tier in the league had some nice rose-coloured glasses on.

To be fair, this team's demise was very predictable. And injuries aren't an excuse. Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and San Jose have all suffered more man games lost than the Canucks. Detroit has as well.

Furthermore, what does the Luongo trade have to do with anything? A lot of people here think Lack is better anyway :laugh:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I was with the majority predicting 3rg which means I had rose coloured glasses. The one thing I probably got right was that I was against hiring Torts as I thought he was the wrong guy. But I more than negated that by thinking Eakins was the right guy. I don't think I could stand a season of the chopping wood and carrying water comments.:laugh:

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Looking back, I was pretty close. Did not think Phoenix would have finished above us though.

I picked 4th, looks like they'll be 5th.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
You can call it being a homer or whatever you like but I think the Canucks will be right in the race for #1, it will be very tight. LA hasn't been all that strong in the regular season, Anaheim lost one of their best forwards, and the Sharks didn't do anything to improve. It will be real close, but its not like any of these teams have been significantly better than us in recent past during the season.

LOL some of these posts are hilarious to read now

I voted 4th, which I thought was being very reserved, but even that was wrong.

No way did I see the Nucks missing the playoffs this year.. what an embarrassing season

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
The rule of the Canucks: Always 1 step (no more and less) below your expectations.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
The rule of the Canucks: Always 1 step (no more and less) below your expectations.

Sounds about right, year I thought we would win the Cup we fell one game short.

Although the last 2 years losing in 5 and 4 games in the first round fell a couple notches below my expectations

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
LOL some of these posts are hilarious to read now

I voted 4th, which I thought was being very reserved, but even that was wrong.

No way did I see the Nucks missing the playoffs this year.. what an embarrassing season

Totally off topic and in absolutely no way even slightly connected to any posts I may or may not have made last year on this thread but just as a matter of future reference,
Does anyone know how to delete old posts so that there is no trace remaining?

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Totally off topic and in absolutely no way even slightly connected to any posts I may or may not have made last year on this thread but just as a matter of future reference,
Does anyone know how to delete old posts so that there is no trace remaining?

All you can do is edit them, so you could edit it to something like "delete" etc, but you can't delete the post itself, only mods can

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Anaheim and especially San Jose are better than I thought they'd be. Both are on better paces than what Vancouver won the President's Trophy with in 11-12. LA's scoring is way worse than I thought it'd be and that's a big reason why they're not fighting for the division. Vancouver is definitely doing more poorly that I thought, but missing the playoffs was always a distinct possibility in my mind. I just would've expected them to miss by a couple of points rather than potentially picking in the top 6 or 7.

That said, I think the division stuff is overblown a little. The Canucks aren't missing the playoffs because of their division, but because they've played poorly against everyone. There's no better example of that than their record against the Eastern Conference. Between 08-12 their record vs the East ranged from .625 to .725 while this year they're .500. That's about 8-12 lost points right there that's completely irrespective of how they played against their tough divisional opponents.

And that makes a big difference. LA has only gotten 2 more points than Vancouver has vs. the Western Conference. But because they've gotten 45 points against the East compared to Vancouver's 32 points they're way ahead and comfortably in a playoff spot.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I had us at 4th... figuring we'd have a tougher time with the realignment and that this was our "the cap will screw us over" year. Didn't account for all the injuries though which, considering our lack of depth, just killed us.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Anaheim and especially San Jose are better than I thought they'd be. Both are on better paces than what Vancouver won the President's Trophy with in 11-12. LA's scoring is way worse than I thought it'd be and that's a big reason why they're not fighting for the division. Vancouver is definitely doing more poorly that I thought, but missing the playoffs was always a distinct possibility in my mind. I just would've expected them to miss by a couple of points rather than potentially picking in the top 6 or 7.

That said, I think the division stuff is overblown a little. The Canucks aren't missing the playoffs because of their division, but because they've played poorly against everyone. There's no better example of that than their record against the Eastern Conference. Between 08-12 their record vs the East ranged from .625 to .725 while this year they're .500. That's about 8-12 lost points right there that's completely irrespective of how they played against their tough divisional opponents.

And that makes a big difference. LA has only gotten 2 more points than Vancouver has vs. the Western Conference. But because they've gotten 45 points against the East compared to Vancouver's 32 points they're way ahead and comfortably in a playoff spot.

Yeah if there was no division realignment and we were still the NW division, we'd still be sitting in pretty much the same spot with Colorado and Minnesota representing our div for the playoffs and us on the outside looking in. Also if it was the same division probably 80-90% of us would have voted 1st in the division.

And we wouldn't have been wrong to do so, just that unexpected things can and always do happen in a season. Colorado is an even better example of this, I mean seriously from dead last in the West on pace for 66 points to 4th overall and a likely 110 points? That's an over 40 point difference, where the Canucks in comparison are currently about 20 behind with games left.

A prediction is a prediction, doesn't make you smart if you bet low and won... unless you're doing it consistently around the league. If you could have gotten Vegas odds at the start of the season for where we'd finish, this low would probably only be about 10%.

Really it's a lot like Nonis' last two seasons here, where pretty much the same team put up 105 points one season while healthy, then with an unusual rash of injuries dropped 17 points and out of the playoffs.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
how's is it that out of 7 teams the 3 Canadian ones are last place?

what the hell

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Interesting to look back on a thread like this and see what everyone predicted. Admittedly even I thought the Canucks would sneak into the playoffs (8th seed), though was never optimistic about this team going into this season. Hardly anyone predicted the Canucks to finish 5th or lower this season.

I don't think anyone could have imagine what happened this year. Burrows not scoring til mid-March, Sedins not cracking 50 points, Luongo being traded mid-season, I know a lot of people were down on Edler but he's been TERRIBLE.

Pretty everything went wrong this year. I had ANA/SJ/LA/VAN all hovering at around 100 points in July. Two have exceeded expectations, one is meeting, and the other? Well of course it would be Vancouver.

Though I did agree with you that we were going nowhere fast as far as April and beyond was concerned.

ataraxia

Mar 15, 2012
I had the Oilers ahead of the Canucks and Phoenix behind, but I'll still pipe up for having picked 5th preseason.

I expected there'd be more early-season goalie drama re: Luongo than there (outward-apparently) was and did expect the Sedins to decline a bunch between general aging & this being a compressed-schedule Olympic year - I was telling coworkers "well, contract year's over now" the minute they were re-signed and the coworkers stopped heckling me for it within a couple more weeks.

The salary cap drop completely screwed the Canucks' forward depth due to the team's cap structure and made this whole season a write-off so far as I was concerned - but Santorelli playing WAY beyond expectations salvaged the first half of the season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
IIRC I had the canucks 4th, finishing in the wildcard position. If everything goes bad a wildcard level team finishes outside the playoffs and if it goes right finished 3rd. Well pretty much everything went wrong when we got overrun with injuries so it is not surprising we finished out of the playoffs.

Burr08

Mar 5, 2014
To be fair, this team's demise was very predictable. And injuries aren't an excuse. Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and San Jose have all suffered more man games lost than the Canucks. Detroit has as well.

Furthermore, what does the Luongo trade have to do with anything? A lot of people here think Lack is better anyway :laugh:

I dont think was happened could have been predicted by anyone. Teams dont go from winning the presidents trophy and and playing in the stanley cup finals to bottom 10 in the league within a few seasons especially when the core remains the same. IMO this season was an outlier and blowing the team up this summer would be hasty and the wrong decision. I see us back in the playoff picture next year.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I dont think was happened could have been predicted by anyone. Teams dont go from winning the presidents trophy and and playing in the stanley cup finals to bottom 10 in the league within a few seasons especially when the core remains the same. IMO this season was an outlier and blowing the team up this summer would be hasty and the wrong decision. I see us back in the playoff picture next year.

And what about the last two times we made the playoffs and went out in 5 and 4 games in the first round. Are we going back to that next year? Because we sure as hell aren't built to do anything more at this point. It's a huge offseason.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I think heading into the season I thought that they would finish 3rd. Or at the very least get a wild position and finish 4th. Not many people saw this disaster of a season happening with so many players under performing.
I know I definitely thought they would make the playoffs even though it was clear they weren't a great team anymore. Still surprised by how many people voted 1st and 2nd place finishes though. Some very optimistic people I guess and seems like a lot of people were underrating teams like the Ducks and Sharks. I admit I thought there wasn't that much of a difference between the Canucks and Ducks before the season began as well.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
You can call it being a homer or whatever you like but I think the Canucks will be right in the race for #1, it will be very tight. LA hasn't been all that strong in the regular season, Anaheim lost one of their best forwards, and the Sharks didn't do anything to improve. It will be real close, but its not like any of these teams have been significantly better than us in recent past during the season.
Nice.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Interesting thread to re read and to review some of excuses that some people are tossing out as to why. It was going to be a tough conference/division and I was hoping the team would rise to the challenge. Sadly they did not. For those using the "injury" excuse--other teams got hit harder then us, but they had better depth in their system then us. The twins have carried us for a very long time and many players were carried on the coat tails.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad