Where will the Canucks finish in the new division

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
for the last 8 years or so we have next to no serious challenges from anyone in our division. That division come this fall will morph into a conference that now includes

Los Angeles King
Duck of Anaheim
San Jose Sharks
Phoenix Coyotes
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers

Obviously that will make out lives a little more interesting. Oilers, Flames and Coyotes wont be a threat any time soon, that leaves the Kings, sharks and Ducks.

what are the prediction to how the Conference will look next April standing wise

I think it will look like
canucks
kings
Ducks
sharks

Coyotes
Oilers
flames

arsmaster*

I'd say they'll probably battle for 1st all year, LA being younger and deeper will probably help them edge us out.

I have no clue why people are afraid of the Ducks. One line team just lost Bobby Ryan and are replacing him with Dustin Penner (reportedly).

They still don't have a 2nd line center, and look to be counting on kids to fill out the roster. Is Selanne coming back?

I'm not sure I'd run to the bank on Beauchemin being a Norris Candidate over 82 games either.

Also, I realize the Sharks beat us in the playoffs, but I'm not all that fearful of extra games against them. I actually think more competitive divisional games will actually be a bonus to the team, and like 2010-2011, I imagine their game by game approach will be much better.

I'd gonna say the Canucks finish 2nd.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I'd say they'll probably battle for 1st all year, LA being younger and deeper will probably help them edge us out.

I have no clue why people are afraid of the Ducks. One line team just lost Bobby Ryan and are replacing him with Dustin Penner (reportedly).

They still don't have a 2nd line center, and look to be counting on kids to fill out the roster. Is Selanne coming back?

I'm not sure I'd run to the bank on Beauchemin being a Norris Candidate over 82 games either.

Also, I realize the Sharks beat us in the playoffs, but I'm not all that fearful of extra games against them. I actually think more competitive divisional games will actually be a bonus to the team, and like 2010-2011, I imagine their game by game approach will be much better.

I'd gonna say the Canucks finish 2nd.

The Kings usually underperform in the regular season, so I don't see them taking 1st in the conference. It's going to be between the Sharks and us.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Tough to call any given place in the final standings, really, but there seems to be a pretty clear group of four playoff teams - I'd say Anaheim is the likeliest to drop out of that group - and a pretty clear group of three non-playoff teams, with Phoenix the most likely to win a spot in the top four. Mayyyybe Edmonton if a few players take a big step, but I don't see it happening.

At this stage I'd say it's likely that the Canucks finish within the top three.

arsmaster*

Tough to call any given place in the final standings, really, but there seems to be a pretty clear group of four playoff teams - I'd say Anaheim is the likeliest to drop out of that group - and a pretty clear group of three non-playoff teams, with Phoenix the most likely to win a spot in the top four. Mayyyybe Edmonton if a few players take a big step, but I don't see it happening.

At this stage I'd say it's likely that the Canucks finish within the top three.

Have you looked at Anaheim's signed forward depth beyond Perry and Getzlaf?

It's not good. They don't worry me at all.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Have you looked at Anaheim's signed forward depth beyond Perry and Getzlaf?

It's not good. They don't worry me at all.

Yeah well that's what I meant when I said Anaheim is the likeliest of the big four (Canucks, Kings, Ducks, Sharks in case it wasn't obvious) to finish 5th or worse.

Maybe a couple of rookies step up for them this year, and I think long term their forward depth will look much better, but this next year is going to be pretty lean for them - especially if Selanne doesn't re-sign.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Kings
Sharks
Canucks
Phoenix/Anaheim
Anaheim/Phoenix
Edmonton
Calgary

If Mike Smith has a decent year, then I think Phoenix could snag the 4th spot from Anaheim.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I am not sure if I'm ready to believe in Anaheim in what they did last year San Jose only really had that one hot-spot early on and took advantage of a really weak playoff team in round 1. I have us at 98 points though, so I'm going to say we squeak past SJ into 3rd, and Anaheim has ~100 point season, LA being the favourite in the division but they have had 2 really long runs in the playoffs in consecutive years so it should be really fun to see what happens. Hell, I think PHX and EDM might even give us a good run for our money depending on goaltending and defense/depth respectively.

arsmaster*

Yeah well that's what I meant when I said Anaheim is the likeliest of the big four (Canucks, Kings, Ducks, Sharks in case it wasn't obvious) to finish 5th or worse.

Maybe a couple of rookies step up for them this year, and I think long term their forward depth will look much better, but this next year is going to be pretty lean for them - especially if Selanne doesn't re-sign.

Misread your post, sorry for that.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
I voted 4th in the conference and would put us 2nd in the division, though on reflection, that would move us up one in the conference. Chicago should have an easy time taking first, LA, SJ and Van fighting over the next 3 spots. I think it'll be fairly close at the top.

Is the poll about division placement or conference?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I voted 4th in the conference and would put us 2nd in the division, though on reflection, that would move us up one in the conference. Chicago should have an easy time taking first, LA, SJ and Van fighting over the next 3 spots. I think it'll be fairly close at the top.

Is the poll about division placement or conference?

There are no divisions anymore, only 4 conferences.
In our conference is Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Phoenix, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
You can call it being a homer or whatever you like but I think the Canucks will be right in the race for #1, it will be very tight. LA hasn't been all that strong in the regular season, Anaheim lost one of their best forwards, and the Sharks didn't do anything to improve. It will be real close, but its not like any of these teams have been significantly better than us in recent past during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad