Where should Sandin play this year?

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Sandin should play wherever he's going to get the most ice time. Rogle would be great but if he's only going to get ten minutes a night I feel it would hamper his development. I'd much rather him play 25+ minutes a night with the Soo.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sandin doesn't need to play against men. He does fine in contact situations. What he needs to continue his development is to play where he will have less time to make decisions. That eliminates the Soo (too slow), and Rogle (ice too big).

If Toronto is serious about committing to Sandin then he will never play anywhere other than NHL or AHL again. Who would get bumped off the Marlies? Who cares. It would be someone with less upside than Sandin.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
To the people saying Marlies, where would he be in the lineup?
Im assuming the Leafs look like this.

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Carrick

Marlies
Marincin- Liljgren
Rosen - Holl
Borgman - Subban
Loverde - Neilsen

Unless the Leafs loose one of Marincin/Rosen/Borgman to waivers or a trade, I dont see where you put him right now thats better for him than in the SHL if he is a topish pairing guy, or the OHL where he could be a 25+minutes guy.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Carrick

Marlies
Marincin- Liljgren
Rosen - Holl
Borgman - Subban
Loverde - Neilsen

Unless the Leafs loose one of Marincin/Rosen/Borgman to waivers or a trade, I dont see where you put him right now thats better for him than in the SHL if he is a topish pairing guy, or the OHL where he could be a 25+minutes guy.
AHL is a development league. He's better than Subban, Loverde, and Neilsen. Not sure what Subban has done to warrant a spot, and I'd rather have Rosen in the NHL over Carrick.

SHL or AHL is fine with me.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Carrick

Marlies
Marincin- Liljgren
Rosen - Holl
Borgman - Subban
Loverde - Neilsen

One of Rosen, Borgman or Marincin will be the 4th LD on the main roster. So that could open up a spot, but Nielsen would be scratch. We also have Durzi and Hollowell potentially in the mix as well.

The Newfoudland Growlers could have a stacked D-core lol

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Carrick

Marlies
Marincin- Liljgren
Rosen - Holl
Borgman - Subban
Loverde - Neilsen

One of Rosen, Borgman or Marincin will be the 4th LD on the main roster. So that could open up a spot, but Nielsen would be scratch. We also have Durzi and Hollowell potentially in the mix as well.

The Newfoudland Growlers could have a stacked D-core lol

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
AHL is a development league. He's better than Subban, Loverde, and Neilsen. Not sure what Subban has done to warrant a spot, and I'd rather have Rosen in the NHL over Carrick.

SHL or AHL is fine with me.

Dont disagree at all about Subban Loverde or Neilsen.
I assume he is playing LHD, so he is competing with Marincin, Rosen, Borgman.
Rosen and Borgman to me also need a ton of minutes to keep developing as well. Dunno if Marincin is still seen as NHL possible, so id bump him.

If he was a RHD, I think Marlies top 4 are
Rosen - Liljgren
Borgman - Sandin.

P.S. For a long time ive though the AHL should be where you teach a guy to play the other side. Put Marincin/Borgman on the right side. Way more needed and valuable.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Marlies, if there’s no room for him then get rid of a guy like Marincin or Loverde

Sheldon Keefe is looking at this like

tenor.gif

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Carrick

Marlies
Marincin- Liljgren
Rosen - Holl
Borgman - Subban
Loverde - Neilsen

I think that Rosen and Borgman are waivers exempt - but Holl is not. Also LoVerde is a RHD and Nielsen is a LHD. I think that one of Holl or Carrick will be gone and the other will be a 7/8 on the Leafs.

The only D that matter for your lineup are LD - on the Leafs that will be Rielly - Gardiner - Dermott and perhaps either Rosen or Borgman as a 7/8.

That leaves the Marlies with either:

Marincin
Rosen
Borgman
Nielsen
Sandin

or

Maricin
Rosen/Borgman (whichever one is not 7/8 on the Leafs)
Nielsen
Sandin

In the first case they could trade Nielsen. In the second case, 4 LD is the number the Marlies want to carry as they play many 3-in-3s.

pagegallagher15

Aug 19, 2017
Marincin needs to go one way or another..these defenceman need to be ready for when Hainsey and Gardiner are gone and not resigned.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Some interesting takes on this and all 3 avenues have their pros and cons. I just think that sometimes we forget these young prospects are still kids and moving them along too quickly isn't necessarily the best move. Of course it's on a case to case basis. Everyone is different in physical development and strength not to mention mental and emotional development. I assume the brain trust evaluates all and comes to a decision. Dubas seems to be a very intelligent , well rounded guy and just seeing him being interviewed on Prime Time Sports it's obvious he is very thorough and seriously listens to the advice of others in the organization. It will be interesting to see what they decide for Sandin. I'm still leaning toward him returning to the Soo (Sandin, not Dubas...lol) and hopefully dominating while growing an inch or two and adding 10-15 pounds then heading to the Marlies for the 19/20 season.Thanks for your input and the civil discussions...

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sandin can play in the AHL. He has looked imo better than Liljegren looked as a rookie last year. I feel Sandin 100% has a higher hockey IQ than Liljegren. Sandin-Liljegren play like they have been D partners for years. He wont go back to Junior. I was impressed with how he engages much bigger players. Sandin carrying the puck masks his next move. Sandin will act like he doesnt see pressure coming at him until that opposing player over commits to him and he will move the puck, totally relaxed to a team-mate who has more time and space. Clearly outsmarted and baited the player.

Reactions: HockeyPops

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Stop gaps until we develop our own batch

The thing is these stop gaps are stopping our own developed players from playing in NHL and that also forces players like Bracco to warm the bench in AHL. It’s a cycle effect you can’t get rid of a log jam by re signing the junks. We have abundance of stopgaps and these signings are hurting more than we think. Watch these Marincins and Carricks to steal a spot from our D in AHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think the OHL, and then move elsewhere next year. Although, from what I've heard he wants to play for Rogle if not with the Leafs or Marlies.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
They are going to tread carefully with their prized defenceman. He has already played himself ahead of Lilly on depth chart. Mark my words he will become the Leafs #1 dman in 5 years. I hope i can live to see it. Everyone can now see the future. Great pickup by Dubie. He made his mark with that pick.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
SHL or AHL is fine with me. Slight preference for the AHL. Pair him with Liljegren as the second pairing (so they get ample ice time) and they already have obvious chemistry together. Assuming they make the strides we know they're capable of, could see them both up as early as next season in a bottom pair role (that's also when Gardiner's contract is up and then we still have Dermott and Rielly up here).

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
His rights are owned by Rögle BK of the SEL and was on loan to OHL and SSM.

If he doesn't make the Leafs, I believe its Rögle is club team in the Swedish elite league that will decide his fate.

He was a 1st round pick so Leafs have the call not Rögle.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Part of me hopes he’s on the Marlies so I can watch him, part of me worries because the AHL can be a goon show.

To me it is great that we have another teenage d man who looks AHL worthy on talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad