Where should Sandin play this year?

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I'm curious as to where fans think Rasmus Sandin should play this season? I'm probably in the minority but I'd like to see him go back to the Soo. He won't be 19 til next March and could stand to grow a bit. I feel sometimes these young guys are rushed too quickly to the pro level despite their skills. Let him continue to grow both physically and as a player and dominate at the junior level. The following year I'd like to see him play with the Marlies and take the next step in his development. That is unless playing junior this season precludes him from playing pro the following year ? See how he develops and take it from there. Actually the Marlies would be my third choice for this year as I believe playing in Sweden would be a better option. The AHL can be a bit of a goon league at times and I'd rather see him take one of the other two options for this year...Thoughts?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rogle I think is the best for him. He is ready for a step up, but the Marlies do not have room for him. Therefore, Rogle is the best option for him at this point. Maybe he'll get loaned to SSM over the course of the year if it is right for him, similar to what happened to him last year.

Reactions: weems

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
If Rogel is committed to giving him quality icetime, it's probably the ideal place for him. Still gets to play vs. men in a more friendly environment.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think the best spot for him would be on the Marlies partnered with Liljegren.
This would allow them to develop some real chemistry, which we have seen shades of in the preseason.
Also, I think our player development system, facilities, coaching are top notch and would accelerate his development.
We saw huge gains in Liljegren's defensive game with this path.

What makes it tough is that we have a number of D already slated to be on the Marlies assuming they survive the waiver wire and depending on the decisions made by Babcock/Dubas.
In my mind he is too good of a prospect to simply send back to Sweden/Junior just because of room. If the AHL is the best for him, perhaps we need to trim the fat and make room.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think itll probably be Rogel, but if some D man are claimed on waivers or traded before the season then there is a possibility he could be on the Marlies. I'm not suggesting he is ever called up, but playing him with Liljegren would be beneficial. I know we've rushed a lot of players in the past but if he stays on the Marlies I don't see a big issue.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
His rights are owned by Rögle BK of the SEL and was on loan to OHL and SSM.

If he doesn't make the Leafs, I believe its Rögle is club team in the Swedish elite league that will decide his fate.

Reactions: indigobuffalo

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

If he doesn't make the Leafs, I believe its Rögle is club team in the Swedish elite league that will decide his fate.
When he signed his contract I believe Rogle lost control of his fate.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Marlies. I don't care if they don't have room. Liljegren is priority. Sandin is next, you should be willing to hurt anyone else down there to prioritize Sandin's development. And you can still do that while developing Borgman, and company too. It's just the Marincin's and Loverde's, and even Nielsen's of the world that you need to not play if it means developing Sandin properly

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
SHL seems like a good spot, although he would be more than capable of playing in the AHL I think. The Marlies will have plenty of capable bodies, so Sandin would probably better suited to play more minutes in a solid pro league like the SHL and then go to the WJCs. Maybe they can re-evaluate after Christmas if he'd be better off in the AHL.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Id rather have him play on the Marlies then SEL. But if OHL is an option, id like to see him dominate next season to build confidence and to improve his game then Marlies the season after.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I want Sandin in Europe where he can play pretty competitive hockey on large ice surface. It seems to serve defenders well to learn to defend large open spaces well. They come here and make a few tweaks and seem to appear better for it.

The temptation is there for sure to keep him here but, I would resist, my 2c.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Send Neilson to the ECHL and put Sandin on a line with Liljegren... max player development, can't be afraid to hurt some feelings.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Back to the OHL I hope. He will get 25 minutes a night which no pro league would offer him. He was successful but did not dominate in Junior so it isn't like he has outgrown the league.. He isn't a long term prospect like Rasanen that would benefit by percolating in Europe for a couple more years. This year in the OHL and next season to the Marlies if he is ready. Rogle was not a playoff club last season and had the second worst GAA in the SHL. Being a young player on a door mat club can be an opportunity to step up, or to get crushed. SHL is great if you are leaving someone there for 2-3 years and can grow into being a core piece on a club, but I don't think that's his path.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Hopefully OHL. Get him in a leadership role.. he still has a ton to work on and will get the reps he needs. Another year of OHL and world jrs hopefully.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I would like to see him back in the OHL getting 30 minutes a night and the Leafs can keep an eye on him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
AHL or SHL. Don't mind which one. Seems like Rogle was giving him decent ice time before he came over for the rookie tourny.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I would like to see him back in the OHL getting 30 minutes a night and the Leafs can keep an eye on him.

I'm leaning this way as well, keep him on the smaller ice and let him truly excel, then either the NHL or Marlies next year.

If he goes back to Sweden it's not a bad thing either, he'll have a relatively short schedule, get to play against men in a league with a lot of talent, at the end of it bring him back for a run with the Marlies if they make the playoffs

Reactions: Maple Leafs

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Why would you think Rogle decides his fate? Lol the Leafs could put him with the Marlies if they so choose.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I'm beginning to think he might be good enough to get honest minutes over other players in the AHL.
Definitely... he does not look out of place next to Liljegren in the slightest. He is keeping up with NHL training camp... no, he is EXCELLING in NHL training camp, standing out to the coach (even getting a nick) and playing with unbelievable poise and offensive flare. He deserves to go to the AHL, gain chemistry with Lily and get solid minutes to max his development. Another player like Nielsen, who is pretty much done as a prospect, can lose his spot and go to the ECHL.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad