Where should Sandin play this year?

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
He fits on the Marlies, the way I see it we have 4 developmental guys in the AHL and two vets.

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott/Rosen - Ozhiganov (Rosen until Dermott is healthy)
Carrick/Holl

Marlies (20 minutes each pairing)
Borgman - Rosen/Dermott
Sandin - Liljgren
Marincin - Carrick/Holl (if both clear waivers)

ECHL (3 long shots, don't think I am missing anyone)
Subban/Loverde/Neilsen

Last edited:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
To be honest, he hasn't looked lights out during the camp or pre-season. He's just looked okay.

He still has a lot to learn and maybe putting him back in junior wouldn't be the worst idea.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
How come players we draft are always to good to play their D+1 season in the CHL according to this board lol?

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Rasmus Sandin was assigned to the AHL today, rather than to the SHL. Looks like he is sticking around North America!

Good.

The answer is the AHL or the Soo.

To what benefit and why is sending him to Sweden for Rogle any good for us? He grew up on the big ice, then came here and adapted and did it well, but now we'll send him back there and it's somehow = profit?

Ideally AHL, the Soo is less but still a good fallback, because while he probably won't ever be a massive point producer, at least he's here.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Interesting. I would think the Marlies defense would be getting crowded at this point.

I don't think it is getting crowded. Seems it will be the exact same as last year - 8D on the Marlies allowing for resting on the 3-in-3s, dealing with injuries, and allowing for more time with development coaches.

If the Leafs go with:

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Oz
Rosen-Carrick

Then the Marlies have:

Borgman-Holl
Marincin-Liljegren
Nielsen-Loverde
Sandin-Subban

If the Leafs were to either trade Nielsen, or lose someone like Holl or Carrick to waivers things could get really thin on the Marlies D - especially for the weeks that Liljegren and Sandin at the WJC. If the Leafs or Marlies run into injury problems things would also be tight.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't think it is getting crowded. Seems it will be the exact same as last year - 8D on the Marlies allowing for resting on the 3-in-3s, dealing with injuries, and allowing for more time with development coaches.

If the Leafs go with:

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Oz
Rosen-Carrick

Then the Marlies have:

Borgman-Holl
Marincin-Liljegren
Nielsen-Loverde
Sandin-Subban

If the Leafs were to either trade Nielsen, or lose someone like Holl or Carrick to waivers things could get really thin on the Marlies D - especially for the weeks that Liljegren and Sandin at the WJC. If the Leafs or Marlies run into injury problems things would also be tight.

I think Durzi should get a spot.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I’d prefer sending him to the OHL if he was willing, but, if he’s set on either Rogle or AHL, Marlies is prolly the better option.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

If the Leafs go with:

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Oz
Rosen-Carrick

Then the Marlies have:

Borgman-Holl
Marincin-Liljegren
Nielsen-Loverde
Sandin-Subban

You're also forgetting about all the guys we have on AHL deals. Gudbranson, Jardine, LeBlanc etc, as well as Durzi and Hollowell possibly sticking around.

I wonder if the Leafs might try and move our Nielson and maybe LoVerde/Holl to free up some move.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
You're also forgetting about all the guys we have on AHL deals. Gudbranson, Jardine, LeBlanc etc, as well as Durzi and Hollowell possibly sticking around.

I wonder if the Leafs might try and move our Nielson and maybe LoVerde/Holl to free up some move.

I think theyre anticipating one or two guys being sent down may get claimed.

Plus we will see Dubas make more use of the ECHL.

Last edited:

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
Being on the Marlies will be best. Sandin can take advantage of all the amazing resources available and his development will be better controlled and closely monitored than it would if he played in the Soo or Rogle. It is looking to be a crowded D-corps so far, but that will change if anyone gets claimed on waivers. Can the guys on AHL deals get sent to the ECHL to make room for the higher-valued prospects?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
ECHL (3 long shots, don't think I am missing anyone)
Subban/Loverde/Neilsen

No chance any of those 3 head to the ECHL.

LoVerde is very valuable for the Marlies. There are reasons that they offered a player, who had been making under 100K in the AHL, 750K to play on the Marlies. They didn't sign him for that kind of money because they thought he might make the Leafs. They didn't sign him for that kind of money because they thought he would be a dominant D in the AHL - especially as they played him in a depth role for most of the season, and then played him a lot in the playoffs. He is someone who had already won a Calder Cup, who bring leadership, who is a gud pro, who is constantly teaching the Marlies young D. The Leafs acquired him a couple days after drafting Liljegren. I am certain that LoVerde will remain on the Marlies until he retires to work for the organization in a development role.

I think that they see Subban as a D with flaws, but a lot of talent, who they can work with to correct his weaknesses because the Marlies are a team with more resources to do so.

They might trade Nielsen - but if Borgman and Oz are on the Leafs, he is the only D who is really physical on the Marlies. He hasn't been heading in the right direction, but they are not putting a D like Nielsen in the ECHL. If they have enough better options on the Marlies they will trade him.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think theyre anticipating one or two guys being sent down may get claimed.

I just don't see who?

I'm not sure any of our players that we put on waivers are particularly worth claiming. I suppose if someone is looking at just Holl's 2 NHL games last year then maybe. Marincin is kinda just a run of the mill, elite in the AHL, but not NHL quality player.

I was thinking the Leafs might package a couple of our depth guys for a low price (say a 5th for 2 guys) in order to free up the spots

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

LeBlanc is the only one of those 3 who might be a regular on the Marlies. Gudbranson and Jardine will be back in the ECHL full-time. As with last year they may get called up for a game or two if the Marlies are short.

Just as there should be competition for spots on the Leafs, same goes for the Marlies. If they have Nielsen, Sandin and LeBlanc competing for 2 spots, that is a lot better than gifting the players a spot. If Sandin earns it and they feel that one of Nielsen or LeBlanc have to go so be it. They are not going to trade Marincin to make a spot for Nielsen, Sandin or LeBlanc. Same goes for Durzi and Hollowell. Perhaps one of them can make the Marlies if Holl or Carrick are picked on waivers or traded. But they obtained Subban after drafting Durzi and Hollowell knowing that those two were going to want a RD spot on the Marlies.

The Leafs want the Marlies to be flush with talent so that it is not only a competitive team but also so that players know they need to earn their time in the lineup and on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->