Where is the Percy love?!?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I Loov Percy but since he isn't waiver eligible, I see him on the Marlies this season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Percy is awesome

Percy was good in last years preseason and then struggled come regular season game 11-12-13 etc.
He has been good this preseason, we need to see the consistency as the regular season progresses.
Unfortunately, it might be a logjam requiring him to return to the AHL to start.
Does Babcock want to carry 8 D?
We certainly don't want to keep Percy as the 8th D when Fraser can sit behind Hunwick/Marincin/Robias for example.
I'd rather Percy be top 2 in the AHL than no. 8 here.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Percy was good in last years preseason and then struggled come regular season game 11-12-13 etc.
He has been good this preseason, we need to see the consistency as the regular season progresses.
Unfortunately, it might be a logjam requiring him to return to the AHL to start.
Does Babcock want to carry 8 D?
We certainly don't want to keep Percy as the 8th D when Fraser can sit behind Hunwick/Marincin/Robias for example.
I'd rather Percy be top 2 in the AHL than no. 8 here.

I can't see a scenario where Fraser signs anything but a two-way deal and is on the Marlies.
He's just not an NHL defenseman any more.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
With the logjam we have at defense right now I don't see him making the team out of training camp. I would not be surprised to see him as the first injury call up however and he likely will be sticking with the Leafs for good sometime this season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I can't see a scenario where Fraser signs anything but a two-way deal and is on the Marlies.
He's just not an NHL defenseman any more.

Still don't want to carry Percy or Loov as the no. 8.
If Lou can strike a deal for another D, someone like Hunwick can be in that spot.
Until then, Fraser is better in the press box for a couple of weeks at a time vs. any young Marlie.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Still don't want to carry Percy or Loov as the no. 8.
If Lou can strike a deal for another D, someone like Hunwick can be in that spot.
Until then, Fraser is better in the press box for a couple of weeks at a time vs. any young Marlie.

I agree with sending Percy down until he forces the Leafs hand or waivers come into play.

And you're in for a season of pain if you think Hunwick is going to the #8 spot. You're talking about our stud #2 on the top line, bud. :laugh:
:vomits:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree with sending Percy down until he forces the Leafs hand or waivers come into play.

And you're in for a season of pain if you think Hunwick is going to the #8 spot. You're talking about our stud #2 on the top line, bud. :laugh:
:vomits:

LOL I am prepared for the pain.
That's why I'd rather see our future bond on the Marlies and enjoy success.
Don't worry about who makes the 6/7/8 D and 12/13/14 forwards.
Fraser/Arcobello/Boyes/Frattin/Hunwick so on and so on.
They are all throw aways and will probably be featured in Quebec or Las Vegas next go around.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
It appears like they are planning on sending down all our kids to the minors. Neither Babs nor Lou really know the kids/prospects on this team so maybe they just want to get to know them better before they give them a shot. I can't say any kid really stole a spot this year. Maybe they feel like they can make a run at the Calder this year, and that it would be a good development opportunity. Whatever the reason I expect all our prospects start the season in the minors, but we will see a few up during the season to fill in for injuries (I'm looking at Lupul, Bozak, Robidas), they can earn their spots then.

YOYOTCROSTER*

Percy has really improved his foot speed working with Barb over summer. Watch the drills at MasterCard although he will not catch Rielly or Gardiner he is clearly the next fastest guy on their defence in camp. If he does not make it then it sets a bad example to other guys. I can't see Babs doing that.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
He deserves to stay in the mix at this point in camp. He has put up points, defended well, and does not look out of place. He's been doing it night in and night out too. Agree with above posters who say cutting him sets a bad example.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Percy has really improved his foot speed working with Barb over summer. Watch the drills at MasterCard although he will not catch Rielly or Gardiner he is clearly the next fastest guy on their defence in camp. If he does not make it then it sets a bad example to other guys. I can't see Babs doing that.

Definitely better first step than last year. He's probably the smartest player on any team he plays on, he just needs to get that skating up to average.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Percy looked like a star early last year but really cooled off towards the middle of the season. He was okay with the Marlies- not great.

I'd prefer to see him start in the AHL and keep working his way into the lineup. He's not a finished product yet and he's still inconsistent.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
In a rebuilding year its crazy to think that Percy wont make the Leafs. But that is probably reality. Not really sure of the game plan, but have to shake my head if he is not with the Leafs. Rebuild, but don't rebuild. :whatever:

YOYOTCROSTER*

I was at MasterCard this morning. You will be very surprised to see Percy's skating improvement it is very noticeable. Right now he has 2 steps on Phaneuf. He is no longer an average to below average skater wrt speed. He outskates everyone else on current blueline except Gardiner and Rielly. He always was the smartest defence guy on the team. This has been true probably every team he has played on. However this year his skating makes him an everyday nhl defence.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
In a rebuilding year its crazy to think that Percy wont make the Leafs. But that is probably reality. Not really sure of the game plan, but have to shake my head if he is not with the Leafs. Rebuild, but don't rebuild. :whatever:

Is it crazy to have Nylander/Percy/Harrington/Brown/Kapanen etc. all playing for the Calder Cup (possibly winning) and then graduating to the Leafs with that success?
The Leafs could be a revolving door year of benching and re-teaching. Pain. We can spare the next gen guys what we've been watching a little.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Is it crazy to have Nylander/Percy/Harrington/Brown/Kapanen etc. all playing for the Calder Cup (possibly winning) and then graduating to the Leafs with that success?
The Leafs could be a revolving door year of benching and re-teaching. Pain. We can spare the next gen guys what we've been watching a little.

Doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach. If a player such as Percy is ready, than play them. If they are not ready like Marner, I fully support them spending more time in the AHL/CHL etc. to further their development. You don't hold a player back in hopes of wining a Calder Cup. Its time for him to make the jump, especially on a rebuilding team.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Loved him last season and loving him again this preseason. Kid has poise, high IQ, smooth skater, good vision, just a very very good all-around dman. Could develop into a top pairing dman if all goes well (surprisingly).

As for this season:

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Loov
Percy - Polak
-Robidas/Marincin

IMO should be the pairings going off of how they've played so far.

Phaneuf-Gardiner
Henwick-Rielly
Percy-Robidas/Marincin
Marincin/Robidas

See how Percy does then swap him with Henwick if he is playing better. Also swap Gardiner and Rielly if Rielly starts to pull away. IMHO Gardiner has played better then Rielly so far in preseason...but it is only preseason.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Percy looked better at the NHL level than he did in the AHL level at times, hes a smart player which actually helps him more in the NHL where there are much smarter players around him than in the A.

He's had alot of seasoning and should definitely make the third pairing this year, especially over guys like Robidas who is barely an NHL D-man.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I mentioned this before, but I saw Percy twice in person when camp was in Halifax and walked away both times very surprised and impressed how built he was. Seems he worked hard and its paying off. He definitely has an NHL ready frame just maybe requires slightly more seasoning in the AHL before he makes the jump for good.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Pretty crazy he may not make the roster of a team this bad. He probably would have made Chicago's by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad