Where is the Percy love?!?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Kid is destroying it in preseason. Doesn't look like he will be heading back to the AHL this year. I would like to see him play 1 game with Phaneuf but there is no reason why Percy couldn't be a 4th or 5th defenceman.

I've been very impressed. Huge improvements!

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I'd love to see him make it, we do need to get a couple more young players on the team. I just don't see it happening to start the season - barring trades.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The challenge for Percy is not to be a Lupul on defence - tons of skill but oft-injured.

He and Marincin should be on the Leafs but Lou Lam makes me nervous - I could see him trading both young guys for a mid-career #5 d-man. Just being paranoid.

Anyone else nervous about Lou? (I realize this is a Percy appreciation thread)

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Percy should make the team. In order for that to happen Robidas needs to go, he's taking a spot that better players deserve. Should place Robidas on waivers and send him down and give Percy his spot on the Leafs.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He's waiver exempt so that probably hurts his chances of sticking. But he's knocking on the door.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Percy is 22 now. I think that qualifies as being ripened enough. He's not an 18 or 19 year old coming in. If he was having a quiet preseason, yes, another AHL season wouldn't hurt, but Babcock wants to win too. Guys like Loov and Harrington are in that age range too where it would be dissapointing if they didn't look ready. Add Marincin if he continues to show well and Lou should get busy passing some vets through waivers or making some trades to free up roster space for some of these guys.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Percy is fantastic. Showed great poise these last two seasons and been really great this preseason.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He's been one of my favorite leafs thus far, along with Gardiner and Nylander. Hope he makes the team, i don't see a reason for him not too.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Percy has looked good, yes, but I think a season (or at least a half season) in the AHL will help him come back strong from his injury last year. He's not waiver eligible until next season, so let us have a really strong top 4 on the Marlies next year and then give him the spot next year when we'll have at least one spot open from Polak being traded. Hunwick and Robidas could also be gone by next year despite having two years left.

That gives us 4 spots to work with, and 4 waiver eligible defensemen next year if they are ready to go.

We are not going anywhere this year, so let's just wait. Let them get a Calder Cup together first.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Loov and Percy actually. I think Loov is better but Babcock may not agree since he used Percy without Loov in the last minutes of last night's game. I don't like Harrington at all, he's constantly out of position and taking unnecessary chances. Hunwick has been meh, maybe he'll get better as the pre-season advances. I know the analytics folks keep pumping up his last season in New York where they stopped using him in the playoffs but I'm seeing a marginally skilled NHL defenseman not some hidden gem.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I've been wanting him to make the team for a long time. He is steady, rarely makes mistakes, and is just so smooth with the puck and really smart. Looked great in the games he got last year, he really should make the team.

Polak and robidas need to go.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Hunwick was among the first UFA's the Leafs signed and they him for 2 years. I find it hard to believe he would be cut/waived in favour of waiver exempt players.

The Leafs need to be in the market of retaining assets. Move the waiver exempt players to the Marlies until you have moves ready to be made to give them a spot.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Hunwick was among the first UFA's the Leafs signed and they him for 2 years. I find it hard to believe he would be cut/waived in favour of waiver exempt players.

The Leafs need to be in the market of retaining assets. Move the waiver exempt players to the Marlies until you have moves ready to be made to give them a spot.
I just think that if we are truly a rebuilding team we have to start adding some young players to the lineup. The decision to rebuild was supposedly made last year but the actual rebuild doesn't look like it will start until next year

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I just think that if we are truly a rebuilding team we have to start adding some young players to the lineup. The decision to rebuild was supposedly made last year but the actual rebuild doesn't look like it will start until next year

Seems to me like they are going to use one more season to develop players with the Marlies, while filling the team with stop-gaps they can flip at the deadline. Unless there are deals to be made now - there's no point in dumping potential assets for free.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I'd keep him in the AHL for another year, maybe call ups for injuries. I'd actually give him the C for the Marlies if Carrick (I think) didn't already have it. He'll definitely get some NHL time once trades start to happen. Polak is the only real 1-year trade bait we have this season on defence. So there's an opening for the last 15 games.

I feel people don't understand how great a Calder run would be for the Marlies. Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Percy, Lööv, etc. all getting deep playoff experience with a coach that knows the NHL system that Babcock will be running for the next 8 years. It's unmeasurable experience.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Percy is 22 now. I think that qualifies as being ripened enough. He's not an 18 or 19 year old coming in. If he was having a quiet preseason, yes, another AHL season wouldn't hurt, but Babcock wants to win too. Guys like Loov and Harrington are in that age range too where it would be dissapointing if they didn't look ready. Add Marincin if he continues to show well and Lou should get busy passing some vets through waivers or making some trades to free up roster space for some of these guys.

I see it as Percy - Loov - Harrington in that order as the first three knocking on the door (due to waiver exemption, age, etc).

We'll likely start with Phaneuf, Hunwick, Reilly, Gardiner, Polak, Marincin, and Robidas ...

I can see at least one of the three being brought in to the 7th spot and moving Robidas to the 8th spot. The other two will be first call ups for injuries until the trade deadline, but I can see all three finishing the season with the Leafs.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Seems to me like they are going to use one more season to develop players with the Marlies, while filling the team with stop-gaps they can flip at the deadline. Unless there are deals to be made now - there's no point in dumping potential assets for free.

Is Mike Hunwick actually an asset. He hasn't been a full time player for years and guys like him are available for free. Robidas is also almost untradable yet is blocking a younger guy. I would like to see one young player get a shot now instead of adding a bunch of young guys all at once next year.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Is Mike Hunwick actually an asset. He hasn't been a full time player for years and guys like him are available for free. Robidas is also almost untradable yet is blocking a younger guy. I would like to see one young player get a shot now instead of adding a bunch of young guys all at once next year.

Hunwick was signed for 2 years. They obviously feel like they have an asset in him. Robidas I agree with, but I think the only way you'll see young guys is if theres a trade or injury.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Love Percy.

It looks like his rough season last year hasnt discouraged him and he's back to the player we saw last pre-season. I'm hoping management is bold and brings him up for an extended period of time this year.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Hunwick was signed for 2 years. They obviously feel like they have an asset in him. Robidas I agree with, but I think the only way you'll see young guys is if theres a trade or injury.

I don't think the Leafs are going to rebuild the way most posters on these forums think. People think that almost the entire roster is being traded for draft picks but I see no indication that management is on board with this plan. Neither Percy or Loov are new to pro hockey. They have spent time in the minors and if thet aren't ready now they may never be. Watching them outplay a bunch of castoffs and not get a true chance would be disappointing. Babcock said that a tie goes to the veteran but these vets have to step up their games to be equal to the young guys. I also dont see that we owe a guy like Hunwick a chance over our homegrown prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad