Speculation: Where is Tatar going to go?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think that's very unlikely. If he's going to sign an under market deal I think he would do it with a contender. Makes no sense to take a big pay cut to go to a team that isn't a contender to win.

I was with you until you said "not a contender to win".

When you have Matthews Tavares, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly you are always a contender to win.

The key is finding the right pieces around them, can Kerfoot, Bunting, Ritchie and Kase be those pieces? Well Kerfoot can we know that he's shown that the others? that remains to be seen

Feb 19, 2018
I think he ends up in Vancouver. Great spot for him on a one year show me deal. Great depth for a three line offensive team they want to run this year.

Reactions: Fenris

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Rumor is there's mutual interest between him and the Leafs.

Lots of teams could use the depth. I'm thinking the Avs may sign him.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
FA Frenzy has come and gone and one relatively important name is still out there: Tomas Tatar. Where do you all think he signs? Obviously, I think Colorado should go after him with their nearly $5M cap space.

Colorado makes sense after losing Saad and Donskoi.

2 x $4.5M

Except they lack cap space right now.

Maybe LA if they move Maatta or Quick.

Flames could make a lot of sense in regards to cap space and roster.
They only need to sign a backup goalie and some minor moves unless they find a better D-man somewhere.

Last edited:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Seattle should take him.

Deep Fried Kraken with Tatar sauce.

They probably could sell enough to make up for his contract.

Reactions: Gjman2019

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
"his reputation" lmao, he's allergic to physical contact, it's as simple as that

anyone who pays him more than 4.5M-5M will regret it, below 4M he's a solid regular season player
Agreed. I wouldn’t touch him for more that 4M x 2 years.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Tomas Tataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr.....What's uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppp

Ok all joking aside i think the Oilers should be all over this is they can fit him.....

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This guy isn’t going to get as much as many predict. At best he gets a Hoffman deal. At worst I can see $2M per year.

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
I don't see how he's allergic to the playoffs given that he plays a two way compete oriented regular season game. Lets not forget Montreal scratched Caulfield as well and he could have easily not found his way back in but instead he's the second coming of clutch. They had like 10 wingers who were all deserving of ice time.

A team like NJ would be smart to get him to get through the season, and if he's willing to sign cheap to shake the playoff rep Colorado should have him replace Saad

Reactions: Henkka

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Tomas Tataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr.....What's uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppp

Ok all joking aside i think the Oilers should be all over this is they can fit him.....
Oilers couldn't fit him unless they moved Koskinen without retention, and even then goaltending is Holland's #1 priority, followed by D. He already made his offensive depth moves and I doubt he'd take Tatar unless there was a crazy discount, like $1.5M or something else that would never happen.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Juste like many others, I think NJ would be a good fit for him.

Obviously NJD want to make the playoffs and he's a good one to help a team make it.

It's once you're there that it gets complicated
At this point, I think most Dev fans would accept that problem.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
As a Habs fan I don’t want him back but think he is a pretty decent player. His game did not translate well to the playoffs (though I don’t think his PO performance is as bad as some people suggest). He would be a great pick up for a team looking for a 3rd or 2nd line wing.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Rumor is there's mutual interest between him and the Leafs.

Lots of teams could use the depth. I'm thinking the Avs may sign him.

Leafs have zero cap space and if he was going to sign with them for league minimum it would already be done

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I was with you until you said "not a contender to win".

When you have Matthews Tavares, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly you are always a contender to win.

That is quite obviously not true.

The simple fact that you listed five names and none of them were a goaltender is alarming. Morgan Rielly as the only blueliner doesn't bode well either.

This group of guys has clearly demonstrated that they aren't contenders to win by repeatedly losing.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Colorado makes sense after losing Saad and Donskoi.

2 x $4.5M

Except they lack cap space right now.

Maybe LA if they move Maatta or Quick.

Flames could make a lot of sense in regards to cap space and roster.
They only need to sign a backup goalie and some minor moves unless they find a better D-man somewhere.
Yeah Colorado would be a good fit, but the absolute most they could go to is ~$3m, but that's with a 22 man roster and zero capspace to accrue. Realistically the maximum number the Avs could go to is $2.5m AAV. They need a bit of space for bonuses and for cap accrual.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That is quite obviously not true.

The simple fact that you listed five names and none of them were a goaltender is alarming. Morgan Rielly as the only blueliner doesn't bode well either.

This group of guys has clearly demonstrated that they aren't contenders to win by repeatedly losing.

I listed the core I don't consider Muzzin core, or Brodie and Campbell hasn't played enough to be included and Marzek has yet so yes right now the core is Matthews Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly.

anf if you are going to ask why I didn't talk about Muzzin, Brodie or Campbell but did mention Bunting, Ritchie, Kerfoot and Kase it's because it's the forwards that let them down, not the defense, not the goaltending those were fine, it was the forward depth.

Can Kerfoot, Bunting,Ritchie and Kase provide the necessary depth scoring? Kerfoot can, the others? We will find out

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I listed the core I don't consider Muzzin core, or Brodie and Campbell hasn't played enough to be included and Marzek has yet so yes right now the core is Matthews Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly.

anf if you are going to ask why I didn't talk about Muzzin, Brodie or Campbell but did mention Bunting, Ritchie, Kerfoot and Kase it's because it's the forwards that let them down, not the defense, not the goaltending those were fine, it was the forward depth.

Can Kerfoot, Bunting,Ritchie and Kase provide the necessary depth scoring? Kerfoot can, the others? We will find out

Don't you feel silly repeatedly claiming this team is a "contender" when they keep losing in the first round? You've been trumpeting this team as "a contender" for a few years now and it's quite obviously not true. At what point to you acknowledge that the Emperor Has No Clothes?

Reactions: barbu

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Colorado still has ~$2.3M left :nod:

Nice, cheap, 1-year deal for Tatar to shed his playoff reputation.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Don't you feel silly repeatedly claiming this team is a "contender" when they keep losing in the first round? You've been trumpeting this team as "a contender" for a few years now and it's quite obviously not true. At what point to you acknowledge that the Emperor Has No Clothes?

Tampa didn't win either for a long time, they were even swept after tying an NHL record for wins, then they broke through after they found the right support pieces.

Washington didn't win for YEARS, then they broke through after they found the right support pieces.

St Louis had star studded teams for YEARS that didn't win until they broke through after they found the right support pieces.

I could go on forever.

I refuse to believe a core of Matthews, Marner, Tavares Rielly and Nylander is not talented enough to win, but like the 3 examples above, and the countless others I could have used they need to find the right support pieces in this case those pieces are mostly forwards as that's what failed them last year is it right support pieces this time? that answer comes in April

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Leafs have zero cap space and if he was going to sign with them for league minimum it would already be done

In the NHL there is a thing called a 'trade.' Probably he'll have to wait until Engvall is moved for a pick.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Tampa didn't win either for a long time, they were even swept after tying an NHL record for wins, then they broke through after they found the right support pieces.

Washington didn't win for YEARS, then they broke through after they found the right support pieces.

St Louis had star studded teams for YEARS that didn't win until they broke through after they found the right support pieces.

I could go on forever.

I refuse to believe a core of Matthews, Marner, Tavares Rielly and Nylander is not talented enough to win, but like the 3 examples above, and the countless others I could have used they need to find the right support pieces in this case those pieces are mostly forwards as that's what failed them last year is it right support pieces this time? that answer comes in April

It's quite obvious you refuse to believe it.

That's probably why you have made up silly excuses to try and to make yourself feel better. For example, it's kind of silly to claim that Tampa "didn't win for a long time." Tampa lost in the 2015 finals for example. You are acting as if the issue for the Leafs is "winning the Cup" when the issue for the Leafs is "losing in the first round."

Surely you see there is a WORLD of difference between those two things.

If Tampa Bay lost in the first round and blew 3-1 series leads and lost in the spectacular way the Maple Leafs keep losing, it would be an interesting comparison. But that quite obviously is not the case here and yet here you are - at a hockey discussion board where everyone clearly knows that - trying to sell us that silly story.

Then you want to pretend that the Capitals are somehow an apt comparison? The Capitals made significant changes and said goodbye to star players like Mike Green and Alex Semin - guys who were major parts of the core - before they figured out the recipe to win. The Leafs General Manager has refused to do what the Capitals did, and that is why he and his team are drawing so much criticism. So again, you are pointing to an example of what the Leafs *should* do, not what they are doing, and somehow you're pretending it's supporting your stance.

With the Blues I don't even know what you think they illustrate as an example. The Blues management didn't stubbornly and stupidly stand by a group of guys who couldn't win a single playoff round. But furthermore, they actively went out and sought out the kind of players you need to win the gritty, physically demanding and defence first hockey that happens in the Playoffs. If the Leafs saw what happened the last few springs and went out to get a guy like Ryan O'Rielly who plays a gritty grinding game or Bryaden Schenn who delivers a 200 foot two way effort on the ice, the team would be applauded for having a management that understands what is needed to win. If the Leafs had the kind of balance that Blues team had, with guys like Tarasenko, Perron, Schenn and O'Rielly upfront and studs like Pieterangelo, Parayko and Bouwmeester on the backend nobody would laugh when their fans pretended they were in the mix to win the Cup. It's a bizarre example because the Leafs are nothing like that Blues team.

You claim that "all they need to do is find the right support pieces" yet you somehow are ignoring that with the money they have left over after their inept mismanagement they are bringing in players their fans have to google to find out who they even are.

Reactions: barbu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad