Speculation: Where is Tatar going to go?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you were his age, and coming in with his offensive production over the past 3 years, and seeing guys like Hoffman getting 4.5M$ for 4 years, wold you take 3M$ for 1 year?

Supply and demand.

The demand for the important guys is now over, the guys left simply will have to take what is offered or move on to the KHL.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Tatar is soft and inconsistant and has worse stats than Hoffman; if Hoffman got 4.5M/4 then Tatar is getting less, whether he likes it or not

Not a bad idea to take a one year deal at perhaps a discount to play on a team that can offer him quality playing time at 1 yr to prove himself that he's worth more.
lol
Tatar has been literally the most productive player of the Habs since his arrival.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Devils board wants him (mostly). Any contract two years or less I'd be happy with at pretty much any AAV.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Juste like many others, I think NJ would be a good fit for him.

Obviously NJD want to make the playoffs and he's a good one to help a team make it.

It's once you're there that it gets complicated

Reactions: Fenris

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think that's very unlikely. If he's going to sign an under market deal I think he would do it with a contender. Makes no sense to take a big pay cut to go to a team that isn't a contender to win.
I was thinking kind of like the Barrie signing in Edmonton.

You're not necessarily picking a top contender, but you are picking a spot where you feel you can fit in like a glove and rebuild your value. In Toronto there are basically two plum spots in the top six for a winger to have a career year, and not much internal competition to challenge someone like Tatar for those spots. They are even penciling in Bunting there.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Toronto doesn't need players to get them to the playoffs, they need players to help them once they're there.

Tatar doesn't fit the bill.

Plus Leafs are right under the cap

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Tatar is worth alot more than $3m. No way he takes less than 4.

I think if he were "worth" more than 4, he'd have signed by now. He didn't have a great season in a contract year, and there's justifiable criticism about his game in the playoffs.

I don't think Tatar will go more than one year unless the offer is closer to $5M.

Guys typically get more cash when the term drops. I'm a Tatar fan, but I just can't see him getting $5m per on a multi year deal right now. Historically, the longer you wait to pick a dance partner the worse the offers get.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Guys typically get more cash when the term drops. I'm a Tatar fan, but I just can't see him getting $5m per on a multi year deal right now. Historically, the longer you wait to pick a dance partner the worse the offers get.

Perhaps, but if he believes in himself, he'll go for a one-year deal and then sign a longer-term next summer. $3M per year is basically bottom-6 salary, why sign that kind of contract long term when you are a top 6 player? (Avg salary is about $4M)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Toronto doesn't need players to get them to the playoffs, they need players to help them once they're there.

Tatar doesn't fit the bill.

Plus Leafs are right under the cap
That narrative of having players who just aren't meant to succeed in the playoffs is so false imo. It constantly gets proven wrong, as these players get a chip on their shoulder. A lot of success or lack of it is based on factors outside of their control, especially in the playoffs where there are so few games and so screw ups or successes get amplified.

Your issue of the idea is that Toronto wouldn't want him, but in their division there is a chance they miss the playoffs so I'd think it might be good to hedge that by getting a good regular season player, especially if they are talented and cheap.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
He is waiting for LA to make some moves to free some cap. Tatar-Danault-Arvidsson

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I think a lot of you are nuts to offer him some of these numbers.

This is the type of player the oilers need. Shoot shoot shoot, and he doesn't need much help from his line mates to do it.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think he gets ~ $3.5-4M x 2 years from someone. If he’s can be had for $3.5M, I’ll be disappointed if the Canes don’t end up signing him.

It is curious to me that he hasn’t yet signed. His career numbers point to him being a pretty consistent 50pt guy and with teams like CAR, COL and NJD needing scoring, you’d think he’d be snapped up by now. I wonder if the playoff contenders like CAR and COL are lowballing him based on his lack of playoff success over the past few seasons.

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
He's 31ish IIRC. Last thing he wants is a 1 year contract. ESPECIALLY @ 3.5M$.
The point is teams might be hesistant to meet Tatar's demands; which is likely similar to what Hoffman got.

I can see a team like Seattle offer 3-4 years at between 3.5-4M but not sure if Tatar is ready to take that offer esp if it's closer to the 3.5M range.

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
lol
Tatar has been literally the most productive player of the Habs since his arrival.
No. It shows how much you watch the Habs.

He was a contributing factor in the regular season but no show in the playoffs.
Petry, Suzuki, Toffoli, Price, Caufield have all been more productive than him

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

don't forget Youppi, and the pretzel venders.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia

How can he contribute in the playoffs if he does not get a proper chance? It is quite obvious to me that Habs wrote him off due to his ending contract.

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
How can he contribute in the playoffs if he does not get a proper chance? It is quite obvious to me that Habs wrote him off due to his ending contract.
They gave him a chance.

2 pts in 10 playoff games last year; 1 pt in 5 playoff games this year.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
How can he contribute in the playoffs if he does not get a proper chance?

Playing him on the first line wasn't giving him a chance?

Danault had an expiring contract. So did Armia. So did Gustafvson. All of them took regular shifts.

Tatar was sidelined because of his play, not his contract status.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

He's never been a playoff performer,

3 points in 15 playoff games with Montreal, was healthy scratched most of the playoffs on path to the finals this year.

2 points in 8 playoff games with Vegas scratched on way to finals in his 1 year there.

7 points in 17 playoff games with Detroit.

Career regular season points/game - .6
Playoffs career points/game - .3

He is literally half as effective in the playoffs and he's played in 40 playoff games so it's not insignificant either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad