Speculation: Where does Tavares end up?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The Isles board is a fun place right now. People hoping for a career ending injury for Tavares.

Reactions: LordZapp

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I continue to trust in Yzerman. JT's overpaid in Toronto so I'm quite happy he's come in Tampa.
Our team is competitive.
As centers, we've Stamkos, Miller, Point and maybe Johnson.
We don't need Tavares.
For us, he's only a luxury.
I want to see the intelligent and smart trades, because I want to compete in May-June.
I don't care to win in the summer...and then to pass 30.40 years or more without a Cup.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
He moves inside the division so we really need McDonagh to be his old self and not a tire fire watching his partner skate backwards.

Pens added Cullen (4C) and Jack Johnson. Cullen is a great signing for them and with the way Schultz and Oleksiak have turned it around there, I expect Johnson to have a bit of a revival. Mobile and probably on the PP unit, that's a good signing for them.

Caps return with nearly their entire cup winning lineup. Toronto gets a lot better and tougher to play against.

Muevelo

Apr 7, 2018
11 m is too much for tavares. He may be top 10 but he's getting paid more than anyone else in that top 10 .
No it is not. Teams were offering more than 11. So if you really think he was going to get lesson 11 then you're delusional. When all those contracts are up, they will be starting at 11 million nowadays. Theoverpaid players are Getzlaf Perry and Toews. Hall and Kuch will start their negotiations at 11 million. Look at what Drew Doughty just got, EK will probably make more. Contract prices are going up just like they are in football. If 11 is too much for a player of this caliber than someone playing on the third line making 5 million is triple that of being overpaid

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Crosby: 8.7 mlns/year.
Malkin: 9 more or less.
Stamkos: 8.5.

But no, Tavares is not overpaid.
ahahahahahahahahahah

Different situations though. Those were signed a while back for the pens players and they took huge discounts/Have huge discounts compared to the going rate. Stamkos took one as well but at the same time a lot of games he looks like half of that value.

11M for top forwards is going to be the going rate. Within 5 years, with two years left on Tavares contract, more forwards will be in the Kopitar/Tavares range as defenseman are commanding that too. Kucherov can easily be there next summer as well. It's going to be normal or edging normal halfway through his contract. It's a slight overpayment now for a contract that really won't be when hes up for renewal at age 34.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Different situations though. Those were signed a while back for the pens players and they took huge discounts/Have huge discounts compared to the going rate. Stamkos took one as well but at the same time a lot of games he looks like half of that value.

11M for top forwards is going to be the going rate. Within 5 years, with two years left on Tavares contract, more forwards will be in the Kopitar/Tavares range as defenseman are commanding that too. Kucherov can easily be there next summer as well. It's going to be normal or edging normal halfway through his contract. It's a slight overpayment now for a contract that really won't be when hes up for renewal at age 34.
I don't think Kucherov will ask 11 mln or more. I think Kucherov will ask 8-9 millions a year.
I can agree when you said that Karlsson will ask for an high contract, also because he'll find the team that will give him the money he asks, also because the cap space.
I don't know what happens in the next 5-6 years, but, for now, imho JT is overpaid.

Muevelo

Apr 7, 2018
If JT is overpaid them pretty much the entire league is beingoverpaid. which is a very real possibility considering all these contracts that are being giving out. The best contract in my opinion is Logan Couture. He probably could have gotten 10 plus on the market.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
If JT is overpaid them pretty much the entire league is beingoverpaid. which is a very real possibility considering all these contracts that are being giving out. The best contract in my opinion is Logan Couture. He probably could have gotten 10 plus on the market.

I was with you until the end.

Logan Couture's highest point total is 67 points while being on of the better playoff performers at the moment. 8M is fine. He's also 29 years old and signed until his late 30s. 10M would be an overpayment almost the entirety of his contract.

Muevelo

Apr 7, 2018
I agree 10 + would be an overpayment. but I don't doubt that there's a team that would give him that I don't think he's worth it. 8 is literally the perfect number for someone like him. him
I was with you until the end.

Logan Couture's highest point total is 67 points while being on of the better playoff performers at the moment. 8M is fine. He's also 29 years old and signed until his late 30s. 10M would be an overpayment almost the entirety of his contract.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I feel like Yzerman signed McDonagh and the Leafs raised us John Tavares. We got bested today and the feels hurt. Front loaded high offense teams can get by with shoddy defenseman. It there's a system in place that limits their time in their own end, a heavy offense can do wonders. One competent defenseman joining the Leafs and it's going to hurt anymore. Whether we like it or not, Toronto is creeping into relevancy and has a really bright future. They sort that blue line out and they're going to be a nightmare.

This feels like the summer of 2015 all over again. Staying put while other teams make moves that were already good didn't bode well for us heading into 2016. Not appealing to a huge roster turnover or signing a marquee player but we are pretty silent on bringing in any size so far which is a number one priority in my opinion.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
I feel like Yzerman signed McDonagh and the Leafs raised us John Tavares. We got bested today and the feels hurt. Front loaded high offense teams can get by with shoddy defenseman. It there's a system in place that limits their time in their own end, a heavy offense can do wonders. One competent defenseman joining the Leafs and it's going to hurt anymore. Whether we like it or not, Toronto is creeping into relevancy and has a really bright future. They sort that blue line out and they're going to be a nightmare.

This feels like the summer of 2015 all over again. Staying put while other teams make moves that were already good didn't bode well for us heading into 2016. Not appealing to a huge roster turnover or signing a marquee player but we are pretty silent on bringing in any size so far which is a number one priority in my opinion.
I agree, unfortunately. We are still the superior team. But im starting to shiver at the thought of Karlsson to the leafs.

Reactions: Black and Blue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad