Speculation: Where does Tavares end up?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Of course we have a shot. It all comes down to what Tavares wants. I think he go backs to the islanders but would love to have him on our team.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Of course we have a shot. It all comes down to what Tavares wants. I think he go backs to the islanders but would love to have him on our team.

I dunno, the islanders have alot of holes, i think it would be a mistake to resign. They aren't contending anytime soon.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I dunno, the islanders have alot of holes, i think it would be a mistake to resign. They aren't contending anytime soon.
Well we'll know in a couple days. The real Tampa bay thing to do would be to trade away a player clearing up cap space and making everyone think we are getting Tavares only to sign a player like Lucic.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Well we'll know in a couple days. The real Tampa bay thing to do would be to trade away a player clearing up cap space and making everyone think we are getting Tavares only to sign a player like Lucic.
Oh God, please don't bring that fool here.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Question: where are people getting the news that Karlsson is in play - specifically to us?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Question: where are people getting the news that Karlsson is in play - specifically to us?

Based on how we were in on him at the deadline - not sure why people think Karlsson is still an option for us right now. We already lost the assets to acquire him in the McDonagh trade, if Ottawa can't re sign him they'll trade him to another team for the biggest package. No way Yzerman banks on possibly signing a guy that might possibly hit UFA one year from now. Karlsson isn't plan A, B or C right now.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Based on how we were in on him at the deadline - not sure why people think Karlsson is still an option for us right now. We already lost the assets to acquire him in the McDonagh trade, if Ottawa can't re sign him they'll trade him to another team for the biggest package. No way Yzerman banks on possibly signing a guy that might possibly hit UFA one year from now. Karlsson isn't plan A, B or C right now.

I think we are in on Karlsson if and only if a few things happen.

1. We dont sign Tavares.
2. Karlsson says that he wants to wait until UFA 2019 to do extension.
3. Or he says I only want to play for TB.

#3 is unlikely but if he says he wants to wait until 2019 UFA, I think that gives us a chance to pay the necessary price and maybe in this case he re-signs because I think we would be in on him in FA. I also think he has a big interest in signing here. Only way I see it working now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think we are in on Karlsson if and only if a few things happen.

1. We dont sign Tavares.
2. Karlsson says that he wants to wait until UFA 2019 to do extension.
3. Or he says I only want to play for TB.

#3 is unlikely but if he says he wants to wait until 2019 UFA, I think that gives us a chance to pay the necessary price and maybe in this case he re-signs because I think we would be in on him in FA. I also think he has a big interest in signing here. Only way I see it working now.

1. We wouldn't plan for Karlsson a year in advance anyways - Yzerman should and will pursue other options along the year if they come up,not let the looming thought of signing Karlsson in the off-season affect his decisions.
2. He would never outright say that, makes no sense...
3. Again he would never say that, makes no sense...

Your last 2 options suggest he completely tanks his character value for the sake of coming to TB? Him saying either of those things completely tanks his trade value to any team and completely screws over the Ottawa Senators. Not to mention why would he purposely tell teams he wants to wait to UFA and forfeit any chance of an 8 year deal for himself.

Last edited:

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
1. We wouldn't plan for Karlsson a year in advance anyways - Yzerman should and will pursue other options along the year if they come up,not let the looming thought of signing Karlsson in the off-season affect his decisions.
#3 could happen. He and Hedman are buddies

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So he might say he wants to go there? I don't see the need for the question.

So he's going to publicly say he wants to only play for TB and screw over himself and the team that drafted him? You do know how leverage works in negotiations right?

Brad Richards didn't come back to Tampa with his 2 bffs on the team either. Going to need something more substantial than "him and a guy are buddies."

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
So he's going to publicly say he wants to only play for TB and screw over himself and the team that drafted him? You do know how leverage works in negotiations right?

Brad Richards didn't come back to Tampa with his 2 bffs on the team either. Going to need something more substantial than "him and a guy are buddies."
Im well aware how leverage works, but leverage is irrelevant if he has no intention of resigning in the first place. It's not like there hasn't been any precedent with a player voicing he wants to play for a particular team. I only stated that it was a possibility with him being close with Hedman.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
In all fairness, management hasn't really been that amazing there in Ottawa given how they handled previous situations and the thing with Hoffman. Who knows, maybe he wants a change of scenery, maybe he can put it past him and he wants to stay there for the duration of his career? I don't know. It's gotten so quiet there at the moment though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It's more than that. At least a couple of insiders, and the better ones (Lebrun), have said they believe we're still in on Karlsson.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Your last 2 options suggest he completely tanks his character value for the sake of coming to TB? Him saying either of those things completely tanks his trade value to any team and completely screws over the Ottawa Senators. Not to mention why would he purposely tell teams he wants to wait to UFA and forfeit any chance of an 8 year deal for himself.

I'm not saying he would do this. Saying this is what would need to happen for our best chance to acquire him as of now without having to gut the rest of our prospects. Which is what it would take to acquire him now. Which realistically is probably our only chance at acquiring him. Unless what I said happens. Or SY pays what's necessary to get him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the fact that Cooper showed to the meeting with Tavares means this is more than just a formality/show of respect to meet with him. And, with as many criticisms I've had of Coop over the years, he's probably an excellent guy to sell the team and city on somebody.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The fact that this deal is "in place," does suggest that it might be with one of the Tavares suitors, as a back-up plan, or on some other "might-be" deal (Karlsson). I doubt it's us though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad