Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I just don’t see it with Montreal. Seems like Toronto could offer all MTL could while also offering a better chance to compete now.
Really hard to understand JT motivations without knowing him.
Things we know...
1. he wants to win.
2. he is getting married
3. he cares about the NYI organization
4. he still had deep roots in GTA
5. he want to get paid

How does one weigh that?
what else don't we know?
Hypothetically he might want out but is negotiating a sign and trade deal with NYI.
I totally get the frustration of NYI fans. The leafs wanted to move Sundin to get something back. He opted to use his NTC and ran his time out and resigned with Vancouver. Some of us leaf fans never forgave him for that but maybe JT is looking to help NYI out. Who knows?

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Really hard to understand JT motivations without knowing him.
Things we know...

Well, obviously, but you’ve kinda gotta exclude that stuff because you could say it about any team. Maybe he’s just in love with the city of Phoenix. Who knows?

Excluding that variable, it just seems that other teams will be able to match or beat Montreal in pretty much all areas. For a non-French Canadian player.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well, obviously, but you’ve kinda gotta exclude that stuff because you could say it about any team. Maybe he’s just in love with the city of Phoenix. Who knows?

Excluding that variable, it just seems that other teams will be able to match or beat Montreal in pretty much all areas. For a non-French Canadian player.
Don't get me wrong...I hate the Habs. That being said, playing for the Montreal Canadians would be a big deal to a lot of hockey players. Storied franchise and awesome city

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If Tavares leaves Isles I do not see him going to a team without a solid D with a PP quarterback type of D and he will not opt for a team without a proven goal-tending duo. There are the slight possibility that his family may convince him to take a discount for his home town team or his agent may advise him on taking the best term ($, term, NMC) but if winning the SC is foremost on his mind, he will pick a team with a stable balanced roster with goalies highly capable of winning the SC, with location and contract terms rounding out his decision. What happens within the next three weeks in the NHL including all complete trades may heavily impact his decisions. I do not think at this stage the draft (order or who got drafted) will have any impact on his decision. I am a big Tavares' fan, but he is not Crosby nor OV. He likely cannot and knows very well that he alone cannot carry a team to the SC final. He would need a solid team, top notch goalie performance with a very strong system to do that. Yes, he has carried his team to the playoff before but the grinding 16 games where opposing team can focus on shutting you down offensively each game will be a tough run for him. He has a good shot but not the type of quick one timers that can break open a game on PP. In fact he need to go to a team that has an elite shooter and a very smart D quartering the back end both on 5 on 5 and PP. I know JT's game, he is strong on stealing pucks in the offensive zone and he has ability to cycle well and set up players in the open or near the net. He plays best with teammates who can onetime the shot accurately or who can consistently get to the front of the net, fight off the D and complete the shots.

I also do not see that he will be the best fit for Toronto as that team's biggest need is on improving their D and I believe their number one focus this summer will be acquiring a true #1 or #2 D via trade or UFA. They have plenty of offensive talents but without key contribution (both offensively and defensively) from the blue line they cannot succeed in the post season, let alone winning the SC.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If Tavares leaves Isles I do not see him going to a team without a solid D with a PP quarterback type of D and he will not opt for a team without a proven goal-tending duo. There are the slight possibility that his family may convince him to take a discount for his home town team or his agent may advise him on taking the best term ($, term, NMC) but if winning the SC is foremost on his mind, he will pick a team with a stable balanced roster with goalies highly capable of winning the SC, with location and contract terms rounding out his decision. What happens within the next three weeks in the NHL including all complete trades may heavily impact his decisions. I do not think at this stage the draft (order or who got drafted) will have any impact on his decision. I am a big Tavares' fan, but he is not Crosby nor OV. He likely cannot and knows very well that he alone cannot carry a team to the SC final. He would need a solid team, top notch goalie performance with a very strong system to do that. Yes, he has carried his team to the playoff before but the grinding 16 games where opposing team can focus on shutting you down offensively each game will be a tough run for him. He has a good shot but not the type of quick one timers that can break open a game on PP. In fact he need to go to a team that has an elite shooter and a very smart D quartering the back end both on 5 on 5 and PP. I know JT's game, he is strong on stealing pucks in the offensive zone and he has ability to cycle well and set up players in the open or near the net. He plays best with teammates who can onetime the shot accurately or who can consistently get to the front of the net, fight off the D and complete the shots.

I also do not see that he will be the best fit for Toronto as that team's biggest need is on improving their D and I believe their number one focus this summer will be acquiring a true #1 or #2 D via trade or UFA. They have plenty of offensive talents but without key contribution (both offensively and defensively) from the blue line they cannot succeed in the post season, let alone winning the SC.
But the Toronto D core won't look the same come October with a couple changes coming so we can't really say what the top 6 D looks like yet. Marner may not be a D man but don't kid yourself he can quarterback a PP. I'd say JT would want a chance at the cup,number 1 goalie, great coach and great depth at forward. Toronto makes the most sense....

Reactions: ToneDog

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If St. Louis can resolve their G and coaching issues before July 1st, they will be the front runner if Tavares decide to leave Isles for good. They have exactly what he needs but the Goal-tending and team performance in the 2nd half needs to be addressed. Same with Dallas, if only they resolve their Goalie problem, they do have the kind of team that Tavares can fit well and the state tax can also help with his net pay. I would put them as a dark horse for running at Tavares. Dallas does have the best signed young D in the NHL right now.

Also SJ is a high probability if he is willing to move out far west. The time zone difference may have a factor here. His family is based in Toronto so it will be harder for them to stay up to watch him play games live on TV. Believe me or not, this may play into his decision.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If St. Louis can resolve their G and coaching issues before July 1st, they will be the front runner if Tavares decide to leave Isles for good. They have exactly what he needs but the Goal-tending and team performance in the 2nd half needs to be addressed. Same with Dallas, if only they resolve their Goalie problem, they do have the kind of team that Tavares can fit well and the state tax can also help with his net pay. I would put them as a dark horse for running at Tavares. Dallas does have the best signed young D in the NHL right now.

Also SJ is a high probability if he is willing to move out far west. The time zone difference may have a factor here. His family is based in Toronto so it will be harder for them to stay up to watch him play games live on TV. Believe me or not, this may play into his decision.

St Louis is a non playoff club that has declining point totals 3 years in a row. They were sellers at the trade deadline. Coaching and goal tending have to be estabished by actual results or its still another question mark. Dallas just hired a college coach with no NHL experience and they are another non playoff club, so in both cases he has a new monster contract and has to be the savior. Tavares is a goal scorer and fits well on any team except maybe the Pens. As long as he doesn't think the Knights are a flash in the pan they have cap, money, a great tax advantage, and just went to the finals. If it doesn't cost $12M the Preds could maybe squeeze him in if they move Turris. Thornton's $8M comes off the Sharks this summer and they had 100pts this season and 14 playoff appearance in 15 years. What would a player sign on for 7 years with a non playoff team because what they might be able to accomplish with other changes? There are no do-overs for your last contract. Don't get me wrong, I know StL and Dallas could well both be 100pt teams next season, but you are assuming he is more concerned with the future club's defense corp than their 17-18 results and that seems kind of unlikely.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
St Louis is a non playoff club that has declining point totals 3 years in a row. They were sellers at the trade deadline. Coaching and goal tending have to be estabished by actual results or its still another question mark. Dallas just hired a college coach with no NHL experience and they are another non playoff club, so in both cases he has a new monster contract and has to be the savior. Tavares is a goal scorer and fits well on any team except maybe the Pens. As long as he doesn't think the Knights are a flash in the pan they have cap, money, a great tax advantage, and just went to the finals. If it doesn't cost $12M the Preds could maybe squeeze him in if they move Turris. Thornton's $8M comes off the Sharks this summer and they had 100pts this season and 14 playoff appearance in 15 years. What would a player sign on for 7 years with a non playoff team because what they might be able to accomplish with other changes? There are no do-overs for your last contract. Don't get me wrong, I know StL and Dallas could well both be 100pt teams next season, but you are assuming he is more concerned with the future club's defense corp than their 17-18 results and that seems kind of unlikely.

I don’t understand this whol belief that the blues are declining. We missed the playoffs by a single game, all whilst dealing with injuries to critical players including a top 6 winger for the whole season. If we hadn’t traded stastny we would have made the playoffs I have zero doubt in this. What makes a difference is that we sold stastny in order to get some value before his contract expired. Everyone knew that the blues were not going to win a cup with the roster they were stuck with at the end of the year. That’s not being a seller in the traditional sense that’s recognizing an opportunity and taking the best return you can. With a healthy Fabbri not to mention the other significant injuries we sustained in Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson and Edmundson down the stretch the blues wouldn’t have been sellers.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
There’s a lot more to hockey than PPG at age 21. You’re conveniently counting the two best seasons of two players who have failed to match those marks since and don’t look like they’ll be back any time soon.

Besides, what’s your point? Do you really think that Tavares is going to look at Montreal and day “wow, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Weber, Price...that’s one hell of a group. They won 29 games this season!” :laugh:

My point has nothing to do with Tavares, and tbh I personally would be shocked if he signed there. I think we're on the same page there.

It is Drouin's best season, not Galchenyuk's. I started with Drouin and picked his latest season that wasn't this season (because the Canadiens were a dumpster fire this year). Drouin was 21 years old the season before this and that's the age I used moving forward with all other players.

It may be a bit skewed but here's my point - they are both young, promising players. The statistical peak for an NHL player is age 28/29. They are 23 and 24. They were the #2 and #3 leading scorers on their team last year. They are already good, young players with plenty of time left to grow and develop.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I don’t understand this whol belief that the blues are declining. We missed the playoffs by a single game, all whilst dealing with injuries to critical players including a top 6 winger for the whole season. If we hadn’t traded stastny we would have made the playoffs I have zero doubt in this. What makes a difference is that we sold stastny in order to get some value before his contract expired. Everyone knew that the blues were not going to win a cup with the roster they were stuck with at the end of the year. That’s not being a seller in the traditional sense that’s recognizing an opportunity and taking the best return you can. With a healthy Fabbri not to mention the other significant injuries we sustained in Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson and Edmundson down the stretch the blues wouldn’t have been sellers.
This is all true, but sorry, you're too late.

It's already been decided on HF that Tavares won't sign in St. Louis because he values management's willingness to compete through actions way more than a team's current core or prospects; above all else, Tavares will only sign somewhere with a legit bonafide #1 goalie (he doesn't really care about defense or wingers to play with); and California is better than the midwest in just about every conceivable way (the entire midwest is really just trash flyover states full of people jealous of Californians if you think about it).

Nevermind the fact that Doug Armstrong has shown in the past he is willing to go all in at the deadline if he likes his team's chances, the last two season are all that matter. Nevermind the fact that the organization has really never been stronger after signing a new AHL deal, hiring excellent coaches like Drew Bannister and Mike Van Ryn, and having one of the best prospect pools in our history. Nevermind the fact that the Blues have an excellent young core locked up long term with one of the NHL's top defensive units and wingers like Tarasenko for JT to play with. Tavares would never in a million years consider Saint Louis as a possible destination, the idea itself is laughable.

Reactions: brokeu91

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Here's a team that I think could get into it -- Nashville.

If they dump Bonino's contract, which shouldn't be too hard to do, they can offer Tavares a $9-$10 mill deal.

They were in the Finals a year ago, have Tavares' bud Subban, and would be the odds on favorite for the Cup most likely if they did that.

Nashville also has significant tax advantage over other markets like Toronto. For example $10 mill in Nashville is equal to $11.6 mill in Toronto.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

In a year from now, all the hardships the club dealt with might be water under the bridge. If Fabbri comes back from the knee thing 100% and Hutton is actually this good, and Steen bounces back, they are for sure better than they showed. None of these things is a stretch but at the same time they are not automatic assumptions either. My point was that with number of clubs that will be in on a possible signing its way easier for JT to look past any non playoff team with its question marks and consider only the safer options. The money figures to be similar unless Vegas does something crazy so he can cherry pick the division, the coach, the weather, the potential linemates and the likelyhood of winning for the length of his 7 year deal. He doesn't need to drill down to discover the potential for the Blues to bounce back becuse he will have his hands full with clubs that had a better seaso=n.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
In a year from now, all the hardships the club dealt with might be water under the bridge. If Fabbri comes back from the knee thing 100% and Hutton is actually this good, and Steen bounces back, they are for sure better than they showed. None of these things is a stretch but at the same time they are not automatic assumptions either. My point was that with number of clubs that will be in on a possible signing its way easier for JT to look past any non playoff team with its question marks and consider only the safer options. The money figures to be similar unless Vegas does something crazy so he can cherry pick the division, the coach, the weather, the potential linemates and the likelyhood of winning for the length of his 7 year deal. He doesn't need to drill down to discover the potential for the Blues to bounce back becuse he will have his hands full with clubs that had a better seaso=n.
100% agree. The fact that the Blues haven't been contracted amazes me every day.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Every team has two players that are better than those guys along with a much better team as a whole lol

I think Price is the best goalie so I don't agree. And while there's better defenceman, he's definetly a guy I would like to have as my #1D and teammate.

But it's ok you can mock the Habs all you want, they deserve it for this year.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Because no other teams have star players right ? I wouldn’t even call Weber a star at this point.

He asked why would he want to play in MTL. Not what does MTL have that other don't.

Salary aside, Price and Weber are two guys I would 100% love to have on my team. Homer or not, I think this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad