Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

member 300185

Habs offer 12M/8 years, if he wants more give him more. You're buying an elite 1C in his prime (without losing any assets) so you have to overpay. I'd be willing to go up to the cap limit but i'd hope 12M gets it done.
Habs cant offer 8 years, only 7.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Didn't they just say that the Habs are rebuilding? There's no way they're throwing that money at him when they're rebuilding and no way he'd sign there to go through it, imo.
That is what was said yesterday. Wouldn't even matter if the Habs rebuild or not because Tavares wouldn't sign in montreal

Reactions: NovaLeaf

pucku33

Dec 12, 2013
how many times have you seen a upper echelon player take a 25% salary cut as a home discount?

Teemu Selanne played the 2005-2006 season on a $1m contract. 40 goals - 90 points. I'd say thats MUCH more then a 25% discount...

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Teemu Selanne played the 2005-2006 season on a $1m contract. 40 goals - 90 points. I'd say thats MUCH more then a 25% discount...
Wasn't it 3.75 total and 1 million in base salary for a 35+ contract

Last edited:

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Vegas, but strangely I have the impression that adding a (or two) high priced superstar(s) will be bad for the blue collar/no big star attitude/philosophy of the team.

Wouldn't be much surprised if L-V don't make the playoff next year as the ''we will show them that they made an error not to protect us'' mentality will be gone...

This and the element of surprise given it was a team built from scratch.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There is no need for a rebuild if you get Tavares...

Or if your ownership has directed your GM to rebuild, there's no reason for Montreal to go after Tavares. I think they know already that Tavares likely has no interest in Montreal.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Or if your ownership has directed your GM to rebuild, there's no reason for Montreal to go after Tavares. I think they know already that Tavares likely has no interest in Montreal.

lol do you really think that Molson would say no to getting Tavares?
The same guy who told the media the habs were interested in getting Tavares 1 year ago

Tavares is not the difference between being a bottom feeder and a contender.

Weber (missed most of the season) + Tavares + Price (had a downyear) is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
lol do you really think that Molson would say no to getting Tavares?
The same guy who told the media the habs were interested in getting Tavares 1 year ago

It's more like he probably would say that because he already knows there isn't interest there. Tavares won't go to Montreal. There's not a chance in hell that happens.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Weber (missed most of the season) + Tavares + Price (had a downyear) is.

It's more like Price had one good year. He hasn't consistently been a top goalie and there's no reason to expect he'll be one next year. Not as bad as this year, sure, but nothing close to his Vezina year.

If you're expecting an aging defensman with speed issues to carry your defense (with no one else of note really on it) after a severe leg injury, you might be disappointed.

Tavares makes you a bubble team at best IMO. You guys really need to rebuild regardless of whether you manage to land Tavares or not.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018

They been saying that since there season ended and the owners are backing it, If they sign him, would be major and fix a big need. Now will be answer all the issues no, but other moves have to be made. But from the offensive stand point and building two strong scoring lines. Schenn and Schwartz on one and Tavares and Tarsenko on the other. Finish those lines with whoever from other moves or camp. With him could be what gets to the payoffs (We where close as it is) If he get him and move other pieces of dead weight off, the team will be in good shape for success. Allen maybe a question but that a different topic.

Reactions: BatVader

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's more like he probably would say that because he already knows there isn't interest there. Tavares won't go to Montreal. There's not a chance in hell that happens.

How would he know there is no interest if they haven't talked to Tavares yet?

It's more like Price had one good year. He hasn't consistently been a top goalie and there's no reason to expect he'll be one next year. Not as bad as this year, sure, but nothing close to his Vezina year.

If you're expecting an aging defensman with speed issues to carry your defense (with no one else of note really on it) after a severe leg injury, you might be disappointed.

Tavares makes you a bubble team at best IMO. You guys really need to rebuild regardless of whether you manage to land Tavares or not.

1 good year?
You realize that since 2013-2014, Carey Price is 1st in the league in save% (goalies who played 100+ games).

Weber doesn't have speed issues (its way overblown) and he's still a top defenseman in the league. Petry is coming off a 42 pts season and is a solid 3D. Mete and Juulsen are both great young players with top 4 potential.

The habs were a 100+ pts regular season team in 4 of the past 6 years.
In the 2 seasons they were not, Price was either injured the whole season or had a down year.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If I was to guess I would say he won't play in the Metro Division except for the Islanders, and he won't play for a bottom 10-12 club because if he wanted to be a savior he wouldn't bother moving. One of St Louis, LA, San Jose, Anaheim, Minnesota, Toronto, Vegas, or Boston. The top 3 regular season clubs figure to be right back there next year and all 3 got knocked out based on being beat by better goalies. Chicago figures to be a playoff team again next year but I would be really surprised if they wanted to add another 8 figure long term deal.

So a 50% chance NYI and 50% chance one of these other 8 clubs, although that might drop to 6 clubs as LA needs to resign Doughty to a big deal next year and Anaheim is a low revenue team and would probably have to find a taker for Corey Perry to make the money work. San Jose has money and if they drop Jumbo they have a role and the cap space. Vegas has cap room and a tax advantage but that is a real culture shock from playing on the Island. They should be able to win any bidding war if they really want though. Going "home" to Toronto is as likely to be a negative as a positive and the Leafs won't have the cap room to overpay like Vegas. St Louis has money and cap room but has declined over the last couple of years so he may not see the same automatic rosy future as the playoff clubs. Not sure Boston is even interested but they are a high revenue team built to win now, they could definitely fit an upgrade on Heinen and Krejci, and they have cap room.

My guess is NYI or SJ but he could be all about the money, or all about moms home cooking, or he wants a real hockey market but not a crazy one so maybe its Minnesota.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How would he know there is no interest if they haven't talked to Tavares yet?

Pretty easily unless you believe that players signed with new teams the moment free agency opens up before even talking to them. There are ways to convey to a player's agent their interest without breaking their tampering rules and vice-versa.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Pretty easily unless you believe that players signed with new teams the moment free agency opens up before even talking to them. There are ways to convey to a player's agent their interest without breaking their tampering rules and vice-versa.

Teams are allowed to talk with players 1 week before July 1st. Thats how they are able to sign contracts the moment free agency opens up.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Teams are allowed to talk with players 1 week before July 1st. Thats how they are able to sign contracts the moment free agency opens up.

That wasn't always the case and they still signed moments after free agency day opened up. Don't pretend like the interview period wasn't just them letting happen what was already happening.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think if he leaves its to go to a legit contender.

Nash Wpg maybe Tampa on a huge discount. I don't think its about who pays him the most.. Its about Winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad