Where does MacKinnon rank among centers?

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Barkov doesn't have to speed to pull that off.
Are we watching the same clip? There was no super sonic speed involved in that goal.
Big = slow meme needs to go, Barkov is a fine skater.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Are we watching the same clip? There was no super sonic speed involved in that goal.
Big = slow meme needs to go, Barkov is a fine skater.
Never said he's a bad skater. He's definitely not a bad skater but MacKinnon is an elite skater. Funny you say that too, the main reason MacKinnon started breaking out this season is mainly because he figured out you don't have to go Mach speed everytime you get the puck, he's changing up his speed and it's given him way more room on the ice.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Never said he's a bad skater. He's definitely not a bad skater but MacKinnon is an elite skater.
Okay. Just seems weird to see someone announce Barkov will NEVER score a goal like that in your clip, when in fact he has scored much prettier goals in much higher speeds already.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Shooting at 14.6%

Career shooting percentage is 8.6%

Probably due for a bit of a regression, but he's still absolutely an elite center.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Shooting at 14.6%

Career shooting percentage is 8.6%

Probably due for a bit of a regression, but he's still absolutely an elite center.

14.6% isn’t that high. 8.6% is pretty low for an elite center. In the past he’d just kinda shoot from anywhere. He’d enter the zone, curl, fire from the top of the circle. This season, he’s attacking the defender. Either the puck gets knocked away, or he ends up with a shot from 5-10ft away.

He’s got more confidence now, which I guess isn’t surprising considering the results of last season.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Crosby
McDavid
Matthews
Stamkos
Schiefele
Tavares
Kopitar
Seguin
Barkov
Malkin
Eichel
Backstrom
Toews
Johansen
Bergeron

That's 15.

Than you have guys like
Zetterberg
Thornton
Giroux
Couture
Koivu
Couturier
Kuznetsov
Draisaitl

I'm not saying the first 15 are all definitely way ahead of McKinnon - but at the end of last year a strong case could be made that they were. And i left out a lot of other centers with a hot start this year.

Sorry but he's nowhere near top 10C currently. Top 15 is pushing it.

I'm actually pretty high on McKinnon overall and I think he can become a top 5 c in the league, but he simply hasn't yet. He seems to be off to a great start this year, which is fantastic, but i want to see more than a 23 game sample size before I rank him ahead of many of these other guys.

You left out Kyle Turris (+7) He is that guy in Nashville averaging a point a game for the team leading the Western Conference. Of course Filip Forsberg (+7) is also averaging a point a game for Nashville. You do have Johansen (+5) on your list, which is good, he is the Predators #2 Center with 31 pts in 29 games.

MacKinnon has 38 pts in 32 games, but is a -2 on the season. That is hard to believe.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You left out Kyle Turris (+7) He is that guy in Nashville averaging a point a game for the team leading the Western Conference. Of course Filip Forsberg (+7) is also averaging a point a game for Nashville. You do have Johansen (+5) on your list, which is good, he is the Predators #2 Center with 31 pts in 29 games.

MacKinnon has 38 pts in 32 games, but is a -2 on the season. That is hard to believe.

If he’s making a list of guys that are potentially better than MacKinnon, I don’t think you’ll get many arguing in favor of Turris.

And is it really? The Avs are a minus 6 goal differential. The preds are a plus 23. Comparing plus minus of players between the two teams is pointless.

Reactions: cgf and MacBradley

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Johansen has 20 points in 29 games. Not sure where you are getting your stats from. Turris has been great in Nashville. He's not better than MacKinnon. Don't care how many plus/minus stats you want to rattle off. He's probably better than Duchene though, I'll give you that!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's not just the points or the highlight reel goals, it's just how plain dominant he is on the ice.

Yeah, he's effectively scored a highlight reel goal in 4/5 of his last games played.

Not to mention the number of posts, highway robberies, and blatantly missed penalties on him that stopped sure goals in the last week.

He could easily have scored 4 against the Panthers on Thursday and 3 against the Lightning last night.

Kid is the real deal and I'm not sure there's a better player in the NHL right now.

Reactions: MacBradley

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't get it, what is that Barkov highlight reel suppose to prove? that he is faster than MacKinnon and a better puck handler? because that video sure did not prove that at all. MacKinnon can simply take off from his own zone, skate by the entire team with the puck and score. Barkov can't do that. Barkov is more of a tight corners, grind out or have to be set up while skating without the puck, and someone needs to get the puck to him. There is a night and day difference between the 2 players.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

Why even put the players plus/minus in brackets? I thought everyone knew at this point that it's a pointless stat? Might as well put the players favourite colours in brackets next to their names. That would have just as much impact as their plus minus.

Filip Forsberg, averaging a point a game (navy blue). Kyle Turris, also averaging a point a game since being traded to Nashville (hunter green). Ryan Johansen, has 31 points in 29 games, which is incorrect and could've easily been double checked with a Google search (oxblood red).

Reactions: cgf and Kschey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad