Where does MacKinnon rank among centers?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Currently, who would I choose over Mackinnon to be my team's star center?
McDavid
Matthews
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Tavares
Seguin
Scheifele
Barkov
Eichel

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
What amazes me is that MacKinnon is a little more than one year older than Eichel.

Sept 1st 1995
Oct 28 1996

They’re two drafts apart, so MacKinnon seems much older, but in terms of actual age they’re very close.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Top 15-20 and moving up fast. I'd like to see a guy with two or three years like his recent play before I put him in the Top 10.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
damn why did i think he was like 25 already? kids only 22 lol... must be those damn commercials with crosby throwing me off.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
What amazes me is that MacKinnon is a little more than one year older than Eichel.

Sept 1st 1995
Oct 28 1996

They’re two drafts apart, so MacKinnon seems much older, but in terms of actual age they’re very close.
Damn didn't realize that

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
MacKinnon looks like he should be way better than his stats suggest. Maybe he just needs the right linemate.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Sept 1st 1995
Oct 28 1996

From his own draft, MacKinnon is 11 months younger than Jones, Monahan and Wennberg.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
damn why did i think he was like 25 already? kids only 22 lol... must be those damn commercials with crosby throwing me off.
He went from looking like an 18 year old to looking like a 25 year old in a very short period of time. It threw me off too.

Reactions: 204hockey

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Tied with McDavid for the most points in November with 20. Mackinnon did it in 12 games while McDavid did it in 16. Will likely be the 1st star of the month in November unless Andersen gets it since he's been stellar between the pipes.

Reactions: cgf and Avs71

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
As stated, he was just extremely young for his draft, and coming in immediately like he did, making him feel like a guy entering his prime. In reality he still has a couple seasons to go. Right now it is honestly too hard to rate him, because of the team the past couple years combined with his unreal month he just had. Looking at it as if you want him as your center going forward, he's likely top 7 ish (too lazy to think of other guys, but rough guess)

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
As stated, he was just extremely young for his draft, and coming in immediately like he did, making him feel like a guy entering his prime. In reality he still has a couple seasons to go. Right now it is honestly too hard to rate him, because of the team the past couple years combined with his unreal month he just had. Looking at it as if you want him as your center going forward, he's likely top 7 ish (too lazy to think of other guys, but rough guess)

7 is probably about right, but he could be anywhere from 3-12th, depending on the person making the list. There are some really good young Cs around the league, I'm just happy the Avs have one of them.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Currently, who would I choose over Mackinnon to be my team's star center?
McDavid
Matthews
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Tavares
Seguin
Scheifele
Barkov
Eichel

I'm going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you forgot Kopitar, Backstrom, Getzlaf and Bergeron exist.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Even crazier, 5 of those older rookies (Kerfoot, Compher, Toninato, Mironov, and Lindholm) are on the Avs. There are only 3 guys on the Avs right now (Jost, Girard, Rantanen) who are younger than Mack.

This is really f***ing with my head...and I'm one of the first people to point out that when they broke in MacKinnon n Barkov were two of the youngest players that the NHL's current rules allow.
He's becoming our very own younger version of Tyler Seguin. We will have to wait for the answer until end of the season how good he is among centers. Some top 5-10 players regress and others outside play better particularly so there's not a clear cut top 10 thats every year the same.
P.s. And even I would like my post cause it's so damn good

MacK n Mikko really do seem to be making great strides towards blossoming into our version of Benn n Seguin...only with the primary goalscoring & playmaking responsibilities reversed. And Mikko isn't even playing particularly well as the dreaded sophomore slump seems to have hit him this year.
Nowhere close to top 10, not top 15 either. Takes more than a 15 game hot streak to crack a list of consistent elite performers. If MacK keeps up a similar pace all season and into the next then sure, throw him in the top 10 mix. But 20 games don't mean ****. Unless y'all also think Stamkos is the best C and Schenn is top 5 or Kessel and Voracek are better than Kane.

If MacK keeps up a similar pace to his past 15 games for a full season or more we'd have to start talking about whether McDavid was still the clearcut best player in the league. Nate's been at a 145 point pace over the past 13 games for christ sake. If he did that he'd have become a better player than anyone ever even hyped to be...and I myself called him an "even more dynamic pre-knee-injury Roenick in the making" during his rookie year.
Highly debatable. Barkov is by far the better alround player.

Barkov does have a decisive advantage in his play against the puck. But MacKinnon's defensive progress doesn't get enough attention. He's one of the team's top PKers for a reason and has improved by a ludicrous degree from the rookie MacKinnon that so many people seem to think of when they think about Mack. If he can figure out how to win a damn faceoff again with these new rules, the avs could live with him not making any further progress from where he's at now defensively.
Maybe you should continue not following the avs

Liking this post felt dirty.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattcookefan

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Wait until he has a good season before proclaiming him top-anything. Scheifele had to be top-10 in scoring for like a season and a half before these boards started acknowledging him. I don't think 20-something games is enough to convince people MacKinnon has arrived, especially since he's always been a player whose production didn't live up to his skill - we all know he's capable of a hot streak.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Wait until he has a good season before proclaiming him top-anything. Scheifele had to be top-10 in scoring for like a season and a half before these boards started acknowledging him. I don't think 20-something games is enough to convince people MacKinnon has arrived, especially since he's always been a player whose production didn't live up to his skill - we all know he's capable of a hot streak.

Scheifele was older than MacKinnon is now at the start of 2015-16, Scheifele's first 50+ point season. Mack has 3 50+ point seasons, and likely would have had gotten 50+ every year if he hadn't hurt his wrist his sophomore year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Considering age, contracts, and performance this season and not all past performance and reputation:

McDavid, Crosby, Matthews, Stamkos, Tavares, Malkin, Barkov, Backstrom and Seguin are the only 100% better I would take over MacKinnon. You could argue and maybe talk me into Schiefele, Eichel, Giroux, Kuznetsov, and Bergeron.

Everyone else, I would take MacKinnon without hesitating.

And I know what McDavid brings, but if you are considering contracts, many centers are more "valuable".

It's crazy that Kopitar STILL goes unnoticed despite his start to the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: