Where does Jack Eichel go in a 2015 redraft now?

Where does Jack Eichel go in a 2015 redraft now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Of the 20 non-2015 drafts between 2000 and 2020, which 11 would Marner be a 1st overall pick in?
2017 rather easily, 18 and 19 as well.

2010, 2011, 2012.

Comparing early 2000s would be nonsense, a lot of those guys are retired and have accomplished a lot in 15-20ish years. You have guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Kane, Tavares, Doughty, Hedman, all who have had a decade + to accomplish what they have. I'm talking about Marner's skillset and production, he is the kind of player you expect to get at the 1st overall position. He's made a legitimate argument for being the 2nd best player of his class, behind only McDavid. Still early in his career but he's been very impressive so far.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

2010, 2011, 2012.

Comparing early 2000s would be nonsense, a lot of those guys are retired and have accomplished a lot in 15-20ish years. You have guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Kane, Tavares, Doughty, Hedman, all who have had a decade + to accomplish what they have. I'm talking about Marner's skillset and production, he is the kind of player you expect to get at the 1st overall position. He's made a legitimate argument for being the 2nd best player of his class, behind only McDavid. Still early in his career but he's been very impressive so far.

Are you specifically talking about Marner going ahead of whoever went 1st overall in a given year? Or Marner going 1st overall in a draft year ahead of anyone drafted that year?

For example, if it's the former I'd definitely pick Marner 1st overall ahead of RNH in 2011. But I don't think I would pick Marner 1st overall ahead of the player who turned out to be the best player of that draft in Kucherov.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Playing on poorly constructed/coached teams, and playing injured doesn't change the fact that Eichel is still the second best player from the 2015 draft

Reactions: OKR

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Probably borderline top 10, since I'm willing to sink all my stock into the front end of a pandemic season.

Am I doing it right?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Are you specifically talking about Marner going ahead of whoever went 1st overall in a given year? Or Marner going 1st overall in a draft year ahead of anyone drafted that year?

For example, if it's the former I'd definitely pick Marner 1st overall ahead of RNH in 2011. But I don't think I would pick Marner 1st overall ahead of the player who turned out to be the best player of that draft in Kucherov.

I think the poster just means he's the quality that someone would be happy with as a 1st overall in most drafts that don't have the hype of a McDavid-type player. A franchise-type talent. He obviously hasn't accomplished what guys like Tavares/Stamkos/Kane have, but seems like he's on his way to being somewhere in that mix.

Reactions: hockeynorth

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

2010, 2011, 2012.

Why is it nonsense to compare players from the 2000s to Marner because they've had more time to establish themselves, but perfectly okay to compare Marner to players from 2017, 2018, and 2019 who haven't had as much time to prove themselves? Pettersson and Svechnikov have both accomplished more by their respective draft years than Marner has and there is a case to be made that they are better players right now. Dahlin hasn't done so, and he doesn't really have that case, but he could still be a gem.

Given how you've already backtracked, though, I would suggest you make considerable amendments your original statement; it doesn't seem like something you're really prepared to defend.

I think the poster just means he's the quality that someone would be happy with as a 1st overall in most drafts that don't have the hype of a McDavid-type player. A franchise-type talent. He obviously hasn't accomplished what guys like Tavares/Stamkos/Kane have, but seems like he's on his way to being somewhere in that mix.

He said he would be a 1st overall pick in most years. By definition that makes him an above average 1st overall pick.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No. 2 and somewhat clearly still. If he was on just about any other team he would be viewed much higher than he is, but the Sabres are just a team that has so much wrong with them it made ROR look like an average player.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Its still 2nd, but its not nearly as clear cut as it was on draft day.

Id argue Eichel was closer to McDavid on draft day than he was to Strome.

Now Marner, Aho, Barzal, Rantanen have all closed the gap to the point where if one of them went 2nd, it wouldnt be outrageous

Reactions: leafsfan5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

His wording seemed to imply that he'd be the 1st overall pick in a lot of seasons over the player who did go 1st overall that year, not as a general statement on Marner's talent level. Hence why he referenced 2015 being such a year where Marner wouldn't go first overall due to who went 1st overall that year.

If he was saying what you're suggesting he meant, he wouldn't have bothered with that statement since it would be just talking about skillset in general and not comparing Marner to specific players who went 1st over the years.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He said he would be a 1st overall pick in most years. By definition that makes him an above average 1st overall pick.

His wording seemed to imply that he'd be the 1st overall pick in a lot of seasons over the player who did go 1st overall that year, not as a general statement on Marner's talent level. Hence why he referenced 2015 being such a year where Marner wouldn't go first overall due to who went 1st overall that year.

If he was saying what you're suggesting he meant, he wouldn't have bothered with that statement since it would be just talking about skillset in general and not comparing Marner to specific players who went 1st over the years.

I got the sense that it was more of an off-the -cuff initial comment on talent level rather than specific comparisons that was just worded poorly, and then when pressed for specific drafts, named some, but that wasn't the initial intention. I could be wrong though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think people are still being deferential to the draft day pedigree, but it's kind of surprising how Marner has almost caught up to Eichel in career points despite starting a year later.

In terms of forward depth from that draft, how incredible is it that McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Rantanen, Barzal, Aho, Connor, Kaprizov all went in the same draft and Matthews missed it by 2 days. And we haven't even talked about the second tier Boeser, Cirelli, Konecny, Beauvillier, Meier, DeBrusk, Greenway, Eriksson Ek, Strome, Garland, Hintz. Or defensemen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He'd still go 2nd overall. I just wouldn't put a C on him ever again.

You can’t use Buffalo being a disaster against him.

What has McDavid won? And McDavid is a better player with Draisaitl as a #2. He has a better supporting cast. It’s still not enough to win. You can’t blame the captain just because the team sucks.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Of the 20 non-2015 drafts between 2000 and 2020, which 11 would Marner be a 1st overall pick in?
Going back before 2010 is tough as it calls for quite a bit of memory around old player hypes but giving it a shot

2000 (Dipetro went 1st), 2003(MAF went 1st was very open ended, 2006 (EJ 1st), 2010, 2011 (easily), 2012 (easily) 2014, 2017 (easily) , 2019 (easily), 2020 (easily)

So that's 10 I'd be comfortable with MM going 1st

2018 hes pretty easily the best player in the draft but the Dahlin hype was insane so wont put him there

2008 and 2009 same reason. Marner will end up a better player all tine than Stamkos and JT but they had pretty insane hype as Centers from the O

2007 Patty Kane put 152 yet I remember people saying Turris might have went 1st. Weird but Kane has had a legendary career dont know if marner passes him so didnt place 1st

2005 and 2004 no chance to go 1st ( 2004 no chance at 2nd)

2001 and 2002 are the left overs. Not sure how hyped Nash and Kovy were. I know Spezza was incredibly hyped as a 16 year old and think the hype was quite high in his 18 year old draft year so for Kovy to go over him the hype must be crazy. Marner will end up a greater player though all time than Kovy

Nash another name not sure on. He had underwhelming overall career as a 1st overall pick but I think I read he was pretty heavily hyped so maybe he goes ahead of Marner. Im expecting when we look post career marner will smoke nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad