Where does Ichiro rank among all time MLB players?

jason1919spezza

Mar 14, 2009
Ottawa, ONT, Canada
I'm not sure when, but either next season or the one after is going to be Ichiro's last season (unless he continues playing in Japan). He's very close to reaching the 3000 MLB hits, 500 stolen bases, and the world record for most professional career hits (NPB and MLB combined).

ESPN does the "hall of 100" ranking but Ichiro is apparently not even included in the ballot.

If he was eligible for the ballot, where does he rank among all time MLB players?

1: Only considering his MLB career
2: If he had played in MLB from the beginning (he has dominated NPB quite early in his career btw)

This is just for fun but who do you think is the NHL version of Ichiro (I've seen threads that compare Jeter=Yzerman/Sakic/Toews, Rose=Francis/Gartner, ...etc.)?

His resume is...

Awards
X1 MVP (2001)
X1 MVP votes by the players (2004)
X1 All Star MVP (2007)
X1 Rookie of the year
X10 Gold Gloves
X3 Silver Slugger
X3 Fielding Bible

Titles
X1 Stolen Bases leader
X2 Batting Average leader
(X7 Hits leader)

Others
262 hits (most in single season)
Number 1 in WAR (2004)
10 straight 200 hits
10 straight .300 average
4000 professional career hits (MLB+NPB)
Longevity

Ratings from Clubs
X3 Best hitter
X6 Best bunter
X3 fastest runner
X8 best base runner
X9 best outfield arm
X7 best defensive outfielder
X5 most exciting player

Coming soon

3000 MLB hits
500 MLB stolen bases
World record for most professional career hits

Discuss!

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I rate him 2nd, behind Pujols, as the best current player (career wise). My favorite player to watch since 2000. Not to mention that he's probably the smartest guy in the league, including managers.

Not to mention his versatility...
100415_mia_ichiro_strike2_med_poelcx2q.gif

Bonus Link (my favorite Ichiro article)- Ichiro is an honorary latino

Some years later, at the 2004 All-Star game in Houston, the seven participating Venezuelan players lined up for a commemorative photo. But eight players appeared in the shot when Ichiro was summoned over and asked to stand right in the middle. That was when Miguel Cabrera, then with the Marlins, first met Ichiro.

Years later, when his Tigers played Ichiro's Yankees, Cabrera shouted out "Feo!" as Ichiro approached on the base paths. Understanding that he had just been called "ugly," an amused Ichiro smiled and responded in Spanish. What he said was inappropriate for print even in an English publication.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I rank him as the greatest contact hitter of the 21st century and one of the greatest of all time. He will pass Pete Rose in professional hits this season, and I fully acknowledge that accomplishment, given what he could have done had he played in the MLB in his early and mid 20's.

As far as his overall ranking in history, he's lower down the list because he had no power. But he's a first ballot hall of famer, and will go down as one of the faces of his generation and one of the most respected players in the game.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
easily one of the best pure, contact hitters in MLB history

i'd put him as the 3rd best player of the 2000s behind bonds and pujols. really hope he can get to 3000 MLB hits

jason1919spezza

Mar 14, 2009
Ottawa, ONT, Canada
Bonds, Pujols, Rodriguez are all better than Ichiro.

Cabrera? Not too sure about that.

Ichiro seems to get the recognition for one of the best contact hitters, but he's also top tier defensive outfielder as well. Certainly not the fastest player, but definitely one of the fastest base runner of the 2000s.

He's Fedorov that played his heart out IMO.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Top 10 of his "era" but overall its tough. He could make the hall of fame. Although I'm not sure if his playing in Japan for a decent time will effect that. He'd be a no brained if he played his whole career here.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Top 10 of his "era" but overall its tough. He could make the hall of fame. Although I'm not sure if his playing in Japan for a decent time will effect that. He'd be a no brained if he played his whole career here.

Without a shadow of doubt he's a HOFer.

jason1919spezza

Mar 14, 2009
Ottawa, ONT, Canada
I don't know about far superior but he's had more peak and career value and he's not really slowing down much.

Let's be fair about the "slowing down" thing.

Ichiro came into the league at the age of 27, and was born in 1973 (42 now).

Cabrera was born in 1983, which is 10 years younger and is currently 32.

Ichiro finally showed signs of slowing down when he was 37, which is a damn good longevity. He was still an ok~good baseball player for a couple years after that.

In terms of Peak value, Cabrera is more impressive with his triple crown (although Ichiro's 2001 season and 2004 season are impressive as well), but we don't know about the prime yet. That is going to effect his so-called "career value" as well.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i understand putting a-rod in front of ichiro in regards to best players of the 2000s

but definitely not cabrera

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Without a shadow of doubt he's a HOFer.

We'll see. The system drinks and there's guys who should be but won't be. Take a guy like Edmonds. Next to Griffey might be the second best center fielder of our generation. Lasted on the ballot one year. Kind of appauling. The guy was a highlight reel.

jason1919spezza

Mar 14, 2009
Ottawa, ONT, Canada
We'll see. The system drinks and there's guys who should be but won't be. Take a guy like Edmonds. Next to Griffey might be the second best center fielder of our generation. Lasted on the ballot one year. Kind of appauling. The guy was a highlight reel.

Ichiro is a first-ballot lock. And that was like years ago.

It's not only about pure stats and baseball resume. He has this "pioneer" status along with him. Call that BS, but being one of the first Japanese/Asian baseball player and having a career like his is definitely going to be first ballot.

I think the question is more like if he is going to get 90+% vote or not.

Sep 19, 2008
Future HoFer

Still remember seeing him during BP at Nats Park and was just chilling and then he comes to the side of the dugout to sign autographs and man I've never been so smashed in my life

The crowds just trying to get his autograph

He is a legend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad