Where does Crosby rank all time when he retires?

Where does Crosby rank all time when he retires?

• Top 5 all time

Votes: 110 44.4%
  • Top 10 all time

Votes: 113 45.6%
  • Top 15 all time

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Top 20 all time

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Top 25 all time

• Top 30 all time

• Top 40 all time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top 50 all time

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
My top 5
From a pure skiller and clutch standpoint.
1a/1b) Gretzky and Lemieux
2) Crosby
3a/3b) Orr and Lidstrom - Best two defenseman to ever play
4) Jagr- best skilled winger to ever play
5) Howe - best power forward to ever play

Goalies
1)Hasek and Roy are tied.

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Top five or very close to it. I don't see any active player challenging him except McDavid. It doesn't appear that Bedard will, but we'll see.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
You can nitpick whether Crosby is 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. But anyone listing Crosby outside of Top 10 is either an irrational hater or someone who doesn't know a thing about the game.
So, if someone believes that slots 5-10 are filled by six of Bobby Hull, Rocket, Beliveau, Harvey, Roy, Morenz, Bourque, Shore, and Hasek, that person “doesn’t know a thing about the game”? Or do you think people can have healthy disagreements?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So, if someone believes that slots 5-10 are filled by six of Bobby Hull, Rocket, Beliveau, Harvey, Roy, Morenz, Bourque, Shore, and Hasek, that person “doesn’t know a thing about the game”? Or do you think people can have healthy disagreements?
I think the argument for any forward ahead of crosby except for the Big 3 just isn't all that strong if we break it down and it's hard to compare 2 goalies to a position player but both Roy and Hasek have their own reasons as why they probably aren't 5th.

As for the Dmen sure a case can be made for Bourque, revolving mostly around all star selections, I guess but Harvey and Shore much less so.

I know that you are a student of the game but is there really much doubt that Crosby isn't a top 10 player of all time right now?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Make a strong argument for all of those guys you listed as being better than Crosby. The goalies are a tough position to rank all-time because it's such a vastly different impact, but Crosby's trophy case/trophy finishes/overall consistent production for nearly 2 decades is superior to those position players.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Meh. Maybe 10 years ago. Crosby has played 19 years. Is top 10 all time in playoff n reg scoring. Has a fully trophy case. Incredible longevity and done it in a much deeper era than those guys. Your not gonna sell those tickets to most.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Crosby and Lidstrom played at the same time. No one ever considered Lidstrom to be the better player.
not that I disagree with the overall point, but that is a weird argument. Lidstrom was about as old as Crosby is right now when Crosby started then.... and Lidstrom was arguably better than him for many of those crossover years. Won 4 Norrises and finished higher in Hart voting, as an old defenseman most of those years..... k, wait, you talked me into it - Lidstrom was better.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
not that I disagree with the overall point, but that is a weird argument. Lidstrom was about as old as Crosby is right now when Crosby started then.... and Lidstrom was arguably better than him for many of those crossover years. Won 4 Norrises and finished higher in Hart voting, as an old defenseman most of those years..... k, wait, you talked me into it - Lidstrom was better.
When was lidstrom finishing above crosby in hart voting?

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Make a strong argument for all of those guys you listed as being better than Crosby. The goalies are a tough position to rank all-time because it's such a vastly different impact, but Crosby's trophy case/trophy finishes/overall consistent production for nearly 2 decades is superior to those position players.
I did not make arguments for any of them.

To clarify my opinion: leaving Crosby outside of one’s Top 10 Greatest Players of All-time does not mean an individual “knows nothing about hockey.” That’s ALL I am saying. Period.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Crosby has 3 Stanley Cup rings and won two Conn Smythe trophies while doing so. Not to mention he scored the OT goal that won Canada the 2010 Olympics. McDavid is nowhere near close to passing him.

Man, that OT winner has to be the most overrated goal ever. It's one goal as important as it was and it was a soft goal to boot. Basically it was Kane's OT winner in a less important tournament where his team was born on third base. He has enough accolades without bringing up it up.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
When was lidstrom finishing above crosby in hart voting?
2005 - 7th to 24th
2006 - 6th to 1st
2007 - 4th to 17th
2008 -17th to 6th
2009 - 17th to 3rd
2010 - 19th to 20th
2011 - neither has votes

3 each, one tied

Again, Lidstrom being a defenceman, Crosby being the media darling, and Lidstrom starting this as a 35 year old.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Man, that OT winner has to be the most overrated goal ever. It's one goal as important as it was and it was a soft goal to boot. Basically it was Kane's OT winner in a less important tournament where his team was born on third base. He has enough accolades without bringing up it up.
Yeah, Crosby also only has 4 goals in 25 SC final games. Does that mean he can't score in big moments?

It's a nice goal in a very big moment, but it's just noise. Crosby has only scored one playoff OT goal in his entire playoff career. It's random.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ovechkin with 900 goals is at best 8th at worst 11th

Way too many bad years after 2010 (2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017), to be 5th he should have been top 5 player those years if he wanted to ahead of Crosby who himself is 6th to 8th at best

There is only 1 guy ever since 2006 who is at the level of the big 4

It isnt a capital or a penguin.

Only Mcdavid is on that level

He lead the league in goals and was a 2nd AST selection in 2014 + 2017. Not sure I'd call those bad years.

Iginla never gets enough credit on it either.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
2005 - 7th to 24th
2006 - 6th to 1st
2007 - 4th to 17th
2008 -17th to 6th
2009 - 17th to 3rd
2010 - 19th to 20th
2011 - neither has votes

3 each, one tied

Again, Lidstrom being a defenceman, Crosby being the media darling, and Lidstrom starting this as a 35 year old.
Lol so the only time he finished ahead crosby missed significant time. Lol nothing further to discuss

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
So many people discounting players they never watched, Orr and Mario careers were cut short because of injuries/cancer, watch some clips/interviews of their peers, no way Crosby (or McDavid at this time) are above them, Howe earned the nickname "Mr. Hockey" for a reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad