Where does Crosby rank all time when he retires?

Where does Crosby rank all time when he retires?

• Top 5 all time

Votes: 110 44.4%
  • Top 10 all time

Votes: 113 45.6%
  • Top 15 all time

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Top 20 all time

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Top 25 all time

• Top 30 all time

• Top 40 all time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top 50 all time

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What difference does it make?

How many guys posting never saw Orr or Howe play? Can you have an opinion on whether Crosby was better or worse than either without having seen the other two play often? We're talking comparing him to guys that played 45 years ago. And if you can say ya I saw those other guys play a lot, well, I'm late 50s and I'll call a bit of bs that you remember hockey all that well from the 70s.

Crosby is a great player. 1st ballot unanimous hall of famer.

What more needs to be said?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Right around #5, maybe a little back. But definitely head of McDavid.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Poll a bit flawed no? You can think he's top 5 and vote top 50 and still be voting what you think is accurate. Now, for the person that voted top 50, if that means you think there are 49 players that rank higher, well....can't be more of a hater than that.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He's definitely ahead of McDavid right now.

I think people take longevity for granted a bit too much. Anything can happen. Crosby has aged quite well. There is no guarantee that McDavid will.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
He's definitely ahead of McDavid right now.

I think people take longevity for granted a bit too much. Anything can happen. Crosby has aged quite well. There is no guarantee that McDavid will.
I tend to agree....but it is getting close. McDavid has racked up a lot of major hardware, which is hard to ignore. At the same time, it's hard to launch a forward to top 5 all-time when he hasn't even scored 1,000pts yet. This is why I always suggest I'm pretty sure he'll be ahead of Crosby by the end of his career, but not crazy to suggest he's not there yet.

You can look at Lemieux as a guy that didn't play nearly as long as many of the all-time greats, but he played enough and put up enough points and awards where there is no question on his placing. For McDavid, he's not there yet, if his career is cut-short, he becomes a great "what if". Still very high on a list, but not near the top.

Orr is the interesting one, he and McDavid have basically played the same number of games, but Orr won the Norris every year he played other than his rookie season (I'm not counting his last 3 years because he didn't really play ~30 games over 3 seasons isn't playing). As a Dman, sprinkle in 2 Art Ross trophies, 3 Hart trophies, 2 Conn Smythes and 2 Cups.....he's just in a different spot....he accomplished enough during that short time to be ranked where most rank him. McDavid isn't at that level where the lack of career length can vault him that high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad