Where does Aguero rank in all-time PL striker rankings?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean, this kind of thing is normal when you play well beyond your prime, and not on a stacked super offensive team. Shearer had 112 goals in 138 games with Blackburn...nobody else there comes close to that pace, and it's not like 138 games is a small sample size either.

Though I think the PL is better now by a decent margin.
And then he still scored 148 in 303 for Newcastle. Which is basically a goal every other game including the tail end of his career and when injuries started affecting him.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The PL was weaker at Shearers time. There is a reason he never played for a big too. To rank him above Bergkamp is ridiculous in my opinion.
Bergkamp wasn't even a striker? I don't know what that has to do with Shearer and his ranking here. And even if you do want to compare them there goal scoring records are in two completely different stratospheres.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I mean, this kind of thing is normal when you play well beyond your prime, and not on a stacked super offensive team. Shearer had 112 goals in 138 games with Blackburn...nobody else there comes close to that pace, and it's not like 138 games is a small sample size either.

Though I think the PL is better now by a decent margin.

Age 23-Shearer 31 Kane 25
Age 24-Shearer 32 Kane 29
Age 25-Shearer 31 Kane 30
Age 26-Shearer 25 Kane 17
Age 27-Shearer 2 Kane 18
Age 28-Shearer 14 Kane 19 (so far)

In their prime...Kane has more goals. (and Kane scoring 105 in 139 isn't far off Shearer's best)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The PL was weaker at Shearers time. There is a reason he never played for a big too. To rank him above Bergkamp is ridiculous in my opinion.
Yes, the reason is that he CHOSE to move to his boyhood team instead of signing for a top club.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Age 23-Shearer 31 Kane 25
Age 24-Shearer 32 Kane 29
Age 25-Shearer 31 Kane 30
Age 26-Shearer 25 Kane 17
Age 27-Shearer 2 Kane 18
Age 28-Shearer 14 Kane 19 (so far)

In their prime...Kane has more goals. (and Kane scoring 105 in 139 isn't far off Shearer's best)
So you're saying Shearer outscored Kane every year until he got injured. And then somehow you say Kane scored more goals...
And even then, those aren't the good numbers :
Alan Shearer — Wikipédia

Reactions: Pouchkine

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
So you're saying Shearer outscored Kane every year until he got injured. And then somehow you say Kane scored more goals...
And even then, those aren't the good numbers :
Alan Shearer — Wikipédia

Really? The good numbers aren't his three best years? What years did he score more than at age 23-25?

Kane has scored more in his prime. 3 years isn't 'prime', those are 'peak'. Prime is the time from 23-30.

Who cares WHY his numbers dropped, they did. Go ahead and say "If Shearer stayed healthy......." ok....I'll agree. He didn't. So it's moot

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Bergkamp wasn't even a striker? I don't know what that has to do with Shearer and his ranking here. And even if you do want to compare them there goal scoring records are in two completely different stratospheres.

Did you watch soccer back in the time? Most teams played with 2 strikers. A real Nr. 9 and a second striker who played a bit withdrawn.
Dennis Bergkamp - Wikipedia

If i could choose two strikers, my choice would be.

-----------------van Nistelrooy
-------------------------------Bergkamp

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Really? The good numbers aren't his three best years? What years did he score more than at age 23-25?

Kane has scored more in his prime. 3 years isn't 'prime', those are 'peak'. Prime is the time from 23-30.

Who cares WHY his numbers dropped, they did. Go ahead and say "If Shearer stayed healthy......." ok....I'll agree. He didn't. So it's moot
Man that's really awful. :facepalm:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No obviously I'm an idiot and I don't know.
What I do know is that you don't have the right numbers and that you used Shearer's injured year as somehow a proof that Kane scored more.
Not much to discuss here if you can't realize how awful that is.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
How many trophies for Kane? At least Shearer has won something for an underdog as well, scored more and was more fun to watch.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
The modern era Careca
No?
Just me?

tenor.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Did you watch soccer back in the time? Most teams played with 2 strikers. A real Nr. 9 and a second striker who played a bit withdrawn.
Dennis Bergkamp - Wikipedia

If i could choose two strikers, my choice would be.

-----------------van Nistelrooy
-------------------------------Bergkamp
Correct. And Bergkamp was always in the SS or AM type role. So when talking about the best ever PL srikers it's Shearer without a shadow of a doubt. Bergkamp may have been the better player/talent but in no way was he the better striker.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Because of the goals of Shearer.

Teams coming up from the 2nd division even if they spend big don't usually have results like that this fast.

Tottenham spent a lot and won nothing. Not even close.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Vardy ahead of Bergkamp?
Debatable whether he was a true striker or not, but anyways yes. Vardy has scored 48 more league goals in 16 fewer league games, and in my opinion scoring is not even his best ability. He's one of the best, if not the best, pressing forward in the world.

Guy gets no respect for how great he has been.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
No obviously I'm an idiot and I don't know.
What I do know is that you don't have the right numbers and that you used Shearer's injured year as somehow a proof that Kane scored more.
Not much to discuss here if you can't realize how awful that is.

You're going to make me do this.....

During his 6 year prime, Shearer played in 195 of 236 league games. That's 83%
During his 6 year prime, Kane has played in 190 of 228 league games. Guess what % that is? 83% (if he stays healthy the rest of the year, he will go to 87%)

They each have missed the same % of games to injury.

Your point is moot.

Again.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nope.
Again Shearer outscored Kane every f***ing season until he got injured.

Case closed!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3