Where does Aguero rank in all-time PL striker rankings?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Aguero is the most clutch and utterly ridiculous player I've watched in the EPL in my 10 or so serious years of following it. But after having done homework on the subject of who the best scorer in the EPL ever was and talking to actual Englishmen who are 50 and older, there's no way I can say Shearer isn't #1. The case is gonna be closed on that for some time boys. Not until some other cat comes along and scores 33 times for like Aston Villa or Leeds United and wins the EPL for them. And knowing that you almost can't tell the story of the EPL without Henry, Aguero has to go for #3 for me because he's spent so much time as an embarrasment of riches on an already great team.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, those were exactly the guys I was talking about. Watch how Griezmann played with Atletico when the emphasis was pace and speed. Also what am I supposed to look at with Fati and Puig? They're young kids who have only been with Barca. What are they outperforming? Their U21 careers? What's the point of comparison that's supposed to tell me that the system and style of play is helping their development and performance?
There out performing the supposed stars that become half the player. Pedri is another one. What you're supposed to look at it is how are some players are able to succeed with speed and pace and others falter. It's much deeper than that. Mostly it comes down to the players bought were overrated to begin with and in the case of Greizzy he's not a good fit plus confidence is shot. Has his moments though.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Personally I’ve watched every season of the EPL since it’s inception and this is my own PERSONAL top 20 strikers list.

1. Cantona
2. Shearer
3. Henry
4. Suarez
5. Bergkamp
6. van Nistelrooy
7. Drogba
8. Zola
9. Aguero
10. Rooney
11. Wright
12. van Persie
13. Sheringham
14. Kane
15. Fowler
16. Yorke
17. Owen
18. Cole
19. Berbatov
20. Anelka

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Personally I’ve watched every season of the EPL since it’s inception and this is my own PERSONAL top 20 strikers list.

1. Cantona
2. Shearer
3. Henry
4. Suarez
5. Bergkamp
6. van Nistelrooy
7. Drogba
8. Zola
9. Aguero
10. Rooney
11. Wright
12. van Persie
13. Sheringham
14. Kane
15. Fowler
16. Yorke
17. Owen
18. Cole
19. Berbatov
20. Anelka

Oh boy, a bunch of these names ahead of Kane are absolutely bazonkers.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Here's the top 10 PL strikers in goals/game as of this weekend, for reference:

upload_2021-4-6_18-33-32.png

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Lukaku way lower on that than I would've thought

And worth noting that Suarez would be #4 but he isn't on that list because those are only players with more than 100 goals.

Reactions: Blender

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Oh boy, a bunch of these names ahead of Kane are absolutely bazonkers.

According to you it might be “bazonkers” but to me it’s justified. Harry Kane is a great striker but for me the players I listed above are better. Maybe that will change for me if Kane starts scoring more goals against big clubs or brings home some silverware but until then that’s where I have him.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If Bergkamp and Cantona are considered strikers, they are absolutely top 3, without any doubt. I don't consider them strikers though, so I would say the top 10 can look like this.

1. Thierry Henry
2. Wayne Rooney
3. Alan Shearer
4. Sergio Aguero
5. Harry Kane
6. Ian Wright
7. Ruud Van Nistelrooy
8. Andy Cole
9. Luis Suarez
10. Robin Van Persie / Luiz Suarez / Michael Owen

Based on peak, longevity and accolades.Based on just peak ability and not achievements or longevity, the likes of Suarez and Owen are much higher. Kane is probably top 3.

Last edited:

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
If Bergkamp and Cantona are considered strikers, they are absolutely top 3, without any doubt. I don't consider them strikers though, so I would say the top 10 can look like this.

1. Thierry Henry
2. Wayne Rooney
3. Alan Shearer
4. Sergio Aguero
5. Harry Kane
6. Ian Wright
7. Ruud Van Nistelrooy
8. Andy Cole
9. Luis Suarez
10. Robin Van Persie / Luiz Suarez / Michael Owen

Based on peak, longevity and accolades.Based on just peak ability and not achievements or longevity, the likes of Suarez and Owen are much higher. Kane is probably top 3.

Was Shearer a Real Madrid caliber player at that time. Probably not. Van Nistelrooy was without doubt.
Hard to rank EPL players like NHL players. EPL was a weak league for many years.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Was Shearer a Real Madrid caliber player at that time. Probably not. Van Nistelrooy was without doubt.
Hard to rank EPL players like NHL players. EPL was a weak league for many years.
Shearer was a better overall player than Van Nistelrooy. More all round, could score in a larger variety of ways. Similar peak goalscoring records, but Shearer has much more longevity.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The Shearer disrespect is wild. The man was a goal machine basically his entire career. I understand people ranking Henry ahead of him but I don’t see how he’s ranked ahead personally.

Reactions: Blender and Evilo

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Shearer was a better overall player than Van Nistelrooy. More all round, could score in a larger variety of ways. Similar peak goalscoring records, but Shearer has much more longevity.
Yup. RvN is one of the best poachers of the last few decades, but only was a threat in the box. Where Shearer would score from anywhere.

Reactions: AB13

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Shearer's record with Blackburn is bonkers. His longevity hurts him on that list.

1. Shearer
2. Henry
3. Aguero

For me. I don't get putting Rooney ahead of Aguero personally, and Kane isn't there yet (but definitely can be).

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The Shearer disrespect is wild. The man was a goal machine basically his entire career. I understand people ranking Henry ahead of him but I don’t see how he’s ranked ahead personally.

I started watching the PL in 2002, so....grain of salt.

Kane-176 goals in 291 PL matches
Aguero-181 goals in 272 PL matches
Henry-174 goals in 254 PL matches
Shearer-283 goals in 559 PL matches

All three have much better goals per match numbers than Shearer.

If you say that the PL in 1995-2005 was better than today, then there is an argument.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Rooney fell off a cliff at like 28 due to his lifestyle, but his numbers are still really, really good. 208 PL goals and over 100 assists (I see 103 in one place, 110 in the other). Which reflects the fact that he wasn't a focal point striker for most of his career with United. He played many different roles depending on who else they had.

He played with a second striker for all those United years. SAF loved the 4-4-2 where he partnered with RVN. Then for a couple seasons it was a 4-3-3 with Ronaldo and Tevez. He ended up with double digit goals and assists in 6 different seasons over 10 years with United. Aguero had zero at City.

Rank him where you want to on your personal list, that's fine. I don't think it's crazy to have Aguero over him on your list. But I think there's some recency bias in the evaluation here. Some posters only remember the fat Rooney who looked like he had a beer and a smoke off camera.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011

The PL was weaker at Shearers time. There is a reason he never played for a big too. To rank him above Bergkamp is ridiculous in my opinion.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I started watching the PL in 2002, so....grain of salt.

Kane-176 goals in 291 PL matches
Aguero-181 goals in 272 PL matches
Henry-174 goals in 254 PL matches
Shearer-283 goals in 559 PL matches

All three have much better goals per match numbers than Shearer.

If you say that the PL in 1995-2005 was better than today, then there is an argument.
I mean, this kind of thing is normal when you play well beyond your prime, and not on a stacked super offensive team. Shearer had 112 goals in 138 games with Blackburn...nobody else there comes close to that pace, and it's not like 138 games is a small sample size either.

Though I think the PL is better now by a decent margin.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Rooney fell off a cliff at like 28 due to his lifestyle, but his numbers are still really, really good. 208 PL goals and over 100 assists (I see 103 in one place, 110 in the other). Which reflects the fact that he wasn't a focal point striker for most of his career with United. He played many different roles depending on who else they had.

He played with a second striker for all those United years. SAF loved the 4-4-2 where he partnered with RVN. Then for a couple seasons it was a 4-3-3 with Ronaldo and Tevez. He ended up with double digit goals and assists in 6 different seasons over 10 years with United. Aguero had zero at City.

Rank him where you want to on your personal list, that's fine. I don't think it's crazy to have Aguero over him on your list. But I think there's some recency bias in the evaluation here. Some posters only remember the fat Rooney who looked like he had a beer and a smoke off camera.
Rooney barely ever played as an out and out striker at United. Berbatov, Tevez, RvP and RvN all played there over him. So he played as a wing, AM, second striker, and even CM to accommodate other players because of how well rounded of an attacker he was. So as an out and out striker yeah Aguero is probably better, but at his peak Rooney was an all round offensive force that people completely disparage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad