Where does Aguero rank in all-time PL striker rankings?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Another way to put it is : how many titles can City win without Aguero? Most of them (look at this year). How many does Blackburn win without Shearer? The answer is 0.
Well focus on the important ones the 4 epl trophies he was their top goal scorer in each of them along with the infamous one. That they for sure wouldnt have won without him. Just because they won this one in a shit year has no bearing on the previous years. THey wouldnt have one any of those most likely.

Reactions: luiginb

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Check every damn goalscoring record. Ronaldo, Messi. Who was on a team they lead to glory with role players besides them? None of the two. So slam someone like Shearer who DID lead an underdog to glory is certainly not a knock. And Messi and Ronaldo both shoot penalties. I'm sure I can't even imagine how many hundreds of penalties Ronaldo scored.

I'm assuming you're talking about Blackburn's title, since that's the only time he led anyone to anything. As others have pointed out, 1994 Blackburn is not the same thing as 2021 Blackburn. At the time, Blackburn was spending record fees on transfers (like they did for Shearer). This isn't Leicester and Vardy we're talking about.

Ronaldo and Messi are also perfect examples of what I was talking about too. Messi is able to score at similar pace to the one he used to score at because Barca plays the game around him entirely differently now and placates his declining skill set. And they are worse because of it and Pep will likely have to use him in a very different way too if City breaks the bank for him. In the Xavi, Iniesta days, Messi average 2.1 tackles/interceptions a game. This season, it's like 0.7 or something per game. He literally does under half the work he used to and gets similar offensive production because the offense is built around him. He can meander, sulk, and tip toe around the pitch for 70% of the game now and they'll let him. That never would have happened 10 years ago and there's no way 33 year old Messi has 30+ goals a season on golden era Barca (unless Pep uses him in a radically different way).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Worth asking if Aguero was ever City's best player in any of those title seasons too, which to my money I don't think he was in any of them...

I think the same thing has lately happened with Aguero as did with David Silva - a player was perhaps underrated for a long time, and so the pendulum swung pretty hard in the other direction to compensate.
I do think injuries play a part in that. But even then the difference between him, Silva, and Kompany is pretty minimal I would say. Maybe a hot take, but I think Toure was probably the one of the big 4 that peaked the highest. But I don't think he can be the greatest due to his exit and his longevity isn't quite the same as those. I personally think that goal is what swings it to Aguero.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm assuming you're talking about Blackburn's title, since that's the only time he led anyone to anything. As others have pointed out, 1994 Blackburn is not the same thing as 2021 Blackburn. At the time, Blackburn was spending record fees on transfers (like they did for Shearer). This isn't Leicester and Vardy we're talking about.

Ronaldo and Messi are also perfect examples of what I was talking about too. Messi is able to score at similar pace to the one he used to score at because Barca plays the game around him entirely differently now and placates his declining skill set. And they are worse because of it and Pep will likely have to use him in a very different way too if City breaks the bank for him. In the Xavi, Iniesta days, Messi average 2.1 tackles/interceptions a game. This season, it's like 0.7 or something per game. He literally does under half the work he used to and gets similar offensive production because the offense is built around him. He can meander, sulk, and tip toe around the pitch for 70% of the game now and they'll let him. That never would have happened 10 years ago and there's no way 33 year old Messi has 30+ goals a season on golden era Barca (unless Pep uses him in a radically different way).

Lol thats not why they're worse lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Another way to put it is : how many titles can City win without Aguero? Most of them (look at this year). How many does Blackburn win without Shearer? The answer is 0.
City (probably) still win in 2017-18 without Aguero, but none of the other ones.

Liverpool win in 13-14 and 18-19 (should have won anyway)

United win in 11–12

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

I know about Blackburn, I was there. I watched the games live, that's how old I am :D
Anyway, they still weren't the favourites. They still weren't a superteam like every challenging team is now.
And I'm not sure your stance on Messi changes anything, except reinforces what I say : players put insane numbers today ALSO because they're surrounded by great players.
So since Savant is saying Shearer is somehow a lesser player than Aguero because he has less titles, I find that VERY weird.
There were few teams that won every other year then. And in fact, Shearer chose to join Newcastle after that Blackburn stint even though he had many better offers. Sure he could have chosen to play for Real of United and won more titles. But I don't see as a knock against him, quite the contrary.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I do think injuries play a part in that. But even then the difference between him, Silva, and Kompany is pretty minimal I would say. Maybe a hot take, but I think Toure was probably the one of the big 4 that peaked the highest. But I don't think he can be the greatest due to his exit and his longevity isn't quite the same as those. I personally think that goal is what swings it to Aguero.
Hmm, I think Kompany scored quite the important goal too.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hmm, I think Kompany scored quite the important goal too.
100%. It has a lot of magnitude and importance, but I don't see how it's of more significant goal than Aguero's. It was for City's first ever title, in the last game of the season, in the last 30 seconds of entire season. It genuinely might be the most historic goal in the history of the entire league.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Since both goals won titles IIRC... the difference is minimal.

One occurred in the 4th minute of stoppage time of the last game of the season after your chief rivals and cross town team had just won their game to move ahead of you in the table and won a first top flight title in modern memory.

One occurred in the 70th minute of the 37th game of the season and helped with the 4th title in 8 years. Agureo scored in the 63rd minute of the game before (that was also 0-0 at the time) as well.

The difference in significance is massive.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Again, I'm not even sure why we're having this debate.
Both goals won titles, so I'm not sure how both players' importance relative to City is separated by that.
Especially since Kompany rarely scores, was the captain and soul of the team for years.

In fact, the more I'm discussing this, the more I think Kompany is a more important player than Aguero in City's years.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
One occurred in the 4th minute of stoppage time of the last game of the season after your chief rivals and cross town team had just won their game to move ahead of you in the table and won a first top flight title in modern memory.

One occurred in the 70th minute of the 37th game of the season and helped with the 4th title in 8 years. Agureo scored in the 63rd minute of the game before (that was also 0-0 at the time) as well.

The difference in significance is massive.
One of the most significant goals in the last 30 years of soccer in general not just the PL. Even ever honestly.

Reactions: hatterson

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Lol thats not why they're worse lol

There's no single athlete I've ever enjoyed watching more than Messi (in any sport), and he's by no means the main reason for their decline, but that offense moves far to much through him. He's able to still work magic with the ball, but he's slowed down the whole pace of the team which is why studs go to Barca and all of a sudden look like half the player.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
One of the most significant goals in the last 30 years of soccer in general not just the PL. Even ever honestly.

Yea if you were to list most dramatic goals/moments in world soccer in the last few decades, that is in the conversation at the top of the list because of how singular it was and how much of a swing it imparted.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There's no single athlete I've ever enjoyed watching more than Messi (in any sport), and he's by no means the main reason for their decline, but that offense moves far to much through him. He's able to still work magic with the ball, but he's slowed down the whole pace of the team which is why studs go to Barca and all of a sudden look like half the player.

The reason Barca looks like trash is not because Messi is a bit slower...

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I know about Blackburn, I was there. I watched the games live, that's how old I am :D
Anyway, they still weren't the favourites. They still weren't a superteam like every challenging team is now.
And I'm not sure your stance on Messi changes anything, except reinforces what I say : players put insane numbers today ALSO because they're surrounded by great players.
So since Savant is saying Shearer is somehow a lesser player than Aguero because he has less titles, I find that VERY weird.
There were few teams that won every other year then. And in fact, Shearer chose to join Newcastle after that Blackburn stint even though he had many better offers. Sure he could have chosen to play for Real of United and won more titles. But I don't see as a knock against him, quite the contrary.

I agree with everything you said. I don't really have a horse in this debate. My impulse is just to always push back on the assumption that good team = good stats, since I see that argument constantly and the inverse is often likely to happen too (like Kane putting up 100+ point seasons on some of the worst Blackhawks teams he's ever played for).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Who's the studs that look like half the player... and why do others outperform? Coutinho(lol) Greizzy? Demebele? Look at Fati, Puig, FDJ

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Who's the studs that look like half the player... and why do others outperform? Coutinho(lol) Greizzy? Demebele? Look at Fati, Puig, FDJ

Yeah, those were exactly the guys I was talking about. Watch how Griezmann played with Atletico when the emphasis was pace and speed. Also what am I supposed to look at with Fati and Puig? They're young kids who have only been with Barca. What are they outperforming? Their U21 careers? What's the point of comparison that's supposed to tell me that the system and style of play is helping their development and performance?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'd go with 4th right now.

1. Shearer
2. Henry
3. Kane
4. Aguero
5. Rooney
6. Vardy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad