Where does Aguero rank in all-time PL striker rankings?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
With Aguero set to leave City, where does he rank amongst all-time strikers of the Premier League era?

Followup question, is he the greatest City player of all time?

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Been hearing this question loads this week and so have been thinking about it. I have him in at #7, I think.

1. Thierry Henry - non-negotiable, the best player in the history of the EPL.
2. Alan Shearer - I think we sleep on how high his peak was, and absurd longevity.
3. Harry Kane - peak is nuts as well, remarkable consistency.
4. Luis Suarez - shorter career, but 2013-14 Suarez is potentially the best individual season in the history of the league.
5. Wayne Rooney - if we count him as a striker, he's here.
6. Didier Drogba - doesn't have Aguero's consistency, but the highs are absurdly high and the ability to take a game by the horns is unparalleled

Main thing with Aguero, I think, is that he was consistently very very good, but I don't think he was ever the best striker in the league

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Been hearing this question loads this week and so have been thinking about it. I have him in at #7, I think.

1. Thierry Henry - non-negotiable, the best player in the history of the EPL.
2. Alan Shearer - I think we sleep on how high his peak was, and absurd longevity.
3. Harry Kane - peak is nuts as well, remarkable consistency.
4. Luis Suarez - shorter career, but 2013-14 Suarez is potentially the best individual season in the history of the league.
5. Wayne Rooney - if we count him as a striker, he's here.
6. Didier Drogba - doesn't have Aguero's consistency, but the highs are absurdly high and the ability to take a game by the horns is unparalleled

Main thing with Aguero, I think, is that he was consistently very very good, but I don't think he was ever the best striker in the league
SHould be higher than Kane and Suarez. Also a better goal scorer than Shrek.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ehhh Kane has had Aguero's consistency with a higher peak and better all around play, and Suarez has the best season in the history of the league.
Kun had 7 seasons over 20 goals. Kane I believe has had 4. Suarez was insane for 2 seasons but longevity matters.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Ehhh Kane has had Aguero's consistency with a higher peak and better all around play, and Suarez has the best season in the history of the league.

Kane's had the benefit of being the stallion in a barn full of donkeys (okay, I'm being harsh, but you get the idea). I honestly don't see him going to a more equitable / distributed offense and putting up those kinds of numbers.

Also, if you're going to include Rooney (and I wouldn't) as a top striker, Ronaldo easily has one of the best goal scoring seasons in EPL history.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Shearer doesn’t match that trophy haul and wasn’t on many successful teams. He stayed in the league forever too. He’s great but Aguero has had a better career
Yeah he didn't play on all Star teams like every big name now. Should that be a case against him? Seriously? Because he had LESS support and spotlight?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Shearer doesn’t match that trophy haul and wasn’t on many successful teams. He stayed in the league forever too. He’s great but Aguero has had a better career

Shearer winning the PL with Blackburn is more impressive than anything City has ever done.

Aguero is super underrated though. Remarkably consistent when fit, during a time when most clubs had a revolving door of goal scorers.

Reactions: Evilo

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd probably put him 4th behind Shearer, Henry, and Rooney.

As for greatest City player? I think so, I think it's neck and neck between him and Silva but the title winning goal tips it in Aguero's favor.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Shearer winning the PL with Blackburn is more impressive than anything City has ever done.

Aguero is super underrated though. Remarkably consistent when fit, during a time when most clubs had a revolving door of goal scorers.
This is a bit of revisionist history. The title winning Blackburn team weren’t lovable underdogs like Leicester was. Blackburn was a team that bought that title.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Yeah he didn't play on all Star teams like every big name now. Should that be a case against him? Seriously? Because he had LESS support and spotlight?

There really isn't the correlation you would think there is between being on a good team and having padded stats. It can be a blessing and a curse. If you're "the" guy, like Shearer was, you get every PK you want (56 of his PL goals, btw), every spot kick you want, and I doubt anyone's yelling at you to win balls back like you'd have to in Klopp or Pep's systems. Just like some NHL players thrive on garbage teams because they get every offensive zone faceoff, every PP shift, etc.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'd probably put him 4th behind Shearer, Henry, and Rooney.

As for greatest City player? I think so, I think it's neck and neck between him and Silva but the title winning goal tips it in Aguero's favor.
No way would I put Rooney ahead of Aguero. Rooney wasn't nearly as consistent and doesn't have the goal scoring record.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
This is a bit of revisionist history. The title winning Blackburn team weren’t lovable underdogs like Leicester was. Blackburn was a team that bought that title.

fair. I just don’t love lauding Aguero for City’s success. He’s great don’t get me wrong. But I tend to gravitate to individualism in these arguments over team success

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Worth asking if Aguero was ever City's best player in any of those title seasons too, which to my money I don't think he was in any of them...

I think the same thing has lately happened with Aguero as did with David Silva - a player was perhaps underrated for a long time, and so the pendulum swung pretty hard in the other direction to compensate.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Worth asking if Aguero was ever City's best player in any of those title seasons too, which to my money I don't think he was in any of them...

I think the same thing has lately happened with Aguero as did with David Silva - a player was perhaps underrated for a long time, and so the pendulum swung pretty hard in the other direction to compensate.
Kun is definitely underrated on here anyway. He plays in the most hated club while having the most important goal of that clubs history. Easily the best player in their history

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There really isn't the correlation you would think there is between being on a good team and having padded stats. It can be a blessing and a curse. If you're "the" guy, like Shearer was, you get every PK you want (56 of his PL goals, btw), every spot kick you want, and I doubt anyone's yelling at you to win balls back like you'd have to in Klopp or Pep's systems. Just like some NHL players thrive on garbage teams because they get every offensive zone faceoff, every PP shift, etc.
Check every damn goalscoring record. Ronaldo, Messi. Who was on a team they lead to glory with role players besides them? None of the two. So slam someone like Shearer who DID lead an underdog to glory is certainly weird. And Messi and Ronaldo both shoot penalties. I'm sure I can't even imagine how many hundreds of penalties Ronaldo scored.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Another way to put it is : how many titles can City win without Aguero? Most of them (look at this year). How many does Blackburn win without Shearer? The answer is 0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad