Where do you think Askarov will land?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Keep in mind that Carolina just drafted Kochetkov in the 2nd round last year.

Yeah, but...

*The Canes need to improve their goaltending.
*Having several chances to acquire him, the Canes have shown no interest whatsoever in Lehner. Whatever their reasons, that probably continues.
*Markstrom is likely not even reaching UFA. *Nedeljkovic is looking bust.
*Mrazek and Reimer isn't a goalie pair that can carry a team to a Cup.
*Even with Kochetkov, our goalie spec. pipeline is pretty shallow.

This just seems like such an obvious pick.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Keep in mind that Carolina just drafted Kochetkov in the 2nd round last year.

Askarov is a franchise goalie prospect, I wouldn't put much value on that.

On offense they have guys like Aho, Svec, Necas, TT as building blocks, on defense Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton as building blocks.
They have their franchise guys to build around, outside the net.

At 13 it's a perfect spot to go for a potential franchise goalie, he could make the biggest impact from their picking spot.

Reactions: Szechwan

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Askarov is a franchise goalie prospect, I wouldn't put much value on that.

On offense they have guys like Aho, Svec, Necas, TT as building blocks, on defense Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton as building blocks.
They have their franchise guys to build around, outside the net.

At 13 it's a perfect spot to go for a potential franchise goalie, he could make the biggest impact from their picking spot.

You are absolutely correct about Carolina having the building blocks. In the Boston series it was apparent where the Bruins were better—2C. Krejci had 8 points in 5 games; Trocheck had 2.

The Canes might move Necas to C, but not looking likely. Suzuki has potential. So there is an argument that Lundell or Zary at 13 would help the team as much if not more than Askarov. The biggest advantage is that one of them could be in the NHL in 2-3 years, only in the best-case does a goalie make a difference at 21.

Looking at it another way—is Tampa better off because of Vasilevsky or Point/Cirelli? Boston defeated Carolina with Halak, it is hard to argue they have the same result without Krejci.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think the Edmonton is the perfect landing spot for Askarov.

But if I recall they haven't drafted a ton out of Russia, but maybe an Oilers fan can clarify that for sure ?

Keep in mind, it's a fairly new regime in Edmonton.

As seen with the Broberg pick,
I don't think Holland's got any issue drafting someone who's a couple years out from the NHL and/or from Europe with a high pick.

Personally I really like the idea of taking Askarov from Edmonton's POV. They've got a couple lottery tickets in net, but no bluechip option. The team also already has a good number of prospects graduating over the next year or two, so adding another 1st rounder (who will have some pressure to make the roster ASAP) would only muddle that water more.

Plus Edmonton's U25 core is still the best in the league (even if the defence is completely unproven, no other team features 2 Art Ross winners, and a winger that managed a PPG pace after getting called up at New Year's.)

Draisaitl-McDavid-Yamamoto
Broberg-Bouchard

Askarov rounds that out nicely.

Reactions: DJB

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You are absolutely correct about Carolina having the building blocks. In the Boston series it was apparent where the Bruins were better—2C. Krejci had 8 points in 5 games; Trocheck had 2.

The Canes might move Necas to C, but not looking likely. Suzuki has potential. So there is an argument that Lundell or Zary at 13 would help the team as much if not more than Askarov. The biggest advantage is that one of them could be in the NHL in 2-3 years, only in the best-case does a goalie make a difference at 21.

Looking at it another way—is Tampa better off because of Vasilevsky or Point/Cirelli? Boston defeated Carolina with Halak, it is hard to argue they have the same result without Krejci.

Krejci was a 2nd round pick. Point and Cirelli were both 3rd round picks. There is no doubt that Vasilevski is a key to Tampa's success and that Rask was key to Boston's regular season success. Both Rask and Vasilevski being 1st round picks.

It would appear if the Tampa/Boston model is one to follow the Canes need to find supplemental talent in the 2nd/3rd rounds as well as a reliable starter. Maybe one of Drury, Rees, Suzuki, Geekie, Necas, or this year's 2nd/3rd round picks can become that needed 2C. Or maybe Trocheck can finally start producing points again.

In both Askarov and a Lundell/Zary/etc. case neither is likely to make much impact during this 4-5 year window the Canes are in. If anything Askarov probably has a better chance of being a starter in 2-3 years (a-la Hart) than a #13 Overall forward being a 2C in 2-3 years. How many 20-22 year old #2Cs are there currently?

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Keep in mind, it's a fairly new regime in Edmonton.

As seen with the Broberg pick,
I don't think Holland's got any issue drafting someone who's a couple years out from the NHL and/or from Europe with a high pick.

Personally I really like the idea of taking Askarov from Edmonton's POV. They've got a couple lottery tickets in net, but no bluechip option. The team also already has a good number of prospects graduating over the next year or two, so adding another 1st rounder (who will have some pressure to make the roster ASAP) would only muddle that water more.

Plus Edmonton's U25 core is still the best in the league (even if the defence is completely unproven, no other team features 2 Art Ross winners, and a winger that managed a PPG pace after getting called up at New Year's.)

Draisaitl-McDavid-Yamamoto
Broberg-Bouchard

Askarov rounds that out nicely.

That's not a core. That's 2 studs and bunch of question marks. Edmonton has the fire power, now they desperately need to set their sights on 2 way forwards and defensemen who can actually play defense. Askarov is a much better fit for Carolina.

Reactions: AD1066

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
How many 20-22 year old #2Cs are there currently?

If you look at the most recent 5 drafts that have third-year production (2013-2017), 3 of 5 centers available at pick 13 contributed 40 or more points in their 3rd year (Wennberg, Barzal, and Suzuki—who was drafted the year after Hart).

Hart, who is the best-case goalie from that cohort played in 31 games his D+2 season, mostly because Philadelphia had no playoff expectations for their season. Vasilevsky played in 16 games in D+2 and 24 in D+3.

I see the argument for Askarov. However, based on the actual success of similar picks there is an equally strong case for trying to find Barzal or Suzuki (admittedly Wennberg has fallen off since his D+3 year).

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If you look at the most recent 5 drafts that have third-year production (2013-2017), 3 of 5 centers available at pick 13 contributed 40 or more points in their 3rd year (Wennberg, Barzal, and Suzuki—who was drafted the year after Hart).

Hart, who is the best-case goalie from that cohort played in 31 games his D+2 season, mostly because Philadelphia had no playoff expectations for their season. Vasilevsky played in 16 games in D+2 and 24 in D+3.

I see the argument for Askarov. However, based on the actual success of similar picks there is an equally strong case for trying to find Barzal or Suzuki (admittedly Wennberg has fallen off since his D+3 year).

I don't really consider Barzal applicable here. He fell significantly out of a stacked top-10 largely due to Boston's incompetence. Barzal falling would be akin to Rossi or Perfetti falling, if that happens then the Canes should be all over them.

The Canes passed on Suzuki at #12 in 2017. Suzuki has been better than all 6 of the Centers taken directly before him in Necas, Vilardi, Rasmussen, Mittelstadt, Lias Andersson, and Cody Glass. So here's to hoping if the Canes did take a Center in that spot they they would hit on the right one (about 14% chance according to 2017). Just one of Jarvis, Holloway, Lundell, Zary, Mercer, Borque, and Lapierre could be that #2C in 3-4 years.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I don't really consider Barzal applicable here. He fell significantly out of a stacked top-10 largely due to Boston's incompetence. Barzal falling would be akin to Rossi or Perfetti falling, if that happens then the Canes should be all over them.

The Canes have #13 in this draft. The Bruins didn't have any of the first 12 picks in 2015. How was his being available at the same pick "largely due to Boston's incompetence?"

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Canes have #13 in this draft. The Bruins didn't have any of the first 12 picks in 2015. How was his being available at the same pick "largely due to Boston's incompetence?"

Boston had #13, #14, and #15 in 2015 and passed on Barzal three times despite him being ranked top-10 by just about every outlet. Just as Carolina had #12 in 2017 and passed on Nick Suzuki, it isn't as simple as saying "well the best player in hindsight was available with this pick so we will get that guy in that slot".

Historically there is a low chance the Canes would pick the right guy, probably about 10-20%. Historically goalies ranked as highly as Askarov appear to have a better batting average in the past ~10 years.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Boston had #13, #14, and #15 in 2015 and passed on Barzal three times despite him being ranked top-10 by just about every outlet. Just as Carolina had #12 in 2017 and passed on Nick Suzuki, it isn't as simple as saying "well the best player in hindsight was available with this pick so we will get that guy in that slot".

Historically there is a low chance the Canes would pick the right guy, probably about 10-20%. Historically goalies ranked as highly as Askarov appear to have a better batting average in the past ~10 years.

Boston reached for Senyshyn when Barzal and Kyle Connor were staring them in the face as no brainer picks.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Yeah, but...

*The Canes need to improve their goaltending.
*Having several chances to acquire him, the Canes have shown no interest whatsoever in Lehner. Whatever their reasons, that probably continues.
*Markstrom is likely not even reaching UFA. *Nedeljkovic is looking bust.
*Mrazek and Reimer isn't a goalie pair that can carry a team to a Cup.
*Even with Kochetkov, our goalie spec. pipeline is pretty shallow.

This just seems like such an obvious pick.
What happened with him? It doesn't seem that long ago that he was considered one of the best G prospects in the league.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope Carolina doesn’t select him. If he turns into a generational goalie with that team surrounding him, that’s one of the best teams in the league. And they play in our division. No thanks. The only player in this draft I want to stay out of my team’s division and conference.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I don’t think anyone is really expecting Lundell to be there with Nashville, Minnesota& Jets all picking ahead of Carolina, and all looking at C upgrades.

Point is also way more than just a 2nd line center

Elite goaltending has been a big part on both Tampas and Bostons consistent success and why they are seen as threats year in year out

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Makes sense in CAR, but I don’t see it. Canes need a #1G at the start of next season, not in 3-5 years, which will likely be his timeline for arrival to the NHL. While wouldn’t be surprised it CAR takes him in the first round, I more so think they’ll go for a Jarvis (my fave at the moment), Mercer, Holloway or Zary. Or a faller out of the top 10 falls into their lap at 13, like Lundell.

This years ufa goalie crop is pretty extraordinary and other established #1 guys might hit the trade market. I think that’s how CAR finally gets their goalie, in UFA or trade. That said, I also wouldn’t be shocked if they just picked the Russian.
Why can’t they do both? Sign Khudobin or grab Holtby or someone and still draft Askarov for the future

it’s not like they are in need of immediate or future help at any other position, and every player selected at 13 are 3-5 years away from the nhl anyway

i think it’s an awesome fit for the hurricanes. Imagine a young Vasilevskiy playing with Svechnikov, Necas, Suzuki, Hamilton, Teraivanen, Pesce ... still in their prime

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He'll be drafted at 13 or 15. If hes gone at 13 Leaf fans will rage about the what if's since theyll always be connected to that pick.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
This is where Re-drafts matter. It takes a long time for goalies to develop. You have to re-rank goalie drafts on where you would take them comparative to skaters in development. Goalies have a different development curve.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I hope Carolina doesn’t select him. If he turns into a generational goalie with that team surrounding him, that’s one of the best teams in the league. And they play in our division. No thanks. The only player in this draft I want to stay out of my team’s division and conference.
When I've done my Mock Drafts teams like Chicago,Minnesota,Carolina came up as landing spots for Askarov...even Boston is in now that Rask will soon retire so says he! If Bergevin can get a tonne outta Colorado for Price then Montreal too has to be considered

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
First off, I love how any prospect drafted by Minnesota gets knocked down a peg or two simply because it's Minnesota. If Kahkonen had ended up in New York, or in Montreal, or anywhere, he'd be considered a top flight goaltending prospect.

Secondly, if I am guessing, you're talking about Blackwood right? Blackwood struggled a lot more in the AHL than Kahkonen. He has a few more games than Kahkonen, but Kahkonen was never demoted to the ECHL either. But Blackwood posted 88 GP, 2.95 GAA and a .897 SV% with 6 SO.

Kahkonen has played 73 games with a .916 SV% and a 2.45 GAA and 13 shutouts. Hell, in his first year Kahkonen matched Blackwood's SO total.

Kahkonen is extremely underrated as far as goaltenders go.

Thirdly, the Devils have questionable goaltending depth outside of Blackwood. Cole Brady hasn't even made it to the NCAA and uh is playing at Arizona State University, Gilles Senn is as old as Blackwood, but has played 1/4th of the time, McIntyre is 27 and Cormier is buried. That is pretty shaky depth. In the majors, they have Schneider and now Blackwood. They have 6 goaltenders, and only Blackwood has shown any prospects. Brady is a long term prospect, Senn is...just there. McIntyre is there. And Cormier isn't much of a prospect.

Minnesota doesn't have questionable depth. They have Jones (who may end up in the AHL or back in the OHL), Lindberg (who is currently splitting duties but has put up good numbers) that haven't even made it into the AHL. I wouldn't put it outside Minnesota to draft a goaltender again this year just to keep up with depth, but with Jones and Lindberg, I don't see them taking yet another long term goaltender, when they have two long term goaltenders that may end up being pretty good.

Finally, Minnesota doesn't have three first round picks. New Jersey could take Askarov and then two other good prospects in the mid-to-late first round. Minnesota can't do that.
I'm agreeing with your logic...N Jersey may need a 'tender sooner rather than later and Minnesota seems to be in alright shape,even though Guerin said 'tenders at the NHL level beware. In my Mocks I had Minny take a 'tender...not so sure that's going to happen now though not with a glaring weakness down the middle and age creeping up and showing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad