Where do you put the rage?

VoiceOfReason

Dec 19, 2005
from parts unknown
I rewatch Season 1 of Oil Change and convince myself that this team is still a couple complementary players away from Gilbert, Gagner, and Cogliano leading us back to the promised land!

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Last time I raged after a game was three years ago when the Oilers lost to the Stars in OT. Now, they just keep losing that apathy has set in even when I witness an OT loss (could never take those).

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
MacT and Lowe. Their incompetence will take several more years to cleanse.

and I'm not sure if they'll ever fully recover. An entire generation of would-be, lifelong, Oiler fans has been lost.

this was a storied franchise. It is now seen as a joke. How will it be viewed in 10 years? 20? Even if they win 2 or 3 cups (doubtful), I don't think they will ever shake this well deserved rep.

It's possible that the Lowe-era will over-shadow the Gretzky-era. time will tell.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
I rage at the slackers hiding out under the oil-drop section on the new Tin Palace. I drive through there every single day so I have lots of opportunities to take it out on the workers puffing away on their smokes while blabbing on their cellphones. :rant:

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Decided before the season even began that I wouldn't expect anything positive from this squad outside of a few exciting games, so there's nothing for me to be upset about. I'm excited to see what Chia will do with these guys.

I'm embarrassed we're in dead last again though, I didn't think it would be THIS bad.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
There isn't any rage left.

I don't follow the team. Meaning that I've stopped reading articles, watching highlights, looking for interviews, etc. Don't post on HF a lot either.

I sit down to watch maybe one game per week, and even those I turn off when I realize that they're going to lose. In the past, I would stay pissed off and rant on HF or reddit or whatever. Now I just shut it out of my mind and go on with my day. And I hardly ever think about hockey until the next game I happen to catch.

It's a stark contrast to how excited I was for this season.

This new arrangement is certainly better for my quality of life, but it's pretty sad that I don't have one-tenth of the passion for this team that I used to.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
No rage now. Haven't posted here In While. Have not watched one minute of any of the past few games. Toronto was the last game I seen.

No more optimism from me u til this team is changed heavily. Maybe we need a tenth coach.....

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
For me it was more Kevin Lowe than MacT.. even though I didn't like both of them. I just hated the fact that the OBC was still holding prominent jobs after so many years of suckage and failure and the owner was afraid to fire his buddies. Having new faces like Chia and McLellan is very refreshing and they will get slack and time from me in turning this thing around.

I think you would lose your mind if you tried to take this team too seriously. At some point, you just have to lower all your hopes and expectations of this team and once you do.. you just don't get angry after every loss.

But one way I like to make myself feel better about the Oilers is watching highlights of the top prospects in the upcoming draft lol.

All of this, I think most would say they are part hesitant/ part hopeful that new vision and identity within the next few months will shape the organization.

The draft for me was no surprise there wasn't enough time or groundwork for Chia to go in there and make a big splash.

Most if not all I think are thinking something big will happen involving draft, trade deadline, free agency. If not I could see fan disappointment sink farther down even with a new arena. It has it's shiny allure to it right now, but I think that it would be a breeding ground for a lot of discontent and while the arena would be packed the team wouldn't be getting a warm welcome all the time from fans.

Having said that I think the new arena is just a new breath of air for the organization, a new identity, and just in general a different atmosphere for the players to rebuild and shape what they all are about.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I hate them. Not the players themselves. the whole concept that is the Oilers.
I can't stop cheering for them. hell I'd like nothing more than to see those guys succeed.

But I'm tired of pulling punches. Call a spade a spade.

This team can only be described by the word "LOSERS"

That's what they are. That's why I rage.

They could play a good game.. they'll find a way to lose. it's engrained in the sweater.
Worst part is.. they know it. Bunch of losers......

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Games used to end with loud, long curses hurled at the play of the Oilers. It dwindled down to ranting on here and muttering at the TV.

Now... now, I just go and blow stuff up in BF4 for a little stress relief. I still mutter curses under my breath at the Oilers though.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
and I'm not sure if they'll ever fully recover. An entire generation of would-be, lifelong, Oiler fans has been lost.

this was a storied franchise. It is now seen as a joke. How will it be viewed in 10 years? 20? Even if they win 2 or 3 cups (doubtful), I don't think they will ever shake this well deserved rep.

It's possible that the Lowe-era will over-shadow the Gretzky-era. time will tell.

So ridiculously dramatic. :shakehead

Look at the dead things era that arguably ended in Detroit 33 years ago. From 70-71 to 82-83 they made the playoffs exactly once. They were the laughing stock of the league back then.

Now they are seen as a model franchise.

These things are cyclical. If the Oilers make the playoffs the bandwagon will get pretty close to full right away. A cup win? All will be forgotten, by most people, of the sadness that marked the KLowe era. An era which symbolically ended with one golden ticket!

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
I don't rage anymore. I just laugh. Maybe that's even worse.

I expected us to finish better than last year. Just not by as slim a margin as it appears we're going to finish. At this point I'm just hoping for 30-41-11, forget about a .500 season.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Wife hates when I watch the Oilers because I curse too much. That's at the beginning of the season.

At this point its just a situational comedy again. A rerun though.

Which reminds me, why don't the Oilers broadcasts have a laughtrack???

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Wife hates when I watch the Oilers because I curse too much. That's at the beginning of the season.

According to my girlfriend, apparently my eye and lip start twitching sometimes when I'm watching the game.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

Which reminds me, why don't the Oilers broadcasts have a laughtrack???

They've already got a clown, I think you're asking for too much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad