Where Do We Finish (Playoffs)?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks did not have any firepower against Edmonton. Will Roy make all the difference?

Kesler hasn't looked very good after returning from injuries before, I am expecting him to need some games before he can contribute much. I don't think he'll get soft minutes from Vignault, either. It's a lot to ask, expecting him to carry the team in the playoffs.

The real issue, for me, is how done are the Sedins? We will know right away. They play Edmonton again, tonight. I would be surprised if they are effective. They have looked tentative since Kassian came off their line. When Kassian finishes his bus tour, he might be able to contribute, but that's unknown.

Luongo just told everybody he'd tear up his contract to leave. Is this going to be an issue? Five million to ride the bench and he is hating it? What does that sound like to a guy who works his butt off every shift for twenty percent of that? Team psyches are fragile.

This team was built to win on the powerplay. Now, there is no powerplay. Hmm?

I said second round because this team has a lot of speed and might surprise a slow defense in a series, but that won't work twice.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
In a glorious rematch of the 2011 finals, the Canucks pull a role reversal with the Bruins, winning in 7 on Boston's home ice. Buoyed by Keith Ballard's Conn Smythe performance, the Canucks start out slow, down 0-2, but then AV, the master of strategy, takes it upon himself to utilize Luongo to his fullest extent and maximize his potential: by having him take on the role of Twitter Troll from the bench.

With Boston getting attacked on two fronts (both the ice, and the internet), they start to lose focus. Rask has a meltdown and breaks Chara's legs after another patented but poorly aimed Rask stick swipe, Kassian proves his worth by successfully using his face to break Milan Lucic's hand, and Derek Roy takes Seguin to the cleaners, showing him the rules of keeping an apartment clean.

As the Canucks celebrate and get ready to hoist the cup, a strung-out Tim Thomas emerges from his bunker, declaring the apocalypse. Twitter MVP Luongo quells his fears by buying him brand new, fully pumped tires.

In the offseason, Luongo is traded to Philly for the rights to the universe and all else humongous big. The universe has a plan, but it gets swallowed up by David 'Black Hole' Booth. The DNA tests come back and Schneider realizes that he is in fact the long lost third sibling in the gingerbread clan.

AV gets a 10 year contract extension and kicks off the 2013/14 season by scratching Keith Ballard for no apparent reason other than forgetting to shave off his playoff beard. Andrew Ebbett takes his place. Everyone goes back to complaining about everything and nothing, and it still rains in Vancouver.

Lundface*

Why is everyone scared of the kings? Theyre good but the stars aligned for them last year. If healthy I'm not as concerned about them as the hawks..... In reality none of it matter since the chance that this team is ever healthy is very, very slim

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not trying to start something, but am I the only one here who thinks predictions are dumb? Especially game by game predictions where you list out who scores. I don't know why it annoys me, but I hate going through a GDT and seeing 5 pages of random and pointless made up scoring summaries.

Just watch the games and hope for the best.

I'm not particularly pessimistic or optimistic right now. I personally like our fully healthy lineup better than anything we've had, but that looks like a pipedream at this point. With the way things are rounding out right now, I can also see the team falling apart or the Luongo thing being a distraction.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgin - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Booth - Lapierre - Kassian (only because Booth won't have time to get up to speed)

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Ballard

Schneider
Luongo

Would have be amazing though. No checking line still worries me.

I guess my pipe dream would be that Kassian goes nuts and we can go with the 3 scoring lines but one is a dynamite all purpose line setup.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Roy - Higgins
Booth - Lapierre - Weise

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
In a glorious rematch of the 2011 finals, the Canucks pull a role reversal with the Bruins, winning in 7 on Boston's home ice. Buoyed by Keith Ballard's Conn Smythe performance, the Canucks start out slow, down 0-2, but then AV, the master of strategy, takes it upon himself to utilize Luongo to his fullest extent and maximize his potential: by having him take on the role of Twitter Troll from the bench.

With Boston getting attacked on two fronts (both the ice, and the internet), they start to lose focus. Rask has a meltdown and breaks Chara's legs after another patented but poorly aimed Rask stick swipe, Kassian proves his worth by successfully using his face to break Milan Lucic's hand, and Derek Roy takes Seguin to the cleaners, showing him the rules of keeping an apartment clean.

As the Canucks celebrate and get ready to hoist the cup, a strung-out Tim Thomas emerges from his bunker, declaring the apocalypse. Twitter MVP Luongo quells his fears by buying him brand new, fully pumped tires.

In the offseason, Luongo is traded to Philly for the rights to the universe and all else humongous big. The universe has a plan, but it gets swallowed up by David 'Black Hole' Booth. The DNA tests come back and Schneider realizes that he is in fact the long lost third sibling in the gingerbread clan.

AV gets a 10 year contract extension and kicks off the 2013/14 season by scratching Keith Ballard for no apparent reason other than forgetting to shave off his playoff beard. Andrew Ebbett takes his place. Everyone goes back to complaining about everything and nothing, and it still rains in Vancouver.

Lol:laugh:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Why is everyone scared of the kings? Theyre good but the stars aligned for them last year. If healthy I'm not as concerned about them as the hawks..... In reality none of it matter since the chance that this team is ever healthy is very, very slim

I think it's the Blackhawks effect, kind of a 'here we go, again...' feeling in the fan base when they think of a rematch with the Kings. I do think you're right though, the Kings aren't going deep this year. Quick hasn't been on his game for most of the season, and they aren't going to ride Bernier in the playoffs and bench Quick and his Conn Smyth and massive salary.

While the Blackhawks have been on fire this season, Crawford tends to collapse when the pressure is on. I think they are upset candidates.

The Ducks overachieved, riding a hot rookie goaltender. They haven't convinced me that they are for real either.

The Wild are better than they were picking up Parise and Suter, but I still think the Canucks (when healthy) heavily outmatch them.

The Red Wings have had some great puck-luck against the Canucks in the two games, but without Lidstrom they are a middle tier team. I expect them to put up a good fight, but I still think the Canucks are the favorites in a hypothetical series.

If Halak is still out in the first round, the Blues won't be going anywhere. Elliot completely melted down against the Kings last year.

The Sharks have an identical record to the Canucks, except that they are world-beaters at home, and terrible on the road. Either they are benefiting greatly from last change, or they are getting 'home reffing'. I'm guessing it's the latter.

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK
I Don't usually do predictions, but what the hell...

1. Chicago
2. Anaheim
3. Minnesota
----------------
4. Vancouver
5. San Jose
6. Detroit
7. LA
8. St Louis

Then in the playoffs...

1. St Louis v Chicago in 6
2. LA v Anaheim in 7
3. Detroit v Minnesota in 5
4. San Jose v Vancouver in 4

1. Vancouver v Chicago in 7
2. LA v Minnesota in 7

1. Vancouver over LA in 5

Final: Pittsburgh v Vancouver in 6

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I honestly don't have the foggiest notion. Nothing would shock me. Not a first round exit, and not a trip to the finals.

This team seems capable of everything and of nothing all at once. The Canucks are a ******* mystery to me, and I've only missed a handful of games in the last two seasons.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

hahah awesome

Admit it, you spent an entire hour writing that post, didn't you?

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
I honestly don't have the foggiest notion. Nothing would shock me. Not a first round exit, and not a trip to the finals.

This team seems capable of everything and of nothing all at once. The Canucks are a ******* mystery to me, and I've only missed a handful of games in the last two seasons.

I agree.

I think there are fundamental problems with the system we play and the flexibility of the coaching strategies, especially the ****ing power play. However, adding two defensively sound (one more so) 70 point centres, Raymond (potentially even Ballard - either as a forward or d-man), and good play from a rookie or two, could potentially render the coaching issues moot and put us on a level with Chicago.

Alternatively, we could continue to play listless, boring hockey and stumble out of the 1st round after being dominated by a team that actually put in an effort and played to a specific plan.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that to me the whole question begins and ends with the Sedins. We need them to catch fire offensively. Not just cycle a lot in the other teams offensive zone, but as in putting the puck in the motha****ing net.

If we can do that and get solid goal tending, sprinkle in some consistent/relatively bad-turnover free defense and decent secondary scoring and we can hang with anyone imho.

Kesler too obviously, as much as the Sedins really if he can return to top form, and Burr being clutch again couldn't hurt.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Obviously anything can happen in the playoffs but I just can't forget the hockey they've played so far this year. No energy, intensity and for some players no effort. I see this team bouncing out the first rnd.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hmmm:

1. Chicago
2. Anaheim
3. Minnesota
4. Los Angeles
5. St. Louis
6. Detroit
7. Vancouver
8. San Jose

Chicago over San Jose in 5
Anaheim over Vancouver in 6
Detroit over Minnesota in 7
LA over St. Louis in 5

Chicago over Detroit in 7
Anaheim over LA in 6

Chicago over Anaheim in 6

Chicago over Montreal in 5

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

:laugh: Nicely done - some needed levity.

As for where we finish, it depends on a few factors from where I sit; namely matchups and health. If our roster is actually healthy going into the playoffs, I think we can go toe-to-toe with any team in the West.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
Why are people afraid of LA? They are one of the few playoff teams in the west I think we would beat. If we have to "avoid" teams, then we may as well pack it up right away. I said it last year as well, if we don't win the cup, I'd rather just lose in a short first round series. Makes it a lot easier imo, and i think that's probably what will happen. This team has no identity.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Why are people afraid of LA? They are one of the few playoff teams in the west I think we would beat. If we have to "avoid" teams, then we may as well pack it up right away. I said it last year as well, if we don't win the cup, I'd rather just lose in a short first round series. Makes it a lot easier imo, and i think that's probably what will happen. This team has no identity.

I just hate LA. I think we can beat them, the only reason we couldn't last year is they got hot at the right time. I don't see that happening again.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Poll shows that no one really knows what this team will do. One thing to note is they have experience now, they know what the playoffs are all about. The rules change and every play matters, that should work in their favour.

But with the lack of consistancy and health, it's hard to know what will happen.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Watch this be the year that we **** it up in the regular season, go into the playoffs with like no confidence in this team, and then they start tearing **** up. I'm talking Kesler vs Nashville mode, Sedins vs San Jose mode, all at the same time.

All while Gillis (and probably Luongo) laugh at us.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Watch this be the year that we **** it up in the regular season, go into the playoffs with like no confidence in this team, and then they start tearing **** up. I'm talking Kesler vs Nashville mode, Sedins vs San Jose mode, all at the same time.

All while Gillis (and probably Luongo) laugh at us.

That would be awesome.

Sadly this group seems more compelled with tanking in games this season. :(

TheSnowLeopard

Jan 8, 2013
Soviet Kanuckistan
We will be lucky to make the playoffs with how the team is playing at the moment.

Our D is an absolute mess with most nights it looking like everyone is doing impressions of Cam Barker (Garrison, Bieksa) or the "bad" Alberts (Edler). The Sedins look distinterested and outside of Tanev, Higgins, Hansen and Burrows there is rarely any sense of urgency.

I can't see how Kesler returning from injury in this short time window is guaranteed to make a difference. Derek Roy's F/O percentage also does not look all that awesome this year at 46.7% so I do not him replacing Malholtra as our saviour either.

There just does not appear to be enough confidence or hunger in the team this year to go very far.

Cheers

Dado

We will be lucky to make the playoffs with how the team is playing at the moment.

Don't know if I'd go that far. We basically have to play 0.300 hockey the rest of the way to keep a spot - and we're certainly good enough to do that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad