Where Do We Finish (Playoffs)?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
If Kesler is actually healthy maybe 2nd round.

If not probably finish 6th-9th... if they squeak in bow out in 6 max.

I have no confidence in this d-group or in the wingers to score in crunch time (aside from Burrows).

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
also its pretty easy to tell in retrospect that the entire hockey world undervalued the strength of adding a star centre and getting rid of a giant defensive liability simultaneously

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Team Odds
Pittsburgh Penguins 7/2
Chicago Blackhawks 11/2
Boston Bruins 7/1
Anaheim Ducks 10/1
Montreal Canadiens 10/1
Minnesota Wild 12/1
Vancouver Canucks 15/1

Los Angeles Kings 16/1
San Jose Sharks 20/1
New York Rangers 20/1
Detroit Red Wings 20/1
St Louis Blues 25/1
New Jersey Devils 30/1
Carolina Hurricanes 40/1
Ottawa Senators 40/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 40/1
New York Islanders 50/1
Washington Capitals 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 60/1
Dallas Stars 60/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 60/1
Nashville Predators 60/1
Edmonton Oilers 60/1
Philadelphia Flyers 75/1
Buffalo Sabres 75/1
Phoenix Coyotes 100/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 200/1
Calgary Flames 500/1
Colorado Avalanche 500/1
Florida Panthers 500/1

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/

Looks about right, I had us at 5% before Roy, so 7% after.

Al Swearengen

Smug Nation National
Mar 29, 2010
I voted conference finals. If we can win the division and avoid LA in the first round, I have a fair amount of confidence in us versus any of the bottom-4 in the west, although I think Minnesota would be our worst match-up, followed by StL. In the 2nd round, I am still not a believer in Anaheim and think we could soundly thump them in 5. Round three, we probably see Chicago, and pending the goaltending letdown I've been waiting for all season, I don't think their momentum and self-belief can be countered.
If we don't win the division and can get out of the first round, then its Chicago in the 2nd round, same outcome as above.

Still, I think that there is a ton of value in the 15/1-20/1 odds Vegas is giving the Canucks right now on SC futures. We get good goaltending and we have very good team defense (2.1 goals against in our last 12 which includes the most recent thumping at the hands of the Red Wings and the turd we laid vs. Edmonton on Saturday). If everyone is back and healthy:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Roy
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Wiess - Lappiere - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Edler
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

More than anything, winning the Stanley Cup requires having all your cylinders firing at once, with some puck/injury luck on the side. If we get that, we are very good. But good enough to beat a Pittsburgh or Chicago side that can say the same thing? No.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I'm sure many of them are using last year as precedent. Probably not the wisest idea.

We won the Presidents trophy last year and went out in 5 games. This year we have the worst powerplay in the league and it looks like it could be the worst in franchise history. The Sedins are probably playing the worst hockey of their careers, Edler is awful, Kesler had two surgeries and a broken foot to come back from, Booth was useless when he was healthy, and Ballard has probably been one of our more solid D-men. If betting against that is not a wise idea I really have to question what the bet is.

Al Swearengen

Smug Nation National
Mar 29, 2010
Team Odds

I bolded the bets I like and italicized the ones I hate.

Pittsburgh Penguins 7/2
Chicago Blackhawks 11/2
Boston Bruins 7/1
Anaheim Ducks 10/1
Montreal Canadiens 10/1

Minnesota Wild 12/1
Vancouver Canucks 15/1

Los Angeles Kings 16/1
San Jose Sharks 20/1
New York Rangers 20/1
Detroit Red Wings 20/1

St Louis Blues 25/1
New Jersey Devils 30/1
Carolina Hurricanes 40/1
Ottawa Senators 40/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 40/1
New York Islanders 50/1
Washington Capitals 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 60/1
Dallas Stars 60/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 60/1
Nashville Predators 60/1
Edmonton Oilers 60/1 (for like 5 bucks - they might make it in, and then you never know)
Philadelphia Flyers 75/1
Buffalo Sabres 75/1
Phoenix Coyotes 100/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 200/1 (same as the Oilers, but way better value!)
Calgary Flames 500/1
Colorado Avalanche 500/1
Florida Panthers 500/1

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
We won the Presidents trophy last year and went out in 5 games. This year we have the worst powerplay in the league and it looks like it could be the worst in franchise history. The Sedins are probably playing the worst hockey of their careers, Edler is awful, Kesler had two surgeries and a broken foot to come back from, Booth was useless when he was healthy, and Ballard has probably been one of our more solid D-men. If betting against that is not a wise idea I really have to question what the bet is.

Also Hamhuis has probably been the worst player on the team... aside from Ebbett.

Seriously Hamhuis has 7 more give-aways than Edler for the team lead @ 26...

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
The real question I'd like to know is where do people think we would have been with a healthy Ryan Kesler for the entire season so far?

If you believe that once the post season begins it's a whole new ballgame then I don't think you can look at the way this team is playing right now and be able to accurately assess how they will do in the playoffs.

You could argue that Kesler is the most valuable player on the team and without him this team just isn't the same. If he can come back and play even close to what he is capable of then he's going to be a lot better then Ebbett and Roy should be a significant upgrade on Schroeder.

If we can just stay healthy enough in the playoffs I think this team has good of a chance to win as any other team in the West.

The talent IS there. Just compare this roster to the rest of the teams in the West and tell me which team is significantly better than the Canucks? IMO Chicago has better top end talent but we play them tight and with luck and injuries factoring in you never know.

StringerBell

Looks about right, I had us at 5% before Roy, so 7% after.

This is from before the trade, but you also have to remember that Vegas's odds will add up to ~150% not 100%. They probably had us around 4-5% before and it'll be 5-6% tomorrow.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
We really need Edler to find his game. Until that time comes, I see a similar fate to last year.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Cup champs obviously... Luongo wins the Conn Smyth

I'm not actually that optimistic, I just want to be able to say 'I told you so' if the improbable comes true. :laugh:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The real question I'd like to know is where do people think we would have been with a healthy Ryan Kesler for the entire season so far?

If you believe that once the post season begins it's a whole new ballgame then I don't think you can look at the way this team is playing right now and be able to accurately assess how they will do in the playoffs.

You could argue that Kesler is the most valuable player on the team and without him this team just isn't the same. If he can come back and play even close to what he is capable of then he's going to be a lot better then Ebbett and Roy should be a significant upgrade on Schroeder.

If we can just stay healthy enough in the playoffs I think this team has good of a chance to win as any other team in the West.

The talent IS there. Just compare this roster to the rest of the teams in the West and tell me which team is significantly better than the Canucks? IMO Chicago has better top end talent but we play them tight and with luck and injuries factoring in you never know.

We're far better at centre than Chicago. They have no 2C and we've got two in Kesler and Roy. However, they're far stronger on the wing than we are - Kane/Hossa/Sharp versus D. Sedin/Burrows/Booth.

Very glad they didn't pick up Ribeiro, because that would have bumped Bolland to his natural 3C position and they would have been able to roll with Toews/Ribeiro/Bolland/Handzus. That would have been an unreal centre punch to complement their strength on the wing.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I stand with the 36%

edit: I'll add some colour to my post. LA is the only team I worry about in the west. Their big bodies are tough to handle. Pittsburgh or Boston in the east would be tough outs. Those are the only 3 teams I believe can beat us if we're healthy. But luck and health and age will conspire against us. If we reach the final I'd view it as a tremendous achievement. A cup would be legendary, and would represent the cap on a spectacular three-year run that's rarely been seen in the modern NHL.

Last edited:

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Looking like a 2nd round exit tbh. We'll toil to get past the Wild, then we'll get embarrassed by either the Hawks or the Kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->