Where do the Jackets finish in the Metro Division?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Those lines predict that the Metro will end up as follows:
Pittsburgh -1100
NYR -800
Washington -280
Philadelphia -175
NYI -140
Carolina +220
CBJ +250
NJD +275

"Because, y'know, it's Columbus. And Columbus always sucks. I mean, they're Columbus."

I'm actually not a gambler so I want clarification on what this means. Does it mean you lay 1100 down on the Pens and get 1200 back if they make it? 175 down on the Flyers and 275 if they make it? Or 100 down on the Jackets and get 250 if they make it in?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm actually not a gambler so I want clarification on what this means. Does it mean you lay 1100 down on the Pens and get 1200 back if they make it? 175 down on the Flyers and 275 if they make it? Or 100 down on the Jackets and get 250 if they make it in?

For minus signs: Lay x amount down, earn 100 dollars in winnings
For plus signs: Lay 100 Dollars down, earn x amount in winnings.

So if you put 100 dollars down on both the Penguins and the Blue Jackets, you would get 109.09 if the Penguins made the playoffs (100 dollar bet plus 9.09 [100/1100] in winnings) while for the Blue Jackets, you would earn 350 (100 dollar bet plus 250 in winnings)

While I don't really gamble, that's not a bad line for the Jackets.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
For minus signs: Lay x amount down, earn 100 dollars in winnings
For plus signs: Lay 100 Dollars down, earn x amount in winnings.

So if you put 100 dollars down on both the Penguins and the Blue Jackets, you would get 109.09 if the Penguins made the playoffs (100 dollar bet plus 9.09 [100/1100] in winnings) while for the Blue Jackets, you would earn 350 (100 dollar bet plus 250 in winnings)

While I don't really gamble, that's not a bad line for the Jackets.

Not bad indeed.

I think the Metro is much squatter than the oddsmakers do. I'd put the odds like this:

Pittsburgh -1300
NYR -400
NYI -140
Philadelphia -115
CBJ +125
Washington +135
Carolina +220
NJD +275

(Unless I'm doing the math wrong, I have the Flyers and Jackets very close. You can't offer a line in between -100 and +100, right?)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not bad indeed.

I think the Metro is much squatter than the oddsmakers do. I'd put the odds like this:

Pittsburgh -1300
NYR -400
NYI -140
Philadelphia -115
CBJ +125
Washington +135
Carolina +220
NJD +275

(Unless I'm doing the math wrong, I have the Flyers and Jackets very close. You can't offer a line in between -100 and +100, right?)

I think you could but most of the money odds are in the range you quoted. About the only money odds you would never see is bet +100,-100 because the house would never make money.

Here's an interesting discussion of the topic

http://sportsgambling.about.com/od/sportsgambling101/a/intromoneylines.htm

If you want an interesting read check out this book if it is still available.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2936424-the-national-football-lottery

Last edited:

thebus2288*

Well I ended up throwing a little money down for the 1st time last year for them to make the POs because of how good the 'true' odds compared to payout seemed to be. It made missing by 1pt much worse, along with my hatred for the war room. It seems the odds of winning are the same if not better this year. If your confident with this team you should look at what you could get if they win the conference.

The line for PIT I don't understand. It seems pointless to me. Do they do it on purpose so people just don't bet on them? If you have that much money to bet the money you would get back just seems like nothing. What's even worse is the NYR odds considering they barely made it last year. Actually, betting against them seems like a real smart move.

Kutter

Jan 27, 2008
Dublin
It's going to be fun watching this play out this year. I agree with a lot of the comments, especially the one about the Jackets not digging themselves an early season hole this time around.

A few of the Keys to the Season for me are:

1. Johansen raising his game. He has shown flashes that warrant the high first round position he was drafted in, but needs to develop more consistency. He didn't respond well being sent to Springfield at the end of the season, but leaving his girlfriend behind in Columbus may have had something to do with it. I think playing with a healthy Atkinson and Calvert could be the boost he needs. Atkinson and Calvert really came on late in the season and I expect them to start the season strong. If the can have consistent chemistry with Johansen, this may become on of our most dangerous lines.

2. Bob. Don't need to say much here, but he will need to be strong. Whether or not he is as dominant as last year remains to be seen, but I don't think this is going to be another Mason scenario where the bottom falls out. Bob's work ethic is second to none and he also is going to be motivated to get the starting job for Team Russia in Sochi.

3. The "D". Our defense was strong down the stretch last year. The forwards helping out was obviously key too, but the D did a great job keeping the shots coming from the outside and battling hard in front when the puck was loose. Aucoin was solid for us despite getting on in age, but his departure opens up a spot of one of the young guns who can likely add a little more offensively to what Aucoin had to offer. Wiz to me is the wild card. His injury history has been problematic and when he returned last year it took him a while to return to form. A healthy Wiz could be a big asset, but this is not a bet I'd be will to take.

4. Gaborik. He needs to start the season strong and will be motivated to do so. Nothing like a contract year to give a player that extra spark. With Horton on the sidelines likely until Christmas or later, Gaborik will need to provide the offensive prowess that was missing from the team much of last year. I see him being paired with Anisimov early in the year. We saw glimpses of Anisimov's offensive upside last year and Gaborik may help him further develop this part of his game.

5. Intangibles. This biggest intangible on this team is the heart and soul guys. Dubinsky, Johnson, Wiz, and Foligno all seem to provide this in spades. It is ths ferocious will to win that propelled them to their finish last year and hopefully will resurface again this year. Umberger has shown this in the past but the two year slump seems to have silenced him somewhat. Perhaps a few early goals will bring this back.

6. Remember the lessons learned in the West. Rather than adapt to the play in the East, the Jackets need to bring the type of play that led to the winning streak in the West to the East. Tough, grinding, hard to play against hockey is what is going to be needed night in and night out. No easy wins for their opponents, especially within the division. This is what will win games and make them successful in the long run.

It's not going to be easy but this team can be successful. It's going to take the same high level of commitment we saw last year though. Things won't be easy but it's going to be one one heck of a ride.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's going to be fun watching this play out this year. I agree with a lot of the comments, especially the one about the Jackets not digging themselves an early season hole this time around.

A few of the Keys to the Season for me are:

1. Johansen raising his game. He has shown flashes that warrant the high first round position he was drafted in, but needs to develop more consistency. He didn't respond well being sent to Springfield at the end of the season, but leaving his girlfriend behind in Columbus may have had something to do with it. I think playing with a healthy Atkinson and Calvert could be the boost he needs. Atkinson and Calvert really came on late in the season and I expect them to start the season strong. If the can have consistent chemistry with Johansen, this may become on of our most dangerous lines.

2. Bob. Don't need to say much here, but he will need to be strong. Whether or not he is as dominant as last year remains to be seen, but I don't think this is going to be another Mason scenario where the bottom falls out. Bob's work ethic is second to none and he also is going to be motivated to get the starting job for Team Russia in Sochi.

3. The "D". Our defense was strong down the stretch last year. The forwards helping out was obviously key too, but the D did a great job keeping the shots coming from the outside and battling hard in front when the puck was loose. Aucoin was solid for us despite getting on in age, but his departure opens up a spot of one of the young guns who can likely add a little more offensively to what Aucoin had to offer. Wiz to me is the wild card. His injury history has been problematic and when he returned last year it took him a while to return to form. A healthy Wiz could be a big asset, but this is not a bet I'd be will to take.

4. Gaborik. He needs to start the season strong and will be motivated to do so. Nothing like a contract year to give a player that extra spark. With Horton on the sidelines likely until Christmas or later, Gaborik will need to provide the offensive prowess that was missing from the team much of last year. I see him being paired with Anisimov early in the year. We saw glimpses of Anisimov's offensive upside last year and Gaborik may help him further develop this part of his game.

5. Intangibles. This biggest intangible on this team is the heart and soul guys. Dubinsky, Johnson, Wiz, and Foligno all seem to provide this in spades. It is ths ferocious will to win that propelled them to their finish last year and hopefully will resurface again this year. Umberger has shown this in the past but the two year slump seems to have silenced him somewhat. Perhaps a few early goals will bring this back.

6. Remember the lessons learned in the West. Rather than adapt to the play in the East, the Jackets need to bring the type of play that led to the winning streak in the West to the East. Tough, grinding, hard to play against hockey is what is going to be needed night in and night out. No easy wins for their opponents, especially within the division. This is what will win games and make them successful in the long run.

It's not going to be easy but this team can be successful. It's going to take the same high level of commitment we saw last year though. Things won't be easy but it's going to be one one heck of a ride.

Excellent post, only thing I would touch on more are injuries. If we get any of our top 4 down or our top 6 for an extended period of time we will definitely be testing our depth. Jenner will most definitely get his test this season, as will Murray/Savard/Golo/Prout/Melart. So our young prospects need to be able to live up to the hype this far if we want to be successful. Injuries could easily cripple us this season.

Kutter

Jan 27, 2008
Dublin
Excellent post, only thing I would touch on more are injuries. If we get any of our top 4 down or our top 6 for an extended period of time we will definitely be testing our depth. Jenner will most definitely get his test this season, as will Murray/Savard/Golo/Prout/Melart. So our young prospects need to be able to live up to the hype this far if we want to be successful. Injuries could easily cripple us this season.

Agree, injuries are a critical factor. That being said we do have some organizational depth that will help mitigate the inevitable injuries when they hit.

One defense, the CBJ have the most depth. Last season the young D men cycled into the lineup nicely and the team did not really miss a step. While some players disappointed such as Savard, others surprised with their excellent play. Prout was clearly the biggest surprise as he vaulted up the depth charts, but Erixson also surprised some. This same core will be back this year with the added benefit of the experience gained last year. Aucoin is not back, but Ryan Murray should provide an overall net gain in the exchange. Erixson will have had another off season to get stronger and hopefully Savard took JD's comments to heart and really committed himself this offseason.

At forward, we don't have a lot of scoring depth, so an injury to Gaborik or Atkinson could be costly, especially if it happens before the return of Horton. However we have depth at center and will be able to cycle in and shift around some players when injuries hit.

At goal is where things are thinnest. If Bob goes down for an extended period it could be devastating with the lack of NHL experience on the roster.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Pitkanen's done for the year. Carolina's weak defence just lost their #1. I don't think any of us had them ahead to begin with.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pitkanen's done for the year. Carolina's weak defence just lost their #1. I don't think any of us had them ahead to begin with.
Last I checked #1D duties over there had been taken over by Faulk. And they still have Sekera (getting criminally underrated) and Gleason. But yeah, it's still a pretty nasty loss for them.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
+250 for the Jackets to make the playoffs? What? That's clearly the best value on the board. They were within one game of making it last season! And now they are in an easier conference.

Going to Vegas in two weeks (before season starts) and I am for sure putting money on CBJ. Way too much value there. I have a feeling that number is going to be below 200 when I do actually arrive, though.

May put money on Rangers not making it as well just because I don't think they are anywhere near a lock.

Looking at CBJ finishing 3-5 in division - making the playoffs.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
One thing to keep in mind scoring, our forwards will have a lot more room than they did last season with a lot of teams. We saw what that did with Brassard after he went to the Rangers.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The defense, though still in need of improvement, is not as bad as it looks on paper and could even get a boost this season by Ryan Murray, if the 2012 second overall selection makes the team.

Yeah, I think most outsiders view the CBJ as being Bobrovsky and a slew of scrappy players, low on talent. I'm biased, but I'm not sure who has a better defense in this division. I know I like our 3rd pairing over most in the league.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, I think most outsiders view the CBJ as being Bobrovsky and a slew of scrappy players, low on talent. I'm biased, but I'm not sure who has a better defense in this division. I know I like our 3rd pairing over most in the league.

I'd rank the Rangers top 6 slightly better than ours based on history. Of course they played Torts' system and have Lunqvist in goal so they get the same kind of boost our guys got last year.

It will be interesting to watch those two units over the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad