Where do the Jackets finish in the Metro Division?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
This one is tough. I have no idea what'll happen this season. Is the East much weaker than the West, which is what I believe now? Is the division as tough as it seems with all that star power?

I went with 5th (with crossover playoff spot).

I see 2 locks. Pittsburgh is going to cruise through the RS like they always do. And the Rangers are just a really talented team that'll make it, barring a catastrophic injury to Lundqvist.

After that, I see 3 should be playoff teams. Washington has had a few seasons of crappy starts while finishing hot and clinching the division. But how much of that was due to playing in the crappiest division in sports? Philly is another really talented team but they haven't done enough to address the defensive problems from last year and as Blue Jackets fans, we know full well just how badly counting on Mason to play well can work out. The Isles had a great year last season, but was it a young team taking a huge step forward or was it a fluke?

After that, I see Carolina. A talented team that has been screwed by their number 1 goalie getting injured the last 2 seasons now. At this point, I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on Cam Ward to give you a full season.

Than, New Jersey. They won't be record-setting bad given their goaltending but I don't see a below average team who lost their franchise player for nothing showing much improvement.

I see the Jackets in that 2nd tier of teams.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This one is tough. I have no idea what'll happen this season. Is the East much weaker than the West, which is what I believe now? Is the division as tough as it seems with all that star power?

I went with 5th (with crossover playoff spot).

I see 2 locks. Pittsburgh is going to cruise through the RS like they always do. And the Rangers are just a really talented team that'll make it, barring a catastrophic injury to Lundqvist.

After that, I see 3 should be playoff teams. Washington has had a few seasons of crappy starts while finishing hot and clinching the division. But how much of that was due to playing in the crappiest division in sports? Philly is another really talented team but they haven't done enough to address the defensive problems from last year and as Blue Jackets fans, we know full well just how badly counting on Mason to play well can work out. The Isles had a great year last season, but was it a young team taking a huge step forward or was it a fluke?

After that, I see Carolina. A talented team that has been screwed by their number 1 goalie getting injured the last 2 seasons now. At this point, I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on Cam Ward to give you a full season.

Than, New Jersey. They won't be record-setting bad given their goaltending but I don't see a below average team who lost their franchise player for nothing showing much improvement.

I see the Jackets in that 2nd tier of teams.

Well put, and that's about where I put us as well. Although I think a bit higher of Carolina because they upgraded their blueline.

Out of sheer homeristic principle I went with 3rd, but really it could be anywhere from 2nd to 7th - and 1st or 8th aren't completely out of the question either (although things would have to go really well or really wrong respectively).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I find myself in agreement with folks I normally don't - anywhere from 2-7th, with 7th a slim possibility. Barring any abnormal stuff I'll say 4th with a Blue Jacket pessimistic no playoffs.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I went with third, behind Pittsburgh and...? one of the NY teams.

I'm not sold on the Rangers, but AV may be just the thing for them. They're sticking with Richards and while I don't think a turnaround is out of the question for him, the magnitude of the turnaround will have to be big given his play last year. I'm very interested to see Brassard for a full regular season.

I see Philly giving up too many goals. New Jersey will probably be competitive just because. Washington seems too thin (though nice pickup with their #2 center), Carolina though seems legit. I don't think the Islanders were a fluke.

I see the Jackets right there with Carolina and NYI, and the homer in me says they're better than those two for being more balanced. Especially once Horton plays.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
Too many uncertainties in my opinion. I still see scoring as a problem. I can't see Bobrovsky continuing to play at the same level. And I think there is a problem with depth and a reliance on players not yet ready to be on ice for contenders. I also think this division is going to be very difficult. I see the CBJ outside of the playoffs.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm waivering between second and third (behind Pittsburgh and possibly Washington). My projected (read: guess) order for the division shakes out like this:
1. Pittsburgh
2. Columbus
3. Washington
4. New York Rangers
5. Carolina
6. New York Islanders
7. Philadelphia
8. New Jersey

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Personally I just don't see a team outside of Pittsburgh that I think is better than us. Once this team jelled they were unstoppable, the record speaks for itself. Washington definitely isn't better than us, New York is close, but I still like our core over theirs, especially on defense.
Pitt
Columbus
NYR
Carolina
NYI
Washington
New Jersey
Philadelphia

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm going to go with

Pitt
NYR
Columbus
NYI
Carolina
Philly
Washington
New Jersey

but it's very hard to say. I'll be a bit surprised if NJ ends up last but I don't really know how else to project this division.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Personally I just don't see a team outside of Pittsburgh that I think is better than us. Once this team jelled they were unstoppable, the record speaks for itself. Washington definitely isn't better than us, New York is close, but I still like our core over theirs, especially on defense.
Pitt
Columbus
NYR
Carolina
NYI
Washington
New Jersey
Philadelphia

Problem is that the flip of that is there isn't a team that is clearly worse than us. For every vote for Philly or NJ as worse there is a counter argument that says hey what about-Brodeur/Schneider,Philly's talented forward core, etc.

I think it will come down to injuries, who gets hot,who slumps, etc.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
1. Pitt (no-brainer)
2. NYR (unless King Henrik gets injured they should be here)
3. Philly (tons of injuries + no bryz, very similar team from 2011-2012, should finish 3rd)
4. Washington (should have a rough start in a tougher division that southeast but, will turn it around)
5. Columbus (Bob will need to play very well again, but, I don't know if he will)
6. Islanders (very few injuries last year to important players, average goaltending=no playoffs on the isle)
7. Carolina (it is just not all there)
8. New Jersey (maybe if they had Kovalchuk they could fight for 7th.)

Again a lot of this will depend on injuries, I think the Jackets and Isles could easily flip if Bob does not play well. And I think 5 teams will come out of this division for the playoffs.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
1. Pitt (no-brainer)
2. NYR (unless King Henrik gets injured they should be here)
3. Philly (tons of injuries + no bryz, very similar team from 2011-2012, should finish 3rd)
4. Washington (should have a rough start in a tougher division that southeast but, will turn it around)
5. Columbus (Bob will need to play very well again, but, I don't know if he will)
6. Islanders (very few injuries last year to important players, average goaltending=no playoffs on the isle)
7. Carolina (it is just not all there)
8. New Jersey (maybe if they had Kovalchuk they could fight for 7th.)

Again a lot of this will depend on injuries, I think the Jackets and Isles could easily flip if Bob does not play well. And I think 5 teams will come out of this division for the playoffs.

There are so many variables it's crazy. Philly still has average at best D and is probably going to give up a large number of chances per game and have 2 goalies that really have some things to prove. Washington had the benefit of a terrible division last year and lost a fair amount of offense in Ribeiro. Their young guys are all a year older and have some new experiences and Erat should help but will Grabovski be the Grabovski of a couple seasons ago and a consistent 2-way player or more this year where he dropped off a bit.
The Islanders are every bit as good as Columbus, Washington and Philly but again are another team with 1 big area of concern. How many games can Nabokov play at a high level before he gets overworked? Can Poulin or one of the other young guys step up and take some of the load? At the same time they were a playoff team for a reason and on a big upswing so they should never be looked over.
Carolina and New Jersey can even be better then expected and surprise. Ward was one of the better goalies in the league until injuries so if he stays healthy and the fact their D should be better they might be in the running. New Jersey have much better and more consistent goaltending and as everyone knows if a team is comfortable in front of its goalie they'll play better. Yes they lost a premier offensive player but with all they brought in they are a more balanced team and better defensively at the same time. Ryder and Jagr each had 5 more goals then Kovalchuck last year. With big turnover usually there are some growing pains as we saw last year but New Jersey can't be written off
All this is why i feel it's the toughest divison. Yeah others will have a stronger top 2 or 3 teams but this one is probably the hardest to predict and anything can happen top to bottom

Edit: just from a numbers standpoint it's going to be very hard to have to WC im the same division, I don't really see how it would happen.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Even with no Bryz, I'd be biting my nails going into the season with Mason-Emery. Mason has an amazing ability to sabotage a season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Even with no Bryz, I'd be biting my nails going into the season with Mason-Emery. Mason has an amazing ability to sabotage a season.

I'm guessing not too far into the season it will be Emery-Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad