Where do the Jackets finish in the Metro Division?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don''t know about Bob but I like the St Lou 2- They're going to play 85 games.:huh::huh:

Back to Bob - he says 33 wins max 66 pts; hopefully McElhinney can go at least 14-2 in regulation. :help:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
And I hope all you Columbus fans and everyone else hate Philly. It makes the rivalries better and more fun. I love seeing the Flyers fans and pens fans arguing its great, Philly and Pitt have the best rivalry in the NHL by far. ...

I think anybody who has met a Philadelphia sports fan can agree with this sentiment.

Please return your seats to their upright and locked positions, and secure all fingers. Mungo gets hungry this time of year. He's gone a whole summer without chewing on anyone's fingers. Like a deranged bear coming out of hibernation.

http://media.nbcphiladelphia.com/images/654*491/Hartnell+bite.jpg

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Cullen is out with his yearly projections, and Gaborik and Dubinsky are the only players who produce at a top-6 rate. With Bob's GAA going way up as well, he basically expects us to be awful.

I think he underestimates Atkinson and Anisimov, but the rest of our forwards I can't say he's wrong.
If Dubinsky continues where he left off last year, he'll have a lot more than 29 points next season. **** he had 21 pts in 28 games last year. I could see one of Atkinson/Calvert/Johansen having a breakout year while the other 2 try to keep up. Really just depends on how the lineup looks, and if Jenner makes the squad. Same could be said on the blue line, we will see a lot more offense produced if Murray and Erixon are playing compared to Prout/Goloubef/Savard/Melart.

All I know is I'm tired of speculation, I just wanna watch some damn hockey!

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I believe this team is better than most of the people in the East think. I picked 4th with playoffs, thinking:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Rangers
3. Islanders
4. Jackets

Like many others I do see a pack below Pittsburgh fighting for 2-7.
I think either Philly or New Jersey isn't able to stay with the pack.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
If NYI finish above us I'd fill a bag up with my own **** and stream myself eating it. That team has no chance at being better than we are.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If NYI finish above us I'd fill a bag up with my own **** and stream myself eating it. That team has no chance at being better than we are.

The Isles are way faster than us and harder hitting. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us, they outskated the Penguins last year and are aging into their primes, which should make up for the loss of Streit.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Key to the season will be the ability to be competitive early on. If we can be in the race when Horton gets back that will be a large boost to us.
However I'm guessing since expectations are high that we will struggle to score enough goals early on. We'll dig a large hole, then in typical Jackets fashion - play like one of the best teams in the league, only to finish up just outside of the playoffs.

I hope I'm wrong. I do feel much better about this team long-term. Hopefully one/two of young forwards can step up early.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here

let me know the stream url when it happens so that I can record it and set it to music.

Dunno, maybe it's just the Ohio sports fan in me, but too many things are lining up in the "Should be a good season" category, that I'm starting to feel that I'll be disappointed.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
The keys to the season seem to me to be:

Avoiding major injuries- every team loses players to injury. The Jackets can't afford to be one of those teams that loses 5 of their top 6 defensemen like the Flyers did last season, or 3-4 forwards at a time.

Horton needs to return and become productive.
Prout needs to recover from surgery and return to last year's form.

And of course- BOB.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
And of course- BOB.

That's pretty much the entire key to the season. Expecting him to play an 82 game season at the level he played at last season is unrealistic, but if he doesn't play 90-95% as well as he did last season, this team playoff chances are likely DOA.

The only other "100% has to happen" key would be Richards getting the same level of effort as he got last season. This still isn't a very talented club, even with the improvements.

Some other (lesser) keys. I'd say anywhere from 4-5 of these have to occur for the playoffs to happen:
-Repeat performances from Tyutin/Prout,
-Nikitin returning to 2011-12 form or one of Murray/Savard/Goloubef having a breakout season.
-One of Horton or Gaborik being a 70P player
-Dubinsky/Foligno having more even offensive seasons. (As awesome as he was when he went into god mode the final quarter of last season, Dubinsky didn't have a great start here)
-Atkinson having a breakout season
-Either Umberger returning to pre-2011 form or Letestu having a similar season as last year.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
-Dubinsky/Foligno having more even offensive seasons. (As awesome as he was when he went into god mode the final quarter of last season, Dubinsky didn't have a great start here)

He had a poor January, but the rest was due to injury, imo. Take out January, and Dubi put up 17 points in 21 games. That's more than a quarter of the season that he played well.

I think you guys will be fine with the effort. Horton is used to playing in that kind of system, and you have a TON of character guys. I think you guys are going to have a very good record in close games just because you've got a roster full of guys who want it more.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
That's pretty much the entire key to the season. Expecting him to play an 82 game season at the level he played at last season is unrealistic, but if he doesn't play 90-95% as well as he did last season, this team playoff chances are likely DOA.

The only other "100% has to happen" key would be Richards getting the same level of effort as he got last season. This still isn't a very talented club, even with the improvements. Definitely

Some other (lesser) keys. I'd say anywhere from 4-5 of these have to occur for the playoffs to happen:

-Repeat performances from Tyutin/Prout, I agree

-Nikitin returning to 2011-12 form or one of Murray/Savard/Goloubef having a breakout season. Add Erixon?

-One of Horton or Gaborik being a 70P player Don't see this one as necessary although it would be a tremendous lift. Plus best we can hope for from Horton is a 60 pt pace due to his rehab. He has only been on pace for 70 once.

-Dubinsky/Foligno having more even offensive seasons. (As awesome as he was when he went into god mode the final quarter of last season, Dubinsky didn't have a great start here) I think Dubi will deliver not so sure about Foligno

-Atkinson having a breakout season Agree

-Either Umberger returning to pre-2011 form or Letestu having a similar season as last year. I think Letestu willl deliver and HOPE Umbie steps it up

Good list. I'd add

McElhinney averages at least a point per start.

And while not necessary, Joey finally delivers on some of his potential

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Good list. I'd add

McElhinney averages at least a point per start.

And while not necessary, Joey finally delivers on some of his potential

Definitely forgot Erixon. Actually think he's the most likely to break out offensively of the ones listed.

Johansen probably should have been added as well. Sadly, his career is starting to follow the Brassard/Voracek path (always leaving you expecting more, then naturally delivering more the minute he's traded) but a 50 point season out of him would be pretty neat.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I definitely think we'll finish 2nd or 3rd. I think we go neck and neck with NYR all season and create the rivalry this year. Philly will be right on our tail. But wow do the flyers fans have some high expectations for Mason..

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I went 4th with playoffs... There are many good teams in the Metro that will be hard to beat but I think the Jackets will make the playoffs one way or another...

I think the Jackets may surprise this season... but it's hard to predict.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Hey guys,

I think you make it this year from a 4th-5th. While the division is filled with wild cards, I think the Jackets need offense (specifically, the top line) a bit stronger to capitalize on defensive flaws of most teams.
That said, I can't see you finishing below the Canes and the Devils, especially if Bobrovsky remains at least near the last year's level (for which I selfishly hope, as well as for Anisimov's big year).

Good luck over the season, should be fun.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Those lines predict that the Metro will end up as follows:
Pittsburgh -1100
NYR -800
Washington -280
Philadelphia -175
NYI -140
Carolina +220
CBJ +250
NJD +275

"Because, y'know, it's Columbus. And Columbus always sucks. I mean, they're Columbus."

Based on several years of past data that ranking does have merit but all of the teams listed above Columbus with the exception of Pittsburgh (imo) showed areas of weakness last season that could provide the Jackets an opportunity to advance.. As always the teams with the best goal tending will rank higher.

The Jackets must play at the level they did during the second half of last season, or at least close to that; Bobrovsky, relentless checking and the speed of our youth will be key.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Based on several years of past data that ranking does have merit but all of the teams listed above Columbus with the exception of Pittsburgh (imo) showed areas of weakness last season that could provide the Jackets an opportunity to advance.. As always the teams with the best goal tending will rank higher.

The Jackets must play at the level they did during the second half of last season, or at least close to that; Bobrovsky, relentless checking and the speed of our youth will be key.

From a gambler's perspective (I'm not one but have dabbled recreationally;) ) I think the Jackets are one of the, if not the, best bets up there. Seems silly to risk 1100 to win 100 on the Pens but that is probably a safe bet unless Crosby and Malkin go down for long periods. Dumbest bet to me are the Rangers to get in at 800 to win 100.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
From a gambler's perspective (I'm not one but have dabbled recreationally;) ) I think the Jackets are one of the, if not the, best bets up there. Seems silly to risk 1100 to win 100 on the Pens but that is probably a safe bet unless Crosby and Malkin go down for long periods. Dumbest bet to me are the Rangers to get in at 800 to win 100.

I agree. And keep in mind that betting lines are not the same as predictions. The reason NYR has such better odds than we do is partly due to the size of the fanbase. There's money to be made betting against the Rangers, Leafs, etc... and betting for the Jackets. I don't think we'll finish ahead of the Rangers, but the odds are much better than the betting line would suggest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad