When will they retire Jagr's number?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
He demanded a trade from a team on the verge of bankruptcy. Plenty of players have demanded a trade throughout sports history. It doesn't overshadow his on ice accomplishments.

If Mario and Jagr squashed their beef then why would you care about it?

Will see if Mario does it. If Mario wants to then fine but doesn't mean I have to forgive him. Why do you care if I want to hold a grudge? I am just giving my opinion of my feelings on the issue. If it was up to me I would not retire his number. Since it is not up to me why do you care that I have a different view than you?

I believe retiring a jersey should only be done for the greatest players that played with one team their whole career unless they leave late to chase a Cup like Ray Bourque. He wasn't dying alive when he left his team. Boston fans we're all happy for him. Jagr has no love for Pittsburgh. Mario, Crosby, and Malkin do. All 4 are HOF players but 3 are Penguins for life and Jagr is a rental bitch to half the league including our most hated rivals. He can go F off.

I look at Jagr like Barry Bonds. Bonds was one of the greatest players of all time but he is an ass of a person and no loyalty at all to the Pirates. The honor of your team retiring a jersey should mean more than you are just a great player. Granted I could care less of loyalty to the Pirates now because they have no player loyalty. Pens do have player loyalty to the core and that is why Mario won't let Crosby, Malkin, and Letang be traded. I love that about him. You want loyal core players than you need to be that type of owner.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Are you gonna be mad when they do?

No, because that is Mario's choice. I won't be mad but it won't change my opinion of Jagr. It wasn't just leaving the first time but when he came back to the league he still never wanted back. I wasn't one of the fans booing him each game like most of the season ticket holders but I also think he is not the player that I would retire his jersey either. If Mario does it then I am fine with it. One of the top 10 players ever but he is not a loyal Penguin like our other 3 greatest ever Pens.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
No, because that is Mario's choice. I won't be mad but it won't change my opinion of Jagr. It wasn't just leaving the first time but when he came back to the league he still never wanted back.

We have a new GM so Jagr watch 3.0 for the lulz. He's starting to look like Braveheart which is a good feature, looks intimidating out there.

[Media]

Last edited:
Reactions: Dessloch

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
I can’t believe that are people who still think Jagr cares enough about anything to do with Pittsburgh.

I can’t believe anyone out there believes Jagr does not care anything about the Penguins.

So Jaromir Jagr has constantly praised the Penguins/Lemieux/ his former teammates for the last 25+ years, thanking Pittsburgh and Lemieux for making him the player he is today - and you come to the conclusion that the he does not care anything about the Pittsburgh Penguins? That does not make sense whatsoever and is simply your opinion which goes against documented facts.

You should read the piece one Jagr from the athletic:

Finding Jagr: On Phil Bourque’s quest to connect with his teammate, and what it means for his future with the Penguins

"At one point, Jagr asked about Mike Lange, the legendary voice of Penguins hockey and Bourque’s longtime broadcast partner. Bourque shared that Lange had been ill last summer. Unprompted, Jagr asked if he could send a message to Lange through Bourque. Worried he might forget the exact words, Bourque pulled out his cell phone. Jagr laughed, said “right” and then he recorded this video."

Last edited:

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Just looking at Jagr's profile on eliteprospects.

I have zero recollection of him playing for New Jersey. None.

Refresh you recollection :) Jagr got point 1700, goal 700, also beat Gordie Hows GWG record playing for New Jersey and also passed Lemieux on the all time point list (which Jagr himself noted that it took Lemieux 300-400 games less games to reach that point total)

Last edited:

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
According to Craig Patrick, the league told them what they could 'get' for Jagr (Kovalev, Straka etc.) since they technically owned the team. So even if he never makes a 'dying alive' comment he's moving anyway

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’ve personally buried the hatchet with Jagr since watching the Pittsburgh documentary. As best as any of us can tell the Penguins and Mario have also. But I don’t know if they ever will or should. Jagr played for what 7 teams? I think that should be an honor for a player with one team. If they did I would not complain at all. Just raising the fact that he played for so many teams maybe it’s not banner worthy.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I don't think they should retire it. We can acknowledge Jagr's amazing career without giving him the special honor that retiring a number represents. It's about more than accomplishments, points, numbers, or longevity. It's about what that player meant to the organization and how they affected it. There was too much drama and too much acrimony, not just with the way he left but the years before and the years after, going to the Flyers after Mario seemed to want him to come back. He was a great player and a selfish, greedy person. The other numbers that are there already and those that will be retired in short order (Crosby and Malkin for sure, maybe Letang) were not that, and the way they carried themselves and what they meant while they were here burnishes their legacies just as much as what they did on the ice. So yeah, we can honor and celebrate Jagr's accomplishments but his number doesn't belong in the rafters.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
We have a new GM so Jagr watch 3.0 for the lulz. He's starting to look like Braveheart which is a good feature, looks intimidating out there.

[Media]

Call him 'up. Malkin needs a winger ;). I don't think he could be any worst than the folks on our 4th line.

As far as retiring his number, I agree with the sentiment that Jagr has to have some sort of commitment to the team (aka showing up to important events). If he's not on board with doing that, I don't see it happening.

Reactions: Hungamania

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
1000 squats per day since 7 years of age. What a core, what an ass, what a mullet, what a player!

I dont care about any of the bad stuff - he was the second most talented Penguins player I ever saw.
I will probably cry when that jersey goes up to the rafters eventually. So will JJ.... and then he will go get a 20 year old Pro and/or max out his credit card on one bet on black.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think it's a matter of if, I understand there's some feelings between Jagr and the Penguins but he's still arguably the third best player to ever play for the Penguins, some may argue the second.

The whole "dying alive" thing it was understandable that fans would be upset, but I never understood the reasoning behind hating him even more after he signed with Philadelphia. I understand the rivalry, but Jagr basically said the Penguins were planning on using him in a third line role alongside Staal and Philadelphia was just a better opportunity. If you want to blame anyone, blame the coaching staff at the time for not thinking more highly of him.
Jagr doesn't need his number retired he'll always be considered an all time great player .
It's been almost 20 years since Jagr had any connection / relationship with the Pittsburgh Penguins .
There's no reason for Jagr to accept an offer from Penguins ownership to retire his # 68.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Jagr doesn't need his number retired he'll always be considered an all time great player .
It's been almost 20 years since Jagr had any connection / relationship with the Pittsburgh Penguins .
There's no reason for Jagr to accept an offer from Penguins ownership to retire his # 68.

Not sure we asked for outsiders 2 cents.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

I agree his number doesnt need to be retired. But if he DECLINED the offer, damn yo...that would be five insults to the team and city too many.

Reactions: Hungamania

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad