When will they retire Jagr's number?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here's my compromise....,

Put up a statue somewhere because I feel he's earn that, but you'll never convince me he's earned his 68 up in the rafters when his tenure with the Pens is only 1/3 his career.

Please.... Don't ever say Jagr saved the team. If he did, there's no reason for Mario to come back.

Keep the Jersey hanging to those who bleed their entire careers here. There's no need to flood the ceiling with guys who didn't. Unfortunately Fleury would have to be left off.

To extend on the statue bit: The sidewalk across the street where the Igloo once stood is a perfect place to erect statues of all the old greats from the past. Guys Like Jagr, Kehoe, Pronovost, Stackhouse, Carlyle, Barrasso, Larouche and more. Lined up along both Center Ave. and Washington place. I'd keep the PPG arena side to people who helped that arena. That's Mario, obviously, Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fleury, and if Murray has a long tenure here, him as well. Plus a likeness of the Igloo across the street.

They also could have made the igloo into a museum to the heritage of music and hockey in Pittsburgh, or have a mirror of the building created in it's honor since it's torn down. A pittsburgh music/hockey museum. The money it would create for the city with the added tourism would be huge considering it would be targeting two things everyone loves. Pittsburgh just is not the same without that dome.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Put up a statue somewhere because I feel he's earn that, but you'll never convince me he's earned his 68 up in the rafters when his tenure with the Pens is only 1/3 his career.

Please.... Don't ever say Jagr saved the team. If he did, there's no reason for Mario to come back.

Keep the Jersey hanging to those who bleed their entire careers here. There's no need to flood the ceiling with guys who didn't. Unfortunately Fleury would have to be left off.

To extend on the statue bit: The sidewalk across the street where the Igloo once stood is a perfect place to erect statues of all the old greats from the past. Guys Like Jagr, Kehoe, Pronovost, Stackhouse, Carlyle, Barrasso, Larouche and more. Lined up along both Center Ave. and Washington place. I'd keep the PPG arena side to people who helped that arena. That's Mario, obviously, Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fleury, and if Murray has a long tenure here, him as well. Plus a likeness of the Igloo across the street.

They also could have made the igloo into a museum to the heritage of music and hockey in Pittsburgh, or have a mirror of the building created in it's honor since it's torn down. A pittsburgh music/hockey museum. The money it would create for the city with the added tourism would be huge considering it would be targeting two things everyone loves. Pittsburgh just is not the same without that dome.

Ye I’m down.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know I sound like I probably just have a huge bias against the guy but I just don't see the case for Fleury. At all. I'm not even limiting potential inclusion to "must have been a Pen for life" either.

Reactions: EightyOne

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
This team has the correct numbers retired right now and in 20 years only two more should be added. 87 and 71 obviously.

Everybody else can f*** off. Especially Fleury.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm with this.

Although, I don't see Murray being a long term Penguin at all, but the rest, yeah mate.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hopefully they won’t. f*** this primadonna. We have Sid, Geno and Letang to retire first. Arguably MAF before Jags too.

The reason he didn’t sign here is a perfect example why his legacy should be tainted within the org. Always about himself, HIS money and HIS production. That’s why we didn’t do shit without Lemieux even though Jags was easily the best player in the league during those 4-5 years.

Agreed. Screw Jagr.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Jagr can F off. I loved him as a Penguin but he is the player that forced a trade and was dying alive to play for the Pens. If Crosby and Malkin retire as Penguins I would retire both those numbers. In my mind they are the best of their generation and I am including OV. I still am glad we got Malkin instead. All take the generational Center over the winger any day. Malkin in those Cup years was just as good as Crosby. Definitely the most underrated player in a long time and maybe ever.

Jagr is one of the top 10 players all time but the way he left makes me say no to retiring his number.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Well, if Jags had stayed either the team would have actually folded from having to pay his salary, or the franchise would have ended up being the bad guys by trading him because they had to.

Reactions: Hungamania

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Jagr can F off. I loved him as a Penguin but he is the player that forced a trade and was dying alive to play for the Pens. If Crosby and Malkin retire as Penguins I would retire both those numbers. In my mind they are the best of their generation and I am including OV. I still am glad we got Malkin instead. All take the generational Center over the winger any day. Malkin in those Cup years was just as good as Crosby. Definitely the most underrated player in a long time and maybe ever.

Jagr is one of the top 10 players all time but the way he left makes me so no to retiring his number.

So you love him and top 10-yet he can f off.

Are you drunk?

Reactions: steelcityassault

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jagr's talent is undeniable. I was too young to appreciate Mario in his heyday, so as far as my experience goes, I've never seen anyone dominate like Jagr did at his best.

Don't know if you retire his number though. I don't think his departure was all his fault considering the team's financial woes, but still. Didn't exactly leave on great terms.

If you're retiring numbers based on the player's career with the team, individual accolades and gaudy numbers are enough to get Jagr's jersey into the rafters. But I think you've gotta go beyond those merits and take into account team success as well.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
So you love him and top 10-yet he can f off.

Are you drunk?

I loved him as a Penguin. What don't you understand about that. I thank him for the time he was a Penguin because for the vast majority of that time he was a great teammate and player during that time and helped us win 2 Cups and he had 5 scoring titles. But I don't have to be drunk to hate him for the way he left. I could of forgave him if he eventually came back but he stayed a trader in my eyes. I could care a less if his number is retired. He didn't care to be a Penguin so why should we care to honor him.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I loved him as a Penguin. What don't you understand about that. I thank him for the time he was a Penguin because for the vast majority of that time he was a great teammate and player during that time and helped us win 2 Cups and he had 5 scoring titles. But I don't have to be drunk to hate him for the way he left. I could of forgave him if he eventually came back but he stayed a trader in my eyes. I could care a less if his number is retired. He didn't care to be a Penguin so why should we care to honor him.

Retiring numbers is silly outside of very special circumstances.

I am fine if Jagr gets a parking lot section named after him.

Reactions: Gurglesons

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Retiring numbers is silly outside of very special circumstances.

I am fine if Jagr gets a parking lot section named after him.

Crosby is the next number retired. I think Malkin deserves it also if he finishes his career with the Pens. Malkin was just as important and Crosby in those Cups and we don't win without him. Also I still believe he is the second best player of his generation and think he was more help in winning those Cups than if we had OV instead. The 2 Center model is much better. That 2009 Cup Malkin put up those insane numbers with Fedotenko and Talbot. Probably best player in the world at that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad