When will they retire Jagr's number?

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I don't think it's a matter of if, I understand there's some feelings between Jagr and the Penguins but he's still arguably the third best player to ever play for the Penguins, some may argue the second.

The whole "dying alive" thing it was understandable that fans would be upset, but I never understood the reasoning behind hating him even more after he signed with Philadelphia. I understand the rivalry, but Jagr basically said the Penguins were planning on using him in a third line role alongside Staal and Philadelphia was just a better opportunity. If you want to blame anyone, blame the coaching staff at the time for not thinking more highly of him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hopefully they won’t. f*** this primadonna. We have Sid, Geno and Letang to retire first. Arguably MAF before Jags too.

The reason he didn’t sign here is a perfect example why his legacy should be tainted within the org. Always about himself, HIS money and HIS production. That’s why we didn’t do shit without Lemieux even though Jags was easily the best player in the league during those 4-5 years.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Its never happening. Mario wouldn't even let him comeback for a reunion tour. I don't blame Mario either he saved the organization and has every right to make that call.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Jagr is arguably the 2nd best Penguin ever (certainly higher offensive peak than either Sid it Geno). And he's the best winger ever
There no beef with the organization. He's as much of a lock to get his number retired at anyone. I'm guessing within a few years. He's still playing in Czech.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Jagr is arguably the 2nd best Penguin ever (certainly higher offensive peak than either Sid it Geno). And he's the best winger ever
There no beef with the organization. He's as much of a lock to get his number retired at anyone. I'm guessing within a few years. He's still playing in Czech.

Lol. Sid and Geno went to four finals. Jagr went to two and was a legit top six forward in one of them.

Sid, Geno and Letang deserve to have their numbers retired way before Jags.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Mario Lemieux & Ron Burkle have been dying alive to retire his number, hell they would have done it already for less than 1.5m, even.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol. Sid and Geno went to four finals. Jagr went to two and was a legit top six forward in one of them.

Sid, Geno and Letang deserve to have their numbers retired way before Jags.
I would argue Fleury does over Jagr as well.

Sid, Geno, Letang, and Fleury were all big parts of 4 cups with this team. The latter, whether people want to be sour wankers about it or not, he holds the wins record for the team and everything else, he was also huge in his last year with the team in the playoffs and the only reason this team even got to win back 2 back by going through the Capitals that year.

Jagr, he'll have his day, but I think people are looking at his "WHOLE" picture vs what he did as a Penguin, which was nothing short of amazing, but people have to realize what the current guys are doing for this team and what have done for this team for longer than Jagr did.

I would never be choked to see 87, 71, 58, and 29 beside 66 and 21.

Even funnier for me, mates, is that the haters will really hate it when Fleury finishes his career either 2nd for wins by a goalie or 3rd. That will really chap their sour asses.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Yeah...accomplishments on the team?

Great. For sure.

Fan favorite or local cultural hero deserving of a retired number?

f*** no.

I don't even think Geno's should be. Sid a hard maybe.

I think retiring numbers is borderline idiotic.

Just name a luxury suite after em or parking lot out front lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jagr's number will be retired once he's retired. That's what Mario wants and that's what Jagr wants - there was a long Athletic article a while back spelling that out very clearly. And if Mario thinks he meant that much to the team, I'm okay to go with it.

Reactions: Lesky

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's not going to be retired. There's no axe to grind and Mario would certainly like to, but the issue is that Jagr no-shows events, even when they're important. What they're afraid of is they'll set up this big thing, he'll go MIA on the last day and then they'll look like idiots.

This isn't coming from me, someone who was with the Pens said that this was the front office's thinking on the matter. Think it was Tocchet, but not 100% on that. May have been Tom McMillan.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's not going to be retired. There's no axe to grind and Mario would certainly like to, but the issue is that Jagr no-shows events, even when they're important. What they're afraid of is they'll set up this big thing, he'll go MIA on the last day and then they'll look like idiots.

This isn't coming from me, someone who was with the Pens said that this was the front office's thinking on the matter. Think it was Tocchet, but not 100% on that. May have been Tom McMillan.

On the record or off the record and when?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
FWIW, I’ve heard from a few friends in the sports media / PR world here that Jagr himself doesn’t care about the number being retired either. He’s got his own issues.

Again, totally anecdotal and not something to base anything on, but it does seem to explain his... lack of enthusiasm regarding the matter.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm surprised the hate Jagr is getting here. Whatever transpired in Pittsburgh aside if anything even did Jagr is one of the all time greats. He deserves the honor and at worst is 3rd all time among Penguins in my opinion. He would be number 2 for me if he stayed in Pittsburgh longer as well. The guy was an amazing force in his prime there.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I'm surprised the hate Jagr is getting here. Whatever transpired in Pittsburgh aside if anything even did Jagr is one of the all time greats. He deserves the honor and at worst is 3rd all time among Penguins in my opinion. He would be number 2 for me if he stayed in Pittsburgh longer as well. The guy was an amazing force in his prime there.

He doesn't deserve it. Loyalty is factored into this with Pittsburgh organizations. AB was the best WR ever and he won't get it. Jagr's number might get retired by some 3rd rate organization but not the Penguins. Mario, Briere, Sid, and Geno. That's it for a long time.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Thanks for calling, but I don't think we care what Vancouver thinks about anything.

But if we need advice on how to riot after a playoff loss, we'll call you.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He doesn't deserve it. Loyalty is factored into this with Pittsburgh organizations. AB was the best WR ever and he won't get it. Jagr's number might get retired by some 3rd rate organization but not the Penguins. Mario, Briere, Sid, and Geno. That's it for a long time.

Loyalty aside he deserves it and comparing to AB is just wrong. That guy is a train wreck. However if Mario does have issue with Jagr then of course him being owner it's his decision.

Thanks for calling, but I don't think we care what Vancouver thinks about anything.

But if we need advice on how to riot after a playoff loss, we'll call you.

No worries and don't judge a whole fan base by a few idiots who look for anything to create chaos.

Reactions: Lesky

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

That’s great, you gonna retire Messier or Luongo’s number?

The Penguins have been very exclusive in their retiring of numbers. Jagr may get it, but he should have to wait until Sid and Malkin go up there. They mean way more to this team than what Jagr ever did without Francis or Lemieux.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If he does not care, why do it? The fans are not asking for it. He left in bad terms. He said the stupid "I'd play for the league minimum for Mario" thing. I mean, I would not be mad if they did, but I do not see why they would.

The player does not care, the fan base has no strong connection with the player.

Sid, Geno, Letang and Fleury will probably get their day and they all deserve it more than Jagr. They either have had bigger impacts and mean much more to the community. Obviously, Letang and Geno it will depend how their Pens career end. Sid is a lock either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->