When will they retire Jagr's number?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Iirc Lemeuix and Jags are still friends so if the big guy decides to have 68 retired, it'll be deserved in its own right for the things he did here as a Pen. Some need to let the anger go.

This board is going to melt down and explode :laugh:

Reactions: Lesky

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
The number 29 should be given to the next Tyler Wright to come along.

It's not that 29 shouldn't be retired. It's that it shouldn't be considered.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Disagree, it should only be 71 (retires first) and 87. Letang is a pretty normal tier star, but I admit if he retires a Penguin I may feel differently. Fleury, no way.
Except there's the thing where Malkin wants to sign an extension to match Sid's contract and retire together.

If Letang is in the convo then Fleury should as well. 375 wins as a Penguin, all time leader in that category including playoffs.

It amazes me how obtuse people are with Fleury. He was nothing but a class act. The fans were the garbage ones in regards to how they talked about him as a Penguin and after. He didn't pull a dying alive. He did the Pens a solid by waiving his ntc and even did his part when Murray usurped his number one spot.

That's a f***ing class act. I'd be happy to see 29 up there for the work he did for the community and his accomplishments as a Penguin as a leader in every major category for goalies for this franchise.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Except there's the thing where Malkin wants to sign an extension to match Sid's contract and retire together.

If Letang is in the convo then Fleury should as well. 375 wins as a Penguin, all time leader in that category including playoffs.

It amazes me how obtuse people are with Fleury. He was nothing but a class act. The fans were the garbage ones in regards to how they talked about him as a Penguin and after. He didn't pull a dying alive. He did the Pens a solid by waiving his ntc and even did his part when Murray usurped his number one spot.

That's a f***ing class act. I'd be happy to see 29 up there for the work he did for the community and his accomplishments as a Penguin as a leader in every major category for goalies for this franchise.

You don't retire numbers for class acts, what you talkin bout.

Not dumping on Fleury but what's his legacy really. And compare it to the numbers already retired. Is Barrasso up there? Maybe Murray should be.

I think it should be HoF caliber and/or foundational (or tragically affected) players and I don't consider Fleury any of those.

Edit: ok I thought more about his relationship to the city itself but by the time he retires he'll also have all that with Vegas. So I still think not a number retirement.

Reactions: Hungamania

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The number 29 should be given to the next Tyler Wright to come along.

It's not that 29 shouldn't be retired. It's that it shouldn't be considered.
Fleury is almost assuredly going to end up in the HHoF. Maybe not first-ballot (depends on how strong of a year it is) but he’ll get in. He has an outside shot of besting Roy for wins and ending up 2nd all time. It would be weird if he didn’t have his jersey retired considering the bulk of his wins came in a Pens uniform.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah...accomplishments on the team?

Great. For sure.

Fan favorite or local cultural hero deserving of a retired number?

f*** no.

I don't even think Geno's should be. Sid a hard maybe.

I think retiring numbers is borderline idiotic.

Just name a luxury suite after em or parking lot out front lol

Sid.....................maybe?

SID................MAYBE?????????

o_O

---
add

Oh... came here to say this but was distracted by sid maybe....

F JAGR!

Ok now I'm done.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sid.....................maybe?

SID................MAYBE?????????

o_O

---
add

Oh... came here to say this but was distracted by sid maybe....

F JAGR!

Ok now I'm done.

I said I think retired jerseys are stupid already

Dunno how else to explain that

Mario was possibly the best hockey player to ever play

Sid is way up there

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Sid is way up there

So you wouldn't care if..... say..... Jack Johnson came onto the ice wearing #66?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So you wouldn't care if..... say..... Jack Johnson came onto the ice wearing #66?

Its just a number

90% of players got randomly assigned at one point as a kid and kinda tried to keep from then on

Put a jersey cutout in the rafters with CROSBY on it if you must

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Its just a number

90% of players got randomly assigned at one point as a kid and kinda tried to keep from then on

Put a jersey cutout in the rafters with CROSBY on it if you must

So........... I'll take that as a yes.
=P

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Sid is way up there

I don't think it is stupid but should be reserved for players that are legit top tier ever which Jagr is. The problem is he doesn't meet my other criteria and that is stayed your whole career or left on good terms towards the end like Ray Bourque did for Boston.

I loved Jagr as a Penguin and actually met him twice at a Club back in my college days and we talked and finished the conversation with a hand shake on the second occasion. Would be totally on board for him having his number retired if at some point he would of came back to finish his career. Jagr never did that. You want the honor of having your number retired you don't die alive to leave the team.

I would retire Crosby and Malkin's numbers because they are instrumental in going to 4 Cups and bringing 3 to Pittsburgh. Malkin deserves it as much as Crosby. Malkin has very similar numbers to Crosby in those 4 Cup Finals years in those playoffs. In 2009 he was the best player on that team during that year both in the regular season and playoffs.

Malkin is truly the most underrated player of all time. One of the all time great talents to play the game. Malkin is in the same league as Crosby with Crosby as the slightly better player for his career but I would take a healthy prime Malkin over OV any day. Malkin at his best outshined Sid in some years but Crosby is Mr. Consistent year after year. Malkin has his great years and then some that puts him down a tier. But Malkin is by far the second best PPG player of his generation. All take the great Center over a winger any day. The two Center model is what won those Cups and to think Malkin scored 35 playoff points with Fedotenko and Talbot as his wingers in 2009. Let that soak in. OV even at his best could not produce like that with players like Talbot and Fedotenko.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

66, 87, 71

Enough said, end the discussion. Wish 68 didn't turn away from the organization but he did. His number should never be retired in Pittsburgh. Give it to Kapanen tomorrow for all I care.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
66, 87, 71

Enough said, end the discussion. Wish 68 didn't turn away from the organization but he did. His number should never be retired in Pittsburgh. Give it to Kapanen tomorrow for all I care.

Yep... I feel like this thread / issue / discussion was already had on this board for the.... I donno... a few times already.

He crossed the rubicon when he made a big deal about returning to the nhl and of all things signed with the flyers.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Some people are way too salty about something that happened 20 years ago. 68 deserves to be retired as much as 87 and 71.

66, 68, 87, 71 will be hanging from the rafters when they all retire. No logical argument can be made against any of them 4.

58 and 29 can be argued either way.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah you know what, on second thought, maybe a selfish piece of shit like Jaromir Jagr is the perfect number to hang up representing this franchises real soul.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Some people are way too salty about something that happened 20 years ago. 68 deserves to be retired as much as 87 and 71.

66, 68, 87, 71 will be hanging from the rafters when they all retire. No logical argument can be made against any of them 4.

58 and 29 can be argued either way.

Sorry, no way on 58 or 29. 66, 87, and 71 are the only deserving members. 68 could of but it isn't being salty to not retire a players jersey. You leave under those circumstances and you don't get retired. It is that simple. Jagr literally turned his back to the Pens organization. Why retire his number?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Sorry, no way on 58 or 29. 66, 87, and 71 are the only deserving members. 68 could of but it isn't being salty to not retire a players jersey. You leave under those circumstances and you don't get retired. It is that simple. Jagr literally turned his back to the Pens organization. Why retire his number?

Are you gonna be mad when they do?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
He demanded a trade from a team on the verge of bankruptcy. Plenty of players have demanded a trade throughout sports history. It doesn't overshadow his on ice accomplishments.

If Mario and Jagr squashed their beef then why would you care about it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->