HF Habs: When will the Habs have an elite forward?

How long ?

• Total voters

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'll say something about life.... it's about patterns. Patterns repeating and patterns changing, sometimes in very extremist ways.

We've had decades where we were lucky enough to have massive amounts of talent and now we seem to flow in a complete opposite stream.

My guess is, it's going to keep going this way and there will come a time where this timing/luck/tendency will completely flip the other way. Call it quantum entanglement, call it luck, but that's my intuition about our future.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
You have to accept to pay the price to get top end talent.
Montreal doesn't want to pay the price (aiming the series every years).
We had top5 picks (Glacheniuk, KK).
We had our chances for a couple of years...

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Pacioretty was an elite goal scorer. He also played good defense. Haven't had too much other elite forward talent since the '93 team was demolished in a textbook "how not to succeed in hockey management" series of trades.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I'll say something about life.... it's about patterns. Patterns repeating and patterns changing, sometimes in very extremist ways.

We've had decades where we were lucky enough to have massive amounts of talent and now we seem to flow in a complete opposite stream.

My guess is, it's going to keep going this way and there will come a time where this timing/luck/tendency will completely flip the other way. Call it quantum entanglement, call it luck, but that's my intuition about our future.
Call it time, call it karma, call it justice. I agree though that in all situations time will flip the coin and make the king a beggar and a beggar a king. However, my question is how long until the coin flips again for this org? How long until a Habs GM realizes that you need high end talent to win?

Also if this were entirely the case, then wouldn't the Leafs have won something for all their continued misery? Although I think there is a poetic aspect to it, it really comes down to having a GM identify what it takes to win and ensure to build a team as such. We don't have such as GM.

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
When the team has a bad season in a good draft year. And the top3-5 prospects are elite potential. Not your Galchenyuks and Kotkaniemies

Reactions: Gravity

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You have to accept to pay the price to get top end talent.
Montreal doesn't want to pay the price (aiming the series every years).
We had top5 picks (Glacheniuk, KK).
We had our chances for a couple of years...

The only reason the team was garbage is precisely because they wanted to make the playoffs every year without having a team good enough to compete

Reactions: Runner77

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
When they learn how to tank like the Penguins and Oilers. Need a top 3 pick, not a 7-10

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
We're cursed so I'd say never. We never getting an elite superstar forward. The most if we're lucky is by trading or signing an aging one. So don't expect any Matthews or the like for the next few years at the very least

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
An elite player to me is a guy who are the best in his own skilllsett. So there is maybe 10 elite players in the league? Maximum 15. About elite speed, im thinking to mcdavid. Creativeness playmaking, crosby, having a guy on the back and still playing , malkin. Wrist shot ovechkin. They are elite by their attributes.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
As pathetic as this sound, I legit believe Ilya Kovalchuk was our last elite player and we won’t see a player remotely close to this talent for 5+ years.

Kovalchuk had elite hands and a shot - even still in his stint with us. But he had slowed down enough to no longer be elite overall.

But man would I have liked to have seen what he could do for a full 56 games playing in our improved and healthy top 9. I think he would have surprised a lot of people, just as he did in the first half of his first stint here.

Reactions: the

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
after drafting the shit out of C's and D's, it's time Timmins went crazy and drafted 14 wingers next summer ;)

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
after drafting the shit out of C's and D's, it's time Timmins went crazy and drafted 14 wingers next summer ;)
I'd keep drafting Cs as well and heavily. Imagine if Tampa thought they were set with Stamkos and Johnson down the middle so they passed on Point and Cirelli?

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
that's true. i was kidding though ;)
I know but I'm just so pro continuously drafting Cs as it's such a valuable position that's impossible to fill any other way. However many other posters are not kidding and think we're set up the middle so as to draft for needs, which I think is a tremendously terrible idea.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Galchenyuk was perceived to have elite potential when he was drafted and the 2012 draft was regarded as quite good at the time.
There was debate as to wether or not he was the best of his draft class, but it was widely agrees that his draft class was pretty weak.

Reactions: LaP

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
There was debate as to wether or not he was the best of his draft class, but it was widely agrees that his draft class was pretty weak.
In relative hindsight (2014 onwards) sure . But I don't recall it being labelled a weak draft class early on during the failforNail campaigns of 2011.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Who would you consider to be "elite" from the past 30 years?
  • Pacioretty
  • Radulov
  • Plekanec
  • Kovalev
  • Koivu
  • Ryder
  • Ribeiro
  • Rucinsky
  • Savage
  • Recchi
  • Damphousse
  • Corson
  • Turgeon
  • Bellows
  • Muller
  • Lebeau
  • Leclair
  • Savard
  • Courtnall
  • Richer
Turgeon was elite imo. Damphousse, Recchi, Koivu, Pacioretty and Kovalev were close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad