HF Habs: When will the Habs have an elite forward?

How long ?

• Total voters

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It is one of the oddest statistics in recent memory. The fact that the Montreal Canadiens have not had any player finish in the top 10 in scoring in the past 30 years or so.

I've been watching the Habs since 88-89 and I've never seen an elite forward. That's just beyond sad. And the odds are just so low of that happening. Kovalev in 07 was. Just that year though. But man was he fun that year.

Reactions: Gravity

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Well, looking at his numbers they are not that far from Pacciorett... For me elite is top 5 in the league. Tarasenko is a star but not elite. But whatever, I think the definition is blurry :)
For clarity sakes I updated the OP with top 10 in the league per position. So it wouldn't that far-fetched to say Tarasenko was a top 10 RW but I could also understand the exclusion.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Well, looking at his numbers they are not that far from Pacciorett... For me elite is top 5 in the league. Tarasenko is a star but not elite. But whatever, I think the definition is blurry :)
Absolutely. The word elite gets thrown around too easily at times.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Depends on your definition of elite.

Gallagher is the 28th best goal scorer league wide in the last 3 years.

If not, in our roster players, KK and Suzuki both have the potential to be it.

Farther way, I could see Caufield being one. Any other other prospects/player would be a surprise.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Assuming "elite" to mean top 3-5 at their position...

I'd say 5+.

JKO & Suzuki are the only chance we have (unless Anderson blows us all away & turns into a prime Lucic PF) currently in the organization that could get to elite in under 5 years and MB has shown zero ability to add elite talent.

Caufield

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Who would you consider to be "elite" from the past 30 years?
  • Pacioretty
  • Radulov
  • Plekanec
  • Kovalev
  • Koivu
  • Ryder
  • Ribeiro
  • Rucinsky
  • Savage
  • Recchi
  • Damphousse
  • Corson
  • Turgeon
  • Bellows
  • Muller
  • Lebeau
  • Leclair
  • Savard
  • Courtnall
  • Richer

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
They have never had one in my lifetime. I lost hope

I think Suzuki will become good enough to be the #1 center on a Stanley Cup winning team, but not elite.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
No idea. Suzuki maybe? We could be tripping over our own feet when it comes to elite offensive talent for quite some time unless we hit a home run that hasn’t happened yet.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
10 years ago the Habs brightest young upcoming core were Carey Price/PK Subban/Max Pacioretty/Ryan Mcdonagh.

now it’s Nick Suzuki/ Jesperi Kotkaniemi/ Alexander Romanov/ Cole Caufield/Cayden Primeau

Reactions: dkd

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Suzuki could become one, depending on your definition of elite. Kid is the real deal, as mentionned by many ex NHLers. He’s the most impressive Habs prospect I’ve seen in a long time. I might end up being wrong, but he’s just so sneaky smart and clutch that I can see him becoming a top player in the league. The way he lead his team to the OHL championship and how dominant he was in all those do-or-die elimination games that they faced was special. He’s got that ability to deliver when it counts the most (we saw another glimpse of it during the elimination game vs. the Flyers). The only other prospect that I can recall showing me that kind of promise at such a young age was when I followed a 19 years old Price winning the calder cup and being named playoffs MVP with Hamilton.

It’s easy to see why some don’t see Suzuki with "elite" potential because he's not your prototypical elite flashy offensive forward like McDavid. If he reaches his full potential though, I can see him belonging in the same class of players as past Selke winners, O'Reilly, Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Datsyuk etc. Not an art ross trophy candidate, but a PPG center you can count on in all types of important game situations, exceling in all three zones of the ice. Whether you consider that type of forward “elite” is debatable, but it’d certainly be a breed that Montreal hasn’t had in a long time.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I consider elite to be the top 3-5 players at a specific position.

We don't have anyone that will enter into that category.

Suzuki could get top 10 centres in the league and I see his ceiling as ~Bergeron.

KK's ceiling is also potentially a top 10, if his curve follows Barkov.

Reactions: Deebs

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I consider elite to be the top 3-5 players at a specific position.

We don't have anyone that will enter into that category.

Suzuki could get top 10 centres in the league and I see his ceiling as ~Bergeron.

KK's ceiling is also potentially a top 10, if his curve follows Barkov.
I actually think Suzuki has more offence than Bergeron

Reactions: Runner77

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Who would you consider to be "elite" from the past 30 years?
  • Pacioretty
  • Radulov
  • Plekanec
  • Kovalev
  • Koivu
  • Ryder
  • Ribeiro
  • Rucinsky
  • Savage
  • Recchi
  • Damphousse
  • Corson