HF Habs: When will the Habs have an elite forward?

How long ?

• Total voters

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I am of the opinion that Suzuki has elite potential , whether he will reach that ceiling remains to be seen. Kotkaniemi has a chance as well but he's more of a safe pick as a sure bet top 6 forward with size and skill.

Elite players have high hockey IQ and undeniable skilled areas , Suzuki fits in this category imo.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think Suzuki has the best shot. I see him being a great 2way 70 point player, but some may not consider that elite.

That's where Bergeron has been most of his career if Suzuki's defensive game keeps maturing he could be in that same mold of player. I believe most consider Bergeron elite in the sense that he produces consistently while also being a defensive horse.

Reactions: Gravity

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Elite, to me anyways, means top 5 player in the world. We don't have anyone in the organization that fits my billing.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
.as long as we have 3 really good lines plus a 4th line wwith players like Lehkonen and Armia on it, I'll be happy.
For me that's absolutely not ok. When almost every team in the Atlantic and Canadian divisions have an elite forward (Eichel, Pastarnak, Point, Matthews, Barkov, Schiefele, Gaudreau, Pettersson, McDavid and potentially Stutzle) why should Habs fans continue to get the raw end of the stick?

I only named one from each team although many have 2. The only other teams without an elite forward are Detroit and Ottawa, both of whom are re-building and I expect that to change very quickly for Ottawa with Stutzle and Detroit in the next two lotteries.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For me that's absolutely not ok. When almost every team in the Atlantic and Canadian divisions have an elite forward (Eichel, Pastarnak, Point, Matthews, Barkov, Schiefele, Gaudreau, Pettersson, McDavid and potentially Stutzle) why should Habs fans continue to get the raw end of the stick? I only named one from each team although many have 2 and only other teams without an elite forward are Detroit and Ottawa, both of whom are re-building and I expect that to change quickly for Ottawa with Stutzle.

As long as we win, that's my priority...

But hopefully Suzuki, Kk, or Caufield can become that guy. Other than that we have to hope our elite goalie and a deep forward and d-corps can get it done.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
As long as we win, that's my priority...

But hopefully Suzuki, Kk, or Caufield can become that guy. Other than that we have to hope our elite goalie and a deep forward and d-corps can get it done.
Thing is, you don't win without an elite forward....even the grindiest team in STL still had Tarasenko and ROR who are both fringe.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Thing is, you don't win without an elite forward....even the grindiest team in STL still had Tarasenko and ROR who are both fringe.

One thing about life is that I highly recommend one doesn't spend it copying others and being a sheep. You have to make your own path, be your own man... At least until we get an elite forward that's what we're going to have to do.

F the Blues and anyone that wants to stand in our way.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
One thing about life is that I highly recommend one doesn't spend it copying others and being a sheep. You have to make your own path, be your own man... At least until we get an elite forward that's what we're going to have to do
Oh I agree entirely with the motto of not following trends but those usually relate to size, speed, physicality and how a team is built overall. However, you simply cannot win without talent no matter how hard you try. An elite F is needed regardless or you're perpetually starting behind the 8 ball. Another lesson is those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Perhaps there is indeed at least something to gather as a lesson from last 10+ years of winning teams instead of continuing the 27+ years of perpetual mediocrity.

Also I really doubt that MB is the GM to write a new script/trend. I wouldn't trust him to write a thank you note let alone a new Stanley cup winning formula.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Oh I agree entirely with the motto of not following trends but those usually relate to size, speed, physicality and how a team is built overall. However, you simply cannot win without talent no matter how hard you try. An elite F is needed regardless or you're perpetually starting behind the 8 ball. Another lesson is those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Perhaps there is indeed at least something to gather as a lesson from last 10+ years of winning teams.

Also I really doubt that MB is the GM to write a new script/trend. I wouldn't trust him to write a thank you note let alone a new Stanley cup winning formula.

At the end of the day, we all want elite forwards. I like KK and Suzuki's potential. So I'm partly happy to see us have a deep groups of wingers so that now KK and Suzuki will play with quality offensive wingers, even if they're not elite. And, I'm curious to see what this deep crew can do. I would be much more excited if we could/could've gotten one more quality offensive player like Marchessault or Granlund to replace Byron.

But hopefully we can have 3 lines that are each consistently an offensive threat.

If we go far with that, maybe Hall or Landeskog sign with us next summer...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Who knows really. Suzuki was a rookie and put up 40ish pts...KK struggle and was sent down.
These two are our current best bet but neither have shown enough to lead us to believe they can become elite.
Suzuki seems closer but we still have to see more of it. I'm hoping he becomes our version of Barzal and produces more this upcoming season.

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
It is one of the oddest statistics in recent memory. The fact that the Montreal Canadiens have not had any player finish in the top 10 in scoring in the past 30 years or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad