When will Rich Tocchet be fired (or otherwise cease being our head coach)?

When will RT stop being our coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That's the Pittsburgh paper, but agree.

No issue with Meruelo. And to say he's the worst over guys like Peguela and Melnyk...

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If you ever wanted proof that the conventional wisdom in NHL circles is a giant pile of ocelot turds, the fact that Tocchet is getting praised for his teams going on murderous losing streaks every single year he's been here should provide all you need.

The only reasons we were even CLOSE to a playoff spot were the abbreviated season and the fact that we're in the most dogshit division in the sport this year.

Let the cognoscenti yap on about the usual stuff, about how our market sucks, our owner sucks, our arena sucks, our fans suck, etc. None of that is new, much less accurate. We're used to it. But don't let them gaslight you into thinking that Rick Tocchet was anything other than the coaching version of Mike Smith.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
One could argue that Tocchet has also not performed to his contract.

Even the "full of AHL players" comment is dumb. Who? Maybe someone like Chaput who he chose to play over a better player like Bunting for much of the season?

Bunting was an AHL player. Been there 5 years. Pederson, Hill, and so on. Bunting outplayed most of the roster. Pederson pretty much the same as Fischer or Crouse. Jenik was moved to taxi status today, so expect he and Soderstrom should be getting looks these last two games.

So the notion of veterans not playing up to their contracts validates the fact we had mostly an AHL level roster.

It all depends on one’s perspective.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If you ever wanted proof that the conventional wisdom in NHL circles is a giant pile of ocelot turds, the fact that Tocchet is getting praised for his teams going on murderous losing streaks every single year he's been here should provide all you need.

The only reasons we were even CLOSE to a playoff spot were the abbreviated season and the fact that we're in the most dogshit division in the sport this year.

Let the cognoscenti yap on about the usual stuff, about how our market sucks, our owner sucks, our arena sucks, our fans suck, etc. None of that is new, much less accurate. We're used to it. But don't let them gaslight you into thinking that Rick Tocchet was anything other than the coaching version of Mike Smith.

If you’re pointing that oration in my direction I haven’t said squat about putting Tocchet on a pedestal.

BA has to build the team his way and that more than likely does not include Tocchet. But it was the hand he was dealt and he at least had to get through this season to figure out where his biggest needs are. If that includes a different coaching staff then so be it.

I for one can’t wait to see how this board reacts if the next coach that comes in tanks as well… or not.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Anyone that watched the games knows the compete wasn't always there, and certainly wasn't there 'until the end'.

This shit is so dangerous. I am not all confident Meruelo and XG know better.
BA knows better, and he is running the show.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Actually he was somewhat correct.

Best coaches in the world won’t get you anywhere if they player’s have the mental capacity of a box of rocks.

Too many players were performing well under their contracts.

And BA does have his work cut out for him.

But you saw a kudo for Tocchet and stopped there.
The box of rocks is between RT’s ears.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I just don’t see why this roster keeps getting called a bunch of AHL guys. Don’t get me wrong it’s not a bunch of world beaters or anything, but the right coach absolutely puts this team in the playoffs... or at the very least gets them to show effort on a consistent basis

4 years ago was a bunch of AHL guys. This team is not that

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I just don’t see why this roster keeps getting called a bunch of AHL guys. Don’t get me wrong it’s not a bunch of world beaters or anything, but the right coach absolutely puts this team in the playoffs... or at the very least gets them to show effort on a consistent basis

4 years ago was a bunch of AHL guys. This team is not that
Of the 4 teams making the playoffs, which do you think AZ is clearly better than?

Reactions: LittlePipes

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not saying we’re clearly better than any of them but a good coach gets us above the Blues this year
The Blues had a bad year but I think their roster is clearly better than the Coyotes. When push came to shove they showed up and the Coyotes folded. That's not just the Coach though he does play a role.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not to turn this into a Tippett vs Tocchet thing, but Tippett took a far less talented roster and got 107 points out of it. It was 28 points better than the year before.

I really think even with minimal roster change (not what I'm hoping for) you could see a similar effect with the new coach, like when Tippett took over for Gretzky.

There are some good pieces here.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The Blues had a bad year but I think their roster is clearly better than the Coyotes. When push came to shove they showed up and the Coyotes folded. That's not just the Coach though he does play a role.

What I can't figure out when people disparage our roster is when they turn around and say, "Well, we shouldn't trade X because he's too potentially valuable."

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not to turn this into a Tippett vs Tocchet thing, but Tippett took a far less talented roster and got 107 points out of it. It was 28 points better than the year before.

I really think even with minimal roster change (not what I'm hoping for) you could see a similar effect with the new coach, like when Tippett took over for Gretzky.

There are some good pieces here.
Tippett is a really good coach if you’re not rebuilding. Tocchet does all of the short-sighted, stubborn, frustrating things Tippett did. But with none of the advantage of excellent coaching. LOL. All that is bad about DT is also bad about RT. None of what is good about DT is good about RT. I don’t want DT back but if the Chayka rebuild was less of a failure, we’d be at a point again where he’d actually probably be a good option once more.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What I can't figure out when people disparage our roster is when they turn around and say, "Well, we shouldn't trade X because he's too potentially valuable."
TBH I've never liked 90 % of the roster but was truly impressed when they put it together in stretches. I would never draft or sign a Keller type player unless I was very confident that he was exceptional, skill just isn't enough. And I woukd never sign a player to a long expensive contract because he was my best when in reality he just isn't a League leader. It hurts your ability to improve.

I was OK with Dvo and Chick contracts as they were reasonable and likely to give value. I did not like OEL, Schmaltz, or Keller contracts for one second. At tge time I said Chayka was either a genius or would bury the franchise. The latter was hyperbole but closer the first.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Who outside of f40 is saying that RT is a poor coach? My bro in Danver says that the feeling up there is that Tocchet got screwed snd hung out to dry by poor talent.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Who outside of f40 is saying that RT is a poor coach? My bro in Danver says that the feeling up there is that Tocchet got screwed snd hung out to dry by poor talent.
Who follows the team closer? Your argument would be valid, IF anyone in the know actually watched with any diligence.

Reactions: Mosby

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
The casual Yotes fan seems to be behind Tocc as well from what I’ve gathered. Something about Gambo and others’ pumping him up has worn off on them is my guess. Can’t wait for when he doesn’t get retained and Gambo thinks it’s awful and Kent Somers puts out another hit piece on Meruelo

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Tippett is a really good coach if you’re not rebuilding. Tocchet does all of the short-sighted, stubborn, frustrating things Tippett did. But with none of the advantage of excellent coaching. LOL. All that is bad about DT is also bad about RT. None of what is good about DT is good about RT. I don’t want DT back but if the Chayka rebuild was less of a failure, we’d be at a point again where he’d actually probably be a good option once more.
Tip/Galant/torts/Q are good coaches, they get more out of the roster, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. That is how I judge a coach, it has nothing to do with talent level, vet team, young team, rebuilding team, etc, a good coach is a good coach for any roster.

RT got less with more, that is my problem with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad