HF Habs: When Does Our Postseason Fate Sort Itself Out? Rebuild Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpaulws

Jan 24, 2020
One day, the city the fans and the media, even the franco media will wake up.

I hope you are correct,

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon

The media should call him out and ask tough questions, but I don't think they are allowed to, or they will be banned from future press conferences

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are we allowed to talk about... how low we can go if we were to make that decision?

- Call up Alzner
- Trade Petry and Tatar if the returns are right
- Trade Kovalchuk, Thompson, Scandella, Weal, Cousins, Byron, Weise
- Rest Price as much as we can and play Lindgren
- Call up Hudon, Vejdemo, Leskinen, Evans
- Rest any vets with nagging injuries.

Still doubt we can out tank the bottom 5 teams though?

Also, I wonder what our fan base says if we get a 10-12 range pick and someone 6-9 wins the draft lottery. :sarcasm:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Are we allowed to talk about... how low we can go if we were to make that decision?

- Call up Alzner
- Trade Petry and Tatar if the returns are right
- Trade Kovalchuk, Thompson, Scandella, Weal, Cousins, Byron, Weise
- Rest Price as much as we can and play Lindgren
- Call up Hudon, Vejdemo, Leskinen, Evans
- Rest any vets with nagging injuries.

Still doubt we can out tank the bottom 5 teams though?

Also, I wonder what our fan base says if we get a 10-12 range pick and someone 6-9 wins the draft lottery. :sarcasm:

If we are aiming for the bottom...why not just keep Weal, Thompson and Cousins? They would probably be more useful in that endeavour than whatever low picks we can get for them...

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Maybe I'm naive but is this a real thing? Canadiens are still top 2-3 in attendance during MBs tenure when there's been no direction and little regular season or post season success. I think most fans would embrace a rebuild and a youth movement with a new coach that preaches development over Ws

We are decades removed from the glory days, surely we can acknowledge the elephant in the room in 2020 and rebuild
I think you're right that we'd all survive just fine, but Molson et al has to get over their fear of puncturing our market's long tradition of blissful denial.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So break/bye week over. Let's take a look at those standings, shall we?

Habs with 50 games played (32 remaining) sit 10 points out of a playoff spot with 51 points (Florida (49 GP) 3rd in the division with 61 points and Carolina (50 GP) in the 2nd WC at 61 points).

Also 3 teams ahead of the Habs (Philly, Toronto, Buffalo) that aren't in the playoffs.

Habs are also low on the ROW tiebreaker, so that's another wrench in the playoff plans.

Rangers one point back with 2 games in hand aswell.

Time to sell, sell, sell!

giphy.gif

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
If they were smart, they’d try and acquire more first rounders and use them to try and acquire the first pick. Obviously it’s a long shot but you never know who would bite if the the offer was a couple first rounders.
They absolutely have to make every effort to get Lafreniere.
The thing that ticks me off is Brooks lack of production. If he were performing well enough, they could move Petry without too much concern.
They could conceivably grab 2 more first rounders- one for Tatar and one for Petry. Like I said though, no one to replace him currently or even next season.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
and i'll keep predicting Roy is next in line, so careful what you wish for

god help us all

At least Roy appreciates skills. That's already a plus for me. Also, he's already been at the top, he's part of our rich history, which makes him more likely to concern himself with the logo rather than his own ego, unlike Bergevin, an outsider with a prideful chip on his shoulder. What I mean is Roy is not some loser trying to prove himself.

Reactions: Andrei79

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
At least Roy appreciates skills. That's already a plus for me. Also, he's already been at the top, he's part of our rich history, which makes him more likely to concern himself with the logo rather than his own ego, unlike Bergevin, an outsider with a prideful chip on his shoulder. What I mean is Roy is not some loser trying to prove himself.

suuuuure but he's also, from his experience in Colorado, kind of a bad GM

iirc I had Colorado fans telling me all about how he kept playing guys with GRIT and INTANGIBLE over skilled players, and that was his focus in trades too. People can change but boy that sure makes me feel things I don't wanna feel

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I wish there would be more heat brought towards Molson. He is the owner, and has always defended Bergevin.

Missing the playoffs a third year in 4 years should at least warrant an answer from him as to what exactly is the plan, we're just stalling right now, as an organization.

Trade some picks/prospects if you're playing for the playoffs and get the team some talent where it needs it. If you're not playing for the playoffs then you're rebuilding so sell certain players at their peak for picks/prospects. Please pick a direction for crying out loud.

Stop bothering Claude with the same questions and start harrassing Molson with some hard hitting questions.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
I wish there would be more heat brought towards Molson. He is the owner, and has always defended Bergevin.

Missing the playoffs a third year in 4 years should at least warrant an answer from him as to what exactly is the plan, we're just stalling right now, as an organization.

Trade some picks/prospects if you're playing for the playoffs and get the team some talent where it needs it. If you're not playing for the playoffs then you're rebuilding so sell certain players at their peak for picks/prospects. Please pick a direction for crying out loud.

Stop bothering Claude with the same questions and start harrassing Molson with some hard hitting questions.
Molson has always been the problem. He just wants to make the playoffs, he doesn’t make decisions to win a Cup. Bergevin can only operate within the parameters given by Molson, and the directive is shit.

Reactions: optimus2861

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I don't think questions do anything to Molson. The question is how to hurt Molson's pocket book in a market where PT Barnum's ''born every minute'' appears to be the average ticket buyer. The only people taking a hit recently have been the scalpers.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

It's gonna be 4 in 5, equal to the dark years of the turn of the millenium.

Annnd... 5 straight years without winning a playoff round. Have to go back 80+ years to find a worst sequence

Reactions: optimus2861

get25

Oct 17, 2015
.800 hockey for only 9 weeks to get in?

Piece of cake

Just need Gallagher, Drouin and Byron back

And a time machine to bring back the 76-77 Habs
They did 132 points in 80 games. That's .825.
But if you give them 6 out of 12 draw, it puts them at .850.

I like Drouin and Gallagher but I fail to see the big three, Lafleur, Lemaire, Shutt.
I don't see a40 goals scorer so we are far from having two players with 50+ goals.

At this point, our odds to get Lafrniere are higher than our odds to make the PO.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Molson has always been the problem. He just wants to make the playoffs, he doesn’t make decisions to win a Cup. Bergevin can only operate within the parameters given by Molson, and the directive is ****.
Thousands, not hundreds, thousands of empty seats, would be the only thing, that gets this richie rich kid to do something. There were a ton of empty seats last night, but not enough. Not to mention those empty seats probably belong to the scalpers.

Money Mol$on is not a hockey guy, he is a business guy. The Board can't even hold him accountable, what an a$$backwards organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad