Speculation: When does Josh Ho-Sang get his NHL deal w/ Leafs?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I root for the realization of a promising career derailed but from what I've seen he's still focused on becoming an NHL level offense only player. It's an old story: he's a former junior stud who probably has to reinvent his game to become a semi-grunt. NHL teams love grunts with skill. Imagine the luxury of having a functional 4th liner with great hands and vision.

The Olympics will be a great place to market his services to European teams.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I can only go off of what JN told me personally at Marlies, he was our president for many many years before JT/SG, I was one of donors for many years as my kids played for org like I did and my dad did .. kid has amazing talent for sure that we can all agree on .. but he did not go to BTNL or work out with our other pro prospects as it was recommended to him .. that was my point .. now he was always a little different and his skills were off da chart amazing so everyone kinda looked da other way .. his skating edge work is like Bracco and Mitch but like both his skating straight line speed is not amazing (he lacks power in his legs) .. and yes everyone always liked Josh as a kid.. very good kid and was always a team first guy .. his personality is fine .. but he does have a lot to work on to make da show - more specifically his foot speed/power and his defensive game .. i hope da best for him and his family

who the hell is JN?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Don't worry about it only those seriously coaching/playing in GTA hockey scene know who these people are .. if you were involved in Marlies or Toronto hockey you would know

joe neiwendyk? Just say his name, wtf are you using initials that can literally be anyone. I swear some of you have no brain cells on here

EDIT* and I never claimed to be involved in minor hockey. I coach in a completely different sport at the collegiate level and with that sporting organizations U16 team ontario team. A lot of my best friends are hockey players, play in the ECHL, AHL, or played major junior. I never played hockey at a high level.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
couldn't it just be a "celebrate the triumph of the human spirit overcoming self inflicted problems!" kind of story
Of course.

The post I was responding to seemed to think the hype was more than could be explained by just another 'redemption story'. I merely said that some people see it as more.

As far as I'm concerned, if he had problems and sorted them out, that's great, but I'm more interested in 'is he an asset?'

Reactions: Doubledose

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
joe neiwendyk? Just say his name, wtf are you using initials that can literally be anyone. I swear some of you have no brain cells on here

EDIT* and I never claimed to be involved in minor hockey. I coach in a completely different sport at the collegiate level and with that sporting organizations U16 team ontario team. A lot of my best friends are hockey players, play in the ECHL, AHL, or played major junior. I never played hockey at a high level.
I don't want to get into naming friends who are private people now .. lets just say he was ex-president of Marlies and he hired Josh's coach and was well aware of everything going on in org

NMacrules

May 30, 2021

You don't need to explain yourself to twits.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Can Josh Ho-Sang turn his Olympic opportunity into a job with the Maple Leafs? - The Athletic

Ho-Sang is well aware that NHL teams will be watching his Olympic performance. The Leafs do not own his NHL rights, and he is currently free to sign an NHL contract with any team that offers him one. He believes it would be “silly not to consider” those offers.

Still, he’s trying to not look too far ahead, even though the Olympics could revitalize his career.

“This is a moment that is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” Ho-Sang said. “And it’s fleeting. I don’t want to blink.”

Welcome to Josh Ho-Sang 2.0, one which features improved maturity, better adherence to team structure and more accountability. The highlight-reel production is still coming (20 points in 27 AHL games) which means Ho-Sang has at least answered some questions about what he’s capable of after only playing nine games split between two Swedish Hockey League teams last season.

So for now, the most pressing questions for Ho-Sang as Canada begins its Olympic tournament on Thursday involve what the tournament could propel him to: Will a strong showing land him an NHL contract?

And will it come from the Leafs or another team?

Having never met Ho-Sang before, Marlies head coach Greg Moore wasn’t sure what to expect. Ho-Sang’s reputation preceded him, but there was an organizational belief that the player should be afforded a clean slate. And in return, the Maple Leafs’ development staff and Marlies coaches would provide Ho-Sang with the kind of constant, transparent feedback that perhaps he’d been lacking previously in his career. “This is what we think is keeping you from a steady career in the NHL” was the repeated message.

“From day one,” said Moore, “he’s had the right mindset of being honest with where he’s at.”

Many people within the Marlies have continually been impressed by his approach: Whatever reputation he had beforehand hasn’t been proven true in Toronto. He’s become known for his punctuality, attentiveness and honesty in meetings, to the point that some of those people have been surprised by how open he is in admitting his own flaws.

“I feel very heard there. My opinion seems like it matters,” said Ho-Sang. “That really inspires players when they feel connected to their organization rather than a piece of meat like players that I’ve heard have experienced in some places.”

A player of Ho-Sang’s skill could always just coast on that skill alone. But what’s different for Ho-Sang this season is how the desire to improve generally matches the effort to do just that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00