Speculation: When does Josh Ho-Sang get his NHL deal w/ Leafs?

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
The Thread title is a self-explanatory. We have rolled a couple different options in the top 6 and primarily gave the role to Nick Ritchie. The issue is Ho-Sang is primarily a RW which could complicate the signing. In short, when do we sign this kid to an NHL deal and give him a shot?

Talk about our own "deadline acquisition" Ho-Sang has major potential to get more creativity in the top 9.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The Thread title is a self-explanatory. We have rolled a couple different options in the top 6 and primarily gave the role to Nick Ritchie. The issue is Ho-Sang is primarily a RW which could complicate the signing. In short, when do we sign this kid to an NHL deal and give him a shot?

Talk about our own "deadline acquisition" Ho-Sang has major potential to get more creativity in the top 9.
Willy can play LW

Reactions: geo25

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hopefully soon, he’s done a great job for the Marlies and would definitely add some secondary scoring in our lineup with his creativity.

Nylander - Tavares - Ho-Sang could be a pretty dangerous second line.

Reactions: APV and Chief keefe

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is there any implications to him signing, cap? Waivers?

if he just plays out the year on the Marlies does he become UFA?

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Is there any implications to him signing, cap? Waivers?

if he just plays out the year on the Marlies does he become UFA?

Technically he’s still a UFA, any team could sign him right now. He was signed to an AHL deal so that they didn’t have to pass him through waivers at the beginning of the year to play with the Marlies.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Technically he’s still a UFA, any team could sign him right now. He was signed to an AHL deal so that they didn’t have to pass him through waivers at the beginning of the year to play with the Marlies.
Yeah I didn’t word that right. Meant build up some value then hit the market.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Nylander - Matthews - Marner
Kerfoot - Tavares - Ho-Sang
Bunting - Spezza - Kase
Engvall - Kampf - Simmonds/Mikhy

Could be moved around a bit at LW but you can't tell me Simmonds or Ritchie are better then Ho-Sang right now. I get they hit, and nobody thinks the team needs to be tougher then me, but you gotta do more then just hit in today's game. I get playing 1, but playing both seems like a waste of a spot and cap space.

Do we even have a contract spot after getting Clifford though?

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Yeah should be interesting. First call up I'm guessing when the inevitable injury occurs
Me too sire. Not like that metoo metoo sire, but me too you already knew what I mean. But yeah he finna brang up that speed and skill. Dubas is waiting for some other fools and sucks to be injured or hurt. If that comes, ho-sung will be out hurr soon.
Mayne, that even rhymes sire. I'm hard like that at times.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
My 2 cents, he is under contract with the Marlies, so he would have to be released. No different than some guy playing in the KHL, he can't just leave and sign an NHL deal.

The caveat is when Hosang does get called up he has to stay or go on waivers to be sent down again. So he won't be called up for just a couple of games.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Liked what I saw in pre season. I think he can play. Hopes he gets a chance.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We'll see what happens but I think right now, let him play out the year with the Marlies. See how he does both on and off the ice. He's been terrific so far.

The Leafs could use a speedy offensive minded secondary player though. He's never been much of a goal scorer outside of this season with the Marlies, but he adds so much speed and skill.

My 2 cents, he is under contract with the Marlies, so he would have to be released. No different than some guy playing in the KHL, he can't just leave and sign an NHL deal.

The caveat is when Hosang does get called up he has to stay or go on waivers to be sent down again. So he won't be called up for just a couple of games.

Every AHL contract has a release clause. Nothing would stop him from signing a NHL or KHL deal to go somewhere even if the Leafs don't want him to.

If another team was sniffing around and Ho-Sang was interested in leaving for a pay day, I'm sure the Leafs would sign him to a NHL contract. Either way, Ho-Sang seems very keen in sticking around Toronto since they gave him a chance so I wouldn't be too worried.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Liked what I saw in pre season. I think he can play. Hopes he gets a chance.

I think he can play too but keep expectations in check. Sometimes you see him make play you can see the raw skill, but it can look raw. Hope he can come in and give us that Galchenyuk versatility.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Too soon. If leafs go on another bad 10 game stretch, like 3 and 7, where they are having trouble scoring they could move a contract to sign and bring him up. Who goes though? We would probably have to package a draft pick for someone to take Ritchie. Kerfoot actually is pretty good, but maybe his contract is a little rich. Maybe Simmonds goes, Clifford comes up when needed.

I think they will just roll with what we have until an injury allows the space to bring him up.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I would wait into the new year. Make sure this isn't just a blimp on the radar and that he can consistently do what he's currently doing.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I would wait into the new year. Make sure this isn't just a blimp on the radar and that he can consistently do what he's currently doing.

Agreed. He's been pretty good, but he's put himself in a position to be doubted. I think he has to over-prove that he's changed.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Too soon. If leafs go on another bad 10 game stretch, like 3 and 7, where they are having trouble scoring they could move a contract to sign and bring him up. Who goes though? We would probably have to package a draft pick for someone to take Ritchie. Kerfoot actually is pretty good, but maybe his contract is a little rich. Maybe Simmonds goes, Clifford comes up when needed.

I think they will just roll with what we have until an injury allows the space to bring him up.
I can teach something bout hockey even more sire: Simmonds is Tavares's right hand. They have a deal and a pact. Simmonds takes over the talking part when the team needs a jump or motivation. Tavares doesn'
t have to speak always, he shows example by living and being. Simmonds is our speaker. That's key and the organization knows that. Hard to sell-a-sucka who has that bigg of a leader role. When speakers leave, the organization is in shambles.

Reactions: Holls Blackmail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad