Speculation: When does Josh Ho-Sang get his NHL deal w/ Leafs?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
No, a player has to be signed before the trade deadline, to be eligible for the playoffs.
Thanks!

I figured that seemed too easy lol

Well, not that you hope for injury or anything, but I think it's entirely possible that someone could be "kucherov'd" on LTIR at that point to make room for a pre-deadline signing.

Point is, if JHS signs an NHL deal it's because they have no intention to send him back down to the minors. Plain and simple. I suspect as the season matures, that cap picture will be increasingly more clear. I am sure at this point there has been somewhat of a handshake agreement suggesting they are just waiting for that moment where they 100% know they won't have to send him back down and risk losing him to waivers. For all we know the AHL deal they gave him is worth big money, and if that's the case I'm sure Josh won't give a shit if he even gets the nod at all this year TBH. Because from what I understand there is no Cap in the AHL on SPC. He could be making anything correct?

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Josh Ho Sang is going to the olympics. Pretty cool experience for him.

I saw the roster sheet and i don't know many of the players. I don't know any of the goalies. With that in mind i actually prefer the olympics without NHL players. It's such a crap shoot and i also like cheering for the underdogs.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
well we already know the answer to "most overated leaf" for next year....
i dont understand the love for this guy , is it just a "redemption story" angle ?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
i dont understand the love for this guy , is it just a "redemption story" angle ?
He's a player the Islanders gave up on, so if he succeeds here it will be a very important, to some people, 'rub it in your face' story.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Josh Ho Sang is going to the olympics. Pretty cool experience for him.

I saw the roster sheet and i don't know many of the players. I don't know any of the goalies. With that in mind i actually prefer the olympics without NHL players. It's such a crap shoot and i also like cheering for the underdogs.

Couldn't agree more. Olympics are awesome without the NHL. It's a more level playing field, and it's cool when lesser known players make a name for themselves.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
He's a player the Islanders gave up on, so if he succeeds here it will be a very important, to some people, 'rub it in your face' story.

Which why to “some people,” it’s very important that he instead fails and never contributes to the Leafs in any positive way.

God forbid people simply want, to quote Burke, a free wallet to work out regardless of which organization he was previously associated with. It’s no different than hype and hope for Galchenyuk last year.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Which why to “some people,” it’s very important that he instead fails and never contributes to the Leafs in any positive way.

God forbid people simply want, to quote Burke, a free wallet to work out regardless of which organization he was previously associated with. It’s no different than hype and hope for Galchenyuk last year.
If you're referring to the Islanders, they pretty much said "goodbye and good luck". Lamorello even went to the trouble of finding him a spot on a Euro team.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
honestly Ho-Sang would have made the team out of camp if it were just based on pure merit. Unfortunately with the cap being the way it is/was it was just never possible. Not even to have him as a 13th forward unfortunately.

That said, ever since being in the organization he has shown up with the right attitude and has backed up his training camp mantra of being willing to do whatever it takes. I really don't understand how anyone could cheer against that. That to me is the ultimate sign of maturity.

I suspect he will be on the Leafs in some capacity next year. If not the Leafs, I hope somewhere else in the NHL. I believe he deserves that chance personally.

Even if he were to excel somewhere else, it will be a success for us as an organization. Kyle opened the door for him when other teams had that door shut 2 years prior. It would just be yet another example of why the Leafs organization is a premiere place for prospective NCAA, Euro, and all other fringe NHL talent. You don't have to hit on all of them, but you should try and be appealing to all of them. Which is exactly the culture Kyle has created IMO.

Happy to have someone to root for on Canada, I expect Josh will get a very good opportunity on that team TBH

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Looks like he will not be a success story, he started hot and seems to have trailed off. Marlies coach didn't speak very highly of his play in an interview.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Hmm, I guess I'm not in sync with "some people" here. I would love to see him have wildly great success with the Leafs, because the Leafs. I like a good redemption story as much as anyone but him being a former Islander doesn't move the needle for me one bit. Seems more like an Islander fan mentality if the situation was reversed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hmm, I guess I'm not in sync with "some people" here. I would love to see him have wildly great success with the Leafs, because the Leafs. I like a good redemption story as much as anyone but him being a former Islander doesn't move the needle for me one bit. Seems more like an Islander fan mentality if the situation was reversed.
I'm with you, couldn't care less about his past dealings on the Island.
Seems weird to me that anyone would.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I'm with you, couldn't care less about his past dealings on the Island.
Seems weird to me that anyone would.
I agree - happy to see anyone succeed, and always glad to add a good player to the team. But I have seen the 'steal a player from the (expletive) Isles' type of comment from a few posters here. All I recall from Isles posters here when we first signed him to a PTO, was a couple of warnings about his history.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
I agree - happy to see anyone succeed, and always glad to add a good player to the team. But I have seen the 'steal a player from the (expletive) Isles' type of comment from a few posters here. All I recall from Isles posters here when we first signed him to a PTO, was a couple of warnings about his history.
Yeah - that's fair enough - clearly his NHL history is not good and was a bust for the Isles. I'm loving him being on Team Canada for the Olympics - national/world spotlight, let's see what he's got. I'll be watching with interest.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ho-sang is a borderline top 6 guy on a mediocre AHL team.

You know what. JHS is someone that you'd really hope could make it. It's a good story, guy working hard to redeem himself, who clearly has some talent. Maybe the Olympics does something for him... let's hope so. He's put up 6 points in the last 11 games, and is near 0.78 PPG in the AHL at 26 years old. For a guy who really doesn't appear to fit well in the traditional bottom six mold, he just doesn't seem to be productive enough at the AHL level to warrant a real look. You'd expect at least PPG, and for a guy like this, he should be challenging for the AHL lead in points. He should be jumping off the stats page at you, demanding to be signed to a NHL contract... instead... he's not.

Reactions: aingefan

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You know what. JHS is someone that you'd really hope could make it. It's a good story, guy working hard to redeem himself, who clearly has some talent. Maybe the Olympics does something for him... let's hope so. He's put up 6 points in the last 11 games, and is near 0.78 PPG in the AHL at 26 years old. For a guy who really doesn't appear to fit well in the traditional bottom six mold, he just doesn't seem to be productive enough at the AHL level to warrant a real look. You'd expect at least PPG, and for a guy like this, he should be challenging for the AHL lead in points. He should be jumping off the stats page at you, demanding to be signed to a NHL contract... instead... he's not.

Meh, MLSE is a mint. I'd just give him a one year league minimum to see if anything came of his development year with us.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
That, and he’s a Toronto boy, was a great GTHL player. Super skilled/flashy on a stacked Toronto Marlboros team with McDavid, one of the most crazy talented GTHL teams in recent history. Probably lots of Torontonians who played in the GTHL, or had kids/friends/etc. who did, watched him then and want to see him succeed now.

He’s also just fun to watch, silky smooth hands. Has a lot of swagger in a league where most guys try to hide their personality. Jamaican and Chinese ancestry in a mostly white league.

He’s liked in Toronto for a lot of the same reasons Kadri was/is, flashy Toronto boy with a big personality, came up through Ontario leagues, POC, bit of an underdog.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealkoho

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Meh, MLSE is a mint. I'd just give him a one year league minimum to see if anything came of his development year with us.

For what reason? He hasn't exactly earned it, nor a shot with the Leafs. Anderson, Steeves, Seney, and (more recently) Abramov have all looked better than him and between the first three (since Abramov has not been called up), they have only played 7 NHL games so far this year. Seney is the same age as Ho-Sang, while Anderson and Steeves are 2-4 years younger than him. Why not give those guys, who already have contracts I might add, more chances in the NHL rather than spending a contract spot and opportunities on a guy who is, at best, the 4th best Marlies forward right now and is trending downwards.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Is Ho-Sang a player who does better with talented players, not because of the others contributions, but because they’re able to process the game and play at the speed he does? I’ve not seen a Marlin’s game this year, it’s a question born out of ignorance.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Is Ho-Sang a player who does better with talented players, not because of the others contributions, but because they’re able to process the game and play at the speed he does? I’ve not seen a Marlin’s game this year, it’s a question born out of ignorance.

Yes, a few years ago he looked pretty good with Tavares. The thing that kept him out of the line up in Long Island was the turn overs. For every good play, there was a dumb one that followed. But he did look very good with Tavares, kinda sad they didn’t give him an extended look because who knows what he could have been with more time in the NHL.

Reactions: meefer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad