Speculation: When does Josh Ho-Sang get his NHL deal w/ Leafs?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Yes, a few years ago he looked pretty good with Tavares. The thing that kept him out of the line up in Long Island was the turn overs. For every good play, there was a dumb one that followed. But he did look very good with Tavares, kinda sad they didn’t give him an extended look because who knows what he could have been with more time in the NHL.
Thx.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Lots of flash, former 1st rounder, no where close to being an every day NHL player.

He's not even a particularly good AHL player considering his age and being an all offense player. Compare him to a couple of recent Leafs the same age as him.

Josh Ho-Sang - Age 26
OHL: 256GP, 292pts, 1.14pts/GP
AHL: 205GP, 143pts, 0.70pts/GP

Nic Petan - Age 26
WHL: 252GP, 358pts, 1.42pts/GP
AHL: 166GP, 155pts, 0.93pts/GP

Michael Amadio - Age 26 (turning 27 though)
OHL: 263GP, 226pts, 0.86pts/GP
AHL: 130GP, 104pts, 0.80pts/GP

Amadio and Petan both add value as capable centres at the pro level, Amadio is also decent defensively.

Comparing him as a pure scorer at the pro level isn't even close between Ho-Sang and Petan. Ho-Sang's best season at the AHL level is 56GP, 8G, 43pts, of Petan's 5 AHL seasons of more than 9 games that would be his second worst, marginally better than his rookie season (47GP, 9G, 32pts)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Lots of flash, former 1st rounder, no where close to being an every day NHL player.

He's not even a particularly good AHL player considering his age and being an all offense player. Compare him to a couple of recent Leafs the same age as him.

Josh Ho-Sang - Age 26

Nic Petan - Age 26

Amadio and Petan both add value as capable centres at the pro level, Amadio is also decent defensively.

Comparing him as a pure scorer at the pro level isn't even close between Ho-Sang and Petan. Ho-Sang's best season at the AHL level is 56GP, 8G, 43pts, of Petan's 5 AHL seasons of more than 9 games that would be his second worst, marginally better than his rookie season (47GP, 9G, 32pts)
I really liked Nic Petan.

Reactions: banks

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Josh is a prime example of a kid with all natural talent in da world who quite frankly took his talents for granted and did not train at anywhere near level these kids train today to keep getting better .. kinda like Bracco but with more foot speed .. at this point his only shot is to learn defensive side of game and keep up current training levels to increase his skating power

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Josh is a prime example of a kid with all natural talent in da world who quite frankly took his talents for granted and did not train at anywhere near level these kids train today to keep getting better .. kinda like Bracco but with more foot speed .. at this point his only shot is to learn defensive side of game and keep up current training levels to increase his skating power

I wonder, to what degree he's doing just that right now... concentrating on the defensive side of the game, and working on his training towards the future. Clearly his offensive production at the AHL level isn't near what you'd expect for a guy of his natural talent.

Ho Sang is at 0.74 PPG

Robertson, as a rookie who should have been in the OHL, and through injuries last year was 0.76
Bracco at 21 was 1.07 PPG
Kapanen/Johnsson/Leipsic were all PPG.

Maybe, if he continues to work hard.. trains hard, works on the defensive side, and then shows the offensive side, maybe he gets a chance then... so maybe some time next year. But he's got a lot of work to do.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This is exactly what I was talking about yesterday. This is the culture Kyle has set. He opened the door for JHS when others had it nailed shut. This is just another example of Kyle working for his players. It 100% does not go unnoticed around the league. That's a GM players want to play for.

Give people (not just hockey assets) a chance to succeed, maybe that's by doing your best for them within the organization, or giving them a chance elsewhere... it's consistently what he's done.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Give people (not just hockey assets) a chance to succeed, maybe that's by doing your best for them within the organization, or giving them a chance elsewhere... it's consistently what he's done.
wow what a concept.

you mean, treat your employees how you would want to be treated and you'll attract the best of the best, and even have people work for less money potentially??? Seems too good to be true, what's the catch??

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
In terms of stats, hasn't been as impressive as I thought he'd be. Hope he's enjoying the game again and rounding out his game in the meantime; haven't really paid much attention to him.

Really hard to tell if/when he makes the jump to the Leafs, he'd have to really take off which he is capable of.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
In terms of stats, hasn't been as impressive as I thought he'd be. Hope he's enjoying the game again and rounding out his game in the meantime; haven't really paid much attention to him.

Really hard to tell if/when he makes the jump to the Leafs, he'd have to really take off which he is capable of.
2016-17Bridgeport Sound TigersAHL5010263624-4----------
2016-17New York IslandersNHL214610121----------
2017-18New York IslandersNHL22210122-7----------
2017-18Bridgeport Sound TigersAHL508233140-2----------
2018-19Bridgeport Sound TigersAHL568354318-651120
2018-19New York IslandersNHL1011262----------
2019-20Bridgeport Sound TigersAHL1637100-4
2019-20San Antonio RampageAHL61232-3
2020-21Orebro HKSweHL50112-2----------
2020-21Linkopings HCSweHL42024-2----------
2021-22Toronto MarliesAHL271192010-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
litterally on pace to lap his total goal/pts totals ever in his pro hockey career. i think hes paying more attention to rounding out his full game not just the offencive side of things. hope they give him a shot cause hes eared it and he's a cheap home developed option.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

couldnt be further from the truth.

1. Ho Sang is already an exceptional skater, he doesn’t need to work on that.

2. Ho Sang has always worked hard, he’s extremely talented. It wasn’t that he took his skill for granted. His “problems” stemmed from not conforming to stupid hockey culture. Which made him “rebellious”. Yes he’s made a few mistakes as a young man, you should never be late to training camp. But a lot of the things that happened on the island came from him being outspoken and just simply having a personality. It’s such a shame hockey doesn’t allow players to have a personality it’s why it’s the worst major sport.

3. he doesn’t have to do anything defensive.. his talent is so raw and explosive, a team will give him a chance based on that alone. People always equate AHL stats to potential promotion. There are guys who score over 100 points a season in AHL and never get a sniff. If you don’t have raw talent you won’t make it. Ho Sang doesn’t need to be PPG to get an NHL deal.

4. go listen to Shane Dean’s interview on Leafs Lunch today. EVERY FORMER GM of Ho-Sang gave him a glowing recommendation and said he was misunderstood as young player and they love him as a person.

5. Why can’t we be happy for him?

Reactions: Eric bungay

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Josh Ho-Sang - Age 26

Nic Petan - Age 26

LOL I wanna show you how meaningless AHL production is.

Nic Petan NHL Numbers - 136GP - 6G - 22A - 28P (0.20 ppg)

Josh Ho-Sang NHL Numbers - 53GP - 7G - 17A - 24P (0.45 ppg)

all that matters is are you talented enough to do it at the NHL level. Which Ho Sang is. Nic Petan has literally done nothing at the NHL level, where as Ho Sang has almost matched his NHL production in less than Half the games played.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
LOL I wanna show you how meaningless AHL production is.

Nic Petan NHL Numbers - 136GP - 6G - 22A - 28P (0.20 ppg)

Josh Ho-Sang NHL Numbers - 53GP - 7G - 17A - 24P (0.45 ppg)

all that matters is are you talented enough to do it at the NHL level. Which Ho Sang is. Nic Petan has literally done nothing at the NHL level, where as Ho Sang has almost matched his NHL production in less than Half the games played.

Which is of course why Ho Sang has 53GP in the NHL, and Petan has 136GP despite them being the same age. Either you are missing something, like Ho Sang's all round game, or every GM in the NHL is missing something, that you've miraculously discovered...

Seriously, get out of here with this.

Reactions: aingefan

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Which is of course why Ho Sang has 53GP in the NHL, and Petan has 136GP despite them being the same age. Either you are missing something, like Ho Sang's all round game, or every GM in the NHL is missing something, that you've miraculously discovered...

Seriously, get out of here with this.

Ho Sang isn't out of the league because of a lack talent or he can't produce, that is well documented.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

2. Ho Sang has always worked hard, he’s extremely talented. It wasn’t that he took his skill for granted. His “problems” stemmed from not conforming to stupid hockey culture. Which made him “rebellious”. Yes he’s made a few mistakes as a young man, you should never be late to training camp. But a lot of the things that happened on the island came from him being outspoken and just simply having a personality. It’s such a shame hockey doesn’t allow players to have a personality it’s why it’s the worst major sport.

3. he doesn’t have to do anything defensive.. his talent is so raw and explosive, a team will give him a chance based on that alone. People always equate AHL stats to potential promotion. There are guys who score over 100 points a season in AHL and never get a sniff. If you don’t have raw talent you won’t make it. Ho Sang doesn’t need to be PPG to get an NHL deal.

4. go listen to Shane Dean’s interview on Leafs Lunch today. EVERY FORMER GM of Ho-Sang gave him a glowing recommendation and said he was misunderstood as young player and they love him as a person.

You related to him, his best friend or something? "His talent is so raw and explosive, a team will give him a chance based on that alone" We all hope he succeeds, it's a great story, but pump the brakes a whole bunch. He's not in the NHL, and he's got a lot of work to do.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You related to him, his best friend or something? "His talent is so raw and explosive, a team will give him a chance based on that alone" We all hope he succeeds, it's a great story, but pump the brakes a whole bunch. He's not in the NHL, and he's got a lot of work to do.

lol, I do know him. And I'm always going to root for black hockey players being a black hockey fan my friend.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Selfishly I really want to see him get a shot with the Leafs this season. Been routing for him for a long time. His stats don't tell the whole story. He controls the puck when he's on the ice.

I'd love to see him have a huge Olympics. I've loved watching him with the Marlies this year and the only shame is that Robertson has been injured the whole time because they were already showing great chemistry in their first two games.

Reactions: Eric bungay

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Sure... please provide documentation.

2 Reasons the Drama Between Josh Ho-Sang and the Islanders Won’t End Well

Right off the bat, the New York Islanders’ defense will be tested

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-john-tavares-josh-ho-sang-future/

I'm too lazy after a long day of work to go search for more but you can, but many beat writers covering the Islanders have talked about it. Had more to do with off-ice things and maybe even a bad reputation that he did in fact contribute to (no one is denying that). They even talk about him having incredible possession stats at the NHL level. There is no denying he may have been a headache to deal with when he was younger but he's seemed to turn it around. Skill has never been in question. I also know personally a lot of Islanders fans (have a lot of friends from Bowmanville since I've lived in Bowmanville for a while prior to this year, who follow the Islanders because they are friends with Josh Bailey and some of my family on my dad's side live out in Deer Park) that are pissed the Islanders didn't give him a chance but basically walked Dal Colle to the NHL, and they have always felt he was better than Dal Colle.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
kyle wellwood, and bracco, and ho finished, should take up with the navy seals.

Sure, great danglers, but no foundation of physicality...

They are all finished, till I see a pic of any one of them with a mike babcock, nhl ready body, they are just a trio of thousands of ten thousands, all over the world, of guys that didn't fit into the meat grinder, that spits out a nhl player...

Its a global meat grinder.,..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
2 Reasons the Drama Between Josh Ho-Sang and the Islanders Won’t End Well

Right off the bat, the New York Islanders’ defense will be tested

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-john-tavares-josh-ho-sang-future/

I'm too lazy after a long day of work to go search for more but you can, but many beat writers covering the Islanders have talked about it. Had more to do with off-ice things and maybe even a bad reputation that he did in fact contribute to (no one is denying that). They even talk about him having incredible possession stats at the NHL level. There is no denying he may have been a headache to deal with when he was younger but he's seemed to turn it around. Skill has never been in question. I also know personally a lot of Islanders fans (have a lot of friends from Bowmanville since I've lived in Bowmanville for a while prior to this year, who follow the Islanders because they are friends with Josh Bailey and some of my family on my dad's side live out in Deer Park) that are pissed the Islanders didn't give him a chance but basically walked Dal Colle to the NHL, and they have always felt he was better than Dal Colle.

Increased diversity in the league, and the Leafs , is better for everyone, and the future of the sport. I want Ho Sang to succeed.

I don't think this is evidence that Ho Sang is held back despite talent. This is, he has a lot of natural talent, and I keep reading... Untapped potential... It's still untapped... there is still potential, but we haven't really seen it in full. I don't think he's doing enough on the ice with the Marlies, to warrant the NHL contract yet. I think he's got to round out his game more, and then be productive as well... he's got to be decent defensively, get involved physically, AND be near or above PPG in the AHL. Anyone who is allegedly THAT talented, this shouldn't be a problem... certainly not at 26 years old. I hope he makes it, great for him, great for us.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

I can only go off of what JN told me personally at Marlies, he was our president for many many years before JT/SG, I was one of donors for many years as my kids played for org like I did and my dad did .. kid has amazing talent for sure that we can all agree on .. but he did not go to BTNL or work out with our other pro prospects as it was recommended to him .. that was my point .. now he was always a little different and his skills were off da chart amazing so everyone kinda looked da other way .. his skating edge work is like Bracco and Mitch but like both his skating straight line speed is not amazing (he lacks power in his legs) .. and yes everyone always liked Josh as a kid.. very good kid and was always a team first guy .. his personality is fine .. but he does have a lot to work on to make da show - more specifically his foot speed/power and his defensive game .. i hope da best for him and his family

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad