When do you think Hall re-signs or goes UFA?

When do you think Hall re-signs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
It seems likely to me that Hall wants to see how the team performs on the ice before signing an extension.

agreed, and i think shero’s text to him about subban, meaning ways he was improving the team, is the perfect example of what i’m talking about (open line of communication). it’s a good sign if you want hall re-signed

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
i don’t think there has been complete radio silence, i’m pretty sure shero and hynes (and harris, if i remember correctly) have separately met/communicated with hall over the course of the summer.

This was right after we got Gusev.

Stuck With Nico

Registered Otaku
Sep 28, 2017
New Hampshire
I can only imagine that Hall is pleased with the offseason that the team has had. However, we're still 2 or so years away from really becoming a contender and I don't think Hall wants to wait that long. I'm just not optimistic that he resigns here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can only imagine that Hall is pleased with the offseason that the team has had. However, we're still 2 or so years away from really becoming a contender and I don't think Hall wants to wait that long. I'm just not optimistic that he resigns here.
He has to wait at least one year, unless he plans to force a trade. And I also think we could be closer to a contender window then you do.

As some one posted in the other thread. If Hall Subban Schneid's Vat's and Simmonds are healthy? Add that to Hughes and Gusev and Smith and the whole mix? I think that team could make some noise.

Reactions: Stuck With Nico

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
He's signed (most likely) or traded before the season opener. Shero, Harris, and Blitzer have done a phenomonal job with asset management. I can't imagine them taking on the liability of an unsigned Hall through 2019-20.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia

This has been mentioned, but who is the magical contender that can afford to pay him 10 plus million and can compete for the cup immediately and suit everything he needs?

I think this is why he said, he's going to take his time and also be careful to not end up in the wrong situation "chasing" the playoffs/cup. Others have done that and it backfires.

If he can't see Shero's vision and how the Devils are being setup for continued success in the near future (and not one and done in the playoffs), then I wish him the best because we are on the right path. The GM, Owners, coaching staff have been nothing but great to him, which he has mentioned compared to the horrible Oiler situation he was in. I think his own mother commented on it when they had all of the Moms in town for a game or two.

Wouldn't be surprised if the first round pick would be in play too for a top LD defenseman if there is one available.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
He's signed (most likely) or traded before the season opener. Shero, Harris, and Blitzer have done a phenomonal job with asset management. I can't imagine them taking on the liability of an unsigned Hall through 2019-20.

I truly don't believe there's a chance in hell Hall is traded before the season opener.

Reactions: glenwo2

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Hall tossed out the challenge to add more talent and Shero responded with resounding authority this offseason. He was helped along by winning the Hughes lottery, but getting PK for peanuts and the highly touted Gusev showed Ray meant business. Plus we have Smith coming in, maybe even Boqvist.

Add to that the resigning of Butcher to a friendly contract as well just as the rags are buying out Shatty, sweet sweet. Also Ray has never given up a 1st for anything while he's been here, so it's not like he's mortgaged our future just to stay relevant. Not every move turns out perfectly, but to have cleared out all the chaff we had and to have reassembled this roster in 5 years or so to what it is today without committing to bad contracts is nothing short of impressive.

Shero put up, now it's Hall's turn to shut up, and sign. Screw this ongoing assessment of the team crap. We're finally becoming a nascent franchise once again and he either wants to be part of it, or he doesn't.

The UFA grass always seems greener but 1) a legit contender would need to make room for him, and 2) the package from that handful of contenders may not be what we're looking for.

Hopefully Hall keeps in mind that he has zero control over where we send him so if he wants to play this as strictly business, then fine, better hope the best trade offer doesn't come to us from some train wreck out west. Or, you can skip all the what if scenarios and sign with us before the opener. We've got your money bro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khione and JK3
Aug 10, 2010
NJ
I think they’re marketing Subban and Hughes so much to prepare us for the loss of Hall either by FA or trade.

Reactions: Khione

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This has been mentioned, but who is the magical contender that can afford to pay him 10 plus million and can compete for the cup immediately and suit everything he needs?

I think this is why he said, he's going to take his time and also be careful to not end up in the wrong situation "chasing" the playoffs/cup. Others have done that and it backfires.

If he can't see Shero's vision and how the Devils are being setup for continued success in the near future (and not one and done in the playoffs), then I wish him the best because we are on the right path. The GM, Owners, coaching staff have been nothing but great to him, which he has mentioned compared to the horrible Oiler situation he was in. I think his own mother commented on it when they had all of the Moms in town for a game or two.

Wouldn't be surprised if the first round pick would be in play too for a top LD defenseman if there is one available.
And Hall is not blind. He just saw Tampa get knocked out in the first round. He saw the reigning cup champs knocked out in the first round. Crosby and Malkin out.

He knows that you just can't go to a cup favorite and then sit back and wait for the inevitable raising of the cup.

So to your point, what team has the cap room to sign him, and yet also is stocked with young talent like the Devils are. Our situation is as good as anyones.

So imo, if he walks, it's not because he didn't think he could win here. He walks because he would rather try and win somewhere else.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

colorado could do it with very little maneuvering needed, and it probably puts them in a 3-5 year plan of being serious stanley cup contenders. not saying it will happen, but they could

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

colorado could do it with very little maneuvering needed, and it probably puts them in a 3-5 year plan of being serious stanley cup contenders. not saying it will happen, but they could
Calgary - his hometown, blech - could make it work. The isles as well, even though that would be goofy unless we're terrible. Winnipeg could pay him 12, are legit contenders, and would still have 5.5 in space. Boston wouldn't have much issue either and we all know what they're capable of with their current roster.

That's just this year. Don't really feel like looking at those for next, but I'm sure there are a few with significant numbers coming off the books.

So unfortunately we can't just sit back and weaponize our cap space with him.

Last edited:

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Yeah I think Colorado is pretty much the only team that has a situation equal to or better than the Devils. Toronto and Tampa are in Cap hell, so I would rule them out. Rangers are on the way up, but they are screwed next year capwise and totally screwed if their young guys reach their performance bonus.
Teams that may have cap room for him are unable to offer playing next to Nico/Hughes for the next decade plus.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The only trade I could see before season is if the Devils swapping #1LW for #1LD. Otherwise, I think the Devils try to sign Hall during the season and trade him at the deadline if they're unsuccessful.

I'd hope Shero doesn't get too enamored of the team's performance to keep an unsigned Hall for a playoff run and hope he doesn't go UFA. The Devils could still use assets and it'll hurt a lot to lose Hall for nothing.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yeah I think Colorado is pretty much the only team that has a situation equal to or better than the Devils. Toronto and Tampa are in Cap hell, so I would rule them out. Rangers are on the way up, but they are screwed next year capwise and totally screwed if their young guys reach their performance bonus.
Teams that may have cap room for him are unable to offer playing next to Nico/Hughes for the next decade plus.
Unfortunately this is not true. See my post above yours.

Playing next to Bergeron or Krejci probably sounds pretty sexy if you ask me.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yes, but those guys are 34 and 33 years old. I'd chose the 20 year old centering me who I won an MVP playing next to and a potential 18 year old superstar.
As would I. Just pointing out that there are other proper contenders who could be suitors.

I also don't see any sign of either of them slowing down for at least another 2-3 seasons as they both just had career years. Doesn't hurt that they're a well managed franchise in a great hockey market.

And I'm sure someone will chime in about Chara, but McAvoy seems primed to fill his shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad