Music: When did your favorite band fall off?

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Stones fell off with Goat's Head Soup.

briefly got it back for Black & Blue (newfound groove) and Some Girls (newfound sass).

fell off for good with Emotional Rescue.

and yeah Tattoo You was classic Stones, but made from demos left over from the early 70s.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Pearl Jam was very telling as to when they fell off because every album since Vitalogy may as well have been named "As long as it doesn't sound like 'Ten' we're okay" like they were under some kind of a rule yet that was what everyone loved them for. Post-"Ten" music like Daughter, Tremor Christ, Nothingman, Dissident, Leash, Rats and even Better Man are some of my favorite Pearl Jam songs ever. I labored through "No Code" (ironic that I don't think they've had any real stable direction since) once and at what point I stopped I can't remember. I just took out the earbuds and said "Ahhhh so this is why they don't play any Pearl less than 20 years old"

Honorable mention: the first time I heard"Do the evolution" I would've sworn it was System Of A Down featuring Eddie Vedder and it was what spurred me on to listen to their discography and say "This is the same group that did Jeremy? Oh hell no... what happened to these guys?"

I got to No Code and found out the hard way...

No Code is probably their best album. They couldn't keep doing arena rock forever.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Stones fell off with Goat's Head Soup.

briefly got it back for Black & Blue (newfound groove) and Some Girls (newfound sass).

fell off for good with Emotional Rescue.

and yeah Tattoo You was classic Stones, but made from demos left over from the early 70s.

I like Ron Wood, I found Taylor a more creative partner for Richards. And it was about this time the drugs abuse of the band really kicked off.

But Taylor was one of those guitarist who had no problem pushing himself and those around him a little bit harder to do a little but more

I like Ritchie Blackmore's take on playing guitar and creativity--he said something like "Sometimes it is not hit the right note and the right time that cause the creative energy to go somewhere unexpected". It was a few years ago and he was talking about how "safe" most guitarist play now and days

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
* Tool - Still no bad record
* Cult of Luna - Still no bad record
* Rage against the Machine - Perfect track record.
* Converge - still kicking
* Misery Index - Straight Fire, quality death grind
* Dillinger Escape Plan - Almost nothing but great records but they kind of went in another direction the last few records from what I had wished for.
* The Bronx - Jury is still out on after the last record... which was good, but not as one could expect by The Bronx
* Opeth - An absolutely amazing band for so many years and then they release Heritage and I have barely been able to listen to them since. It's not what I loved with them.
* Mastodon - Up until Crack the Skye they were gunning for the top position on my favorite bands of all time list. After that they're still good but I miss the old Mastodon a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad