Music: When did your favorite band fall off?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I enjoy NJ more than SWW at this point as well, aside from the guitar which sounds like **** on NJ imo. But Slippery is probably my all time fav album.

SWW is my all-time favorite, as well. Livin' on a Prayer is the first song that I ever fell in love with when I heard it on the radio. It's funny... after I fell in love with SWW and NJ, I discovered their first album and 7600 Fahrenheit and didn't like them, probably because my expectations were so high. Just a few months ago, I listened to them for the first time in 30 years and actually liked them. I put them after SWW and NJ. I just greatly prefer the band's 80s sound and youthful energy.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
saves the day

Can’t slow down ‘98 - great
Through being cool ‘99 - great
Stay what you are ‘01 - great
In reverie ‘03 - shit
Sound the alarm ‘06 - slight improvement on the previous
Under the boards ‘07 - slight improvement on the previous

A couple since then that have been garbage.

I’ll say that they fell off right around the 2007 mark for album quality. I saw them last in ‘08, that i can recall anyway, and they still did all songs from their better days. Looking at some more recent tours they still focus mainly on those 99 and 01 releases. So credit for catering to their fans i guess.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Van Halen: after Roth left. Although I do recall a witticism Sammy Hagar made to some media person when Roth toured with the VH guys again after falling out with Sammy: "They're going to play the hits they had with him for the first twenty minutes, then for the next three hours they'll play the hits they had with me."

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel

Pantera have been my #1 favourite band for over 20 years so IMO while this could be a logical choice...this is a tricky one.

Is/was it a step down from TGSTK in terms of brutality?? Yep. Does it musically flow together as well as it’s predecessors do?? Nope. Are there cool riffs and good songs on it?? Absolutely.

To be honest, given what we now know about just how bad things in Pantera (for various reasons, not just heroin) were by the year 2000, its amazing that “Reinventing The Steel” turned out as good as it was/is.

Plus is it really a drop-off when it only became their last album largely due to tragic circumstances??

People will ultimately and stupidly blame Phil Anselmo’s heroin addiction for Pantera’s breakup but let’s face it...by 2000, they all should’ve been in, or needed rehab for various things. Plus 9/11 was really the final nail in their coffin as they never did tour after that.

There are so many “what if’s” with Pantera now that sadly due to tragedy will never be answered/resolved. Like what if their next record had been released in 2004-05 ish?? What if by that time of their next record, Phil (or all of them) had gotten clean? And then yes there’s the big what if Dimebag had never been murdered in ‘04?? Would he and Phil Anselmo have patched up their (severely damaged by this point) relationship/friendship when Phil did get clean after Hurricane Katrina?? Would they have recorded together again Etc.

My point is...they could have easily released something after “Reinventing” that totally could have been a “return to form.” So it’s hard to pinpoint that album as an exact dropoff point.

Interesting choice though my dude.

Reactions: NNCbama

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Pantera have been my #1 favourite band for over 20 years so IMO while this could be a logical choice...this is a tricky one.

Is/was it a step down from TGSTK in terms of brutality?? Yep. Does it musically flow together as well as it’s predecessors do?? Nope. Are there cool riffs and good songs on it?? Absolutely.

To be honest, given what we now know about just how bad things in Pantera (for various reasons, not just heroin) were by the year 2000, its amazing that “Reinventing The Steel” turned out as good as it was/is.

Plus is it really a drop-off when it only became their last album largely due to tragic circumstances??

People will ultimately and stupidly blame Phil Anselmo’s heroin addiction for Pantera’s breakup but let’s face it...by 2000, they all should’ve been in, or needed rehab for various things. Plus 9/11 was really the final nail in their coffin as they never did tour after that.

There are so many “what if’s” with Pantera now that sadly due to tragedy will never be answered/resolved. Like what if their next record had been released in 2004-05 ish?? What if by that time of their next record, Phil (or all of them) had gotten clean? And then yes there’s the big what if Dimebag had never been murdered in ‘04?? Would he and Phil Anselmo have patched up their (severely damaged by this point) relationship/friendship when Phil did get clean after Hurricane Katrina?? Would they have recorded together again Etc.

My point is...they could have easily released something after “Reinventing” that totally could have been a “return to form.” So it’s hard to pinpoint that album as an exact dropoff point.

Interesting choice though my dude.

You're right that since they never released another album maybe it isn't a fair pick.

At the time though I thought it was a bad album. To me it seemed very by the numbers and sounded thrown together. I remember wondering if they had finally run out of ideas.

I had listened to the three previous albums an incredible amount of times so maybe it was fatigue, but even now when I listen to it I still find it to be a very weak outside of a couple songs. Down II was the same for me. Damageplan was nothing special (though I got to see them play a club shortly before Dime's death so I'm grateful for that).

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I agree w/the Pantera pick. I remember when TGST was new, and RTS was new. TGST was a liiiittle step down for me regarding the song writing, though the music itself to this day remains brutal and awesome. It has definitely held up over time!

A couple of my favorites:

Black Sabbath - Sabotage, as mentioned, their last "great" album. Gets overlooked a lot. I'm a giant Sab/Ozzy fan and never listened to but a couple songs from the post-Ozzy albums until recent years. I forced myself to. Most weren't bad at all, some were good, but they had a different vibe for sure.

Ozzy - Ozzmosis. That said, I have songs I really like from all of his albums

Slayer - Very tough here. Divine Intervention was a huge drop, but I always liked Diabolus in Musica. God Hates Us All has become a classic. Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood were criminally underrated too. I'd say they just had a drop on Divine/Undisputed, and came back just fine but with a different overall sound.

All That Remains - Overcome, although their latest is a huuuuuuuuge step back to the right direction

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising. Interesting that they are becoming more and more popular, though I've been a fan since Fate of Norns was current and have seen it all w/them. They're one of those bands were NOTHING is bad, but much may not stand above the rest. Every album since and including Surtur Rising has had this mix, but no incredible anthems like Death in Fire or Twilight of the Thunder God had. That said, every album is still very enjoyable.

Black Label Society - Another interesting one. The Blessed Hellride. Now, Zakk is my favorite musician of all-time (not counting Ozzy) but I'll admit he gets overboard on many things. After this one, things felt rushed, and IIRC a lot seemed to have to do with label commitments and rushing. Every album has had great songs, but they were no longer 100% solid. So after The Blessed Hellride, I considered the next 3 weak with a follow-up that was possibly the best yet (Order of the Black). The follow-up to that was much weaker, but the latest AGAIN is one of the best IMO.

Children of Bodom - Easy call, Are You Dead yet? was the last banger. After that was very hit or miss, although Halo of Blood and Hexed are great.

The Black Dahlia Murder - Absymal was too much too loud, but still has some good songs. Another band that usually has albums 100% great, but this one was lacking by comparison. Their latest is much better, thankfully, and I don't doubt at all that their upcoming release will follow suit.

Reactions: NNCbama

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Metallica had a major blunder in St. Anger but the 2 following albums were terrific imo.

I've still never listened to St. Anger in full. Load was the big drop for me. I enjoyed it ok, but it wasn't close to the self-titled album (which I obviously realize most will mark as their falling-off point). I liked Death Magnetic at the time, and Hardwired...I still find great.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Back in Black (and I do believe that Bon wrote most of the lyrics for many song) is one of the greatest albums of all time

For those about to Rock was the last real solid album from them
I just never really cared for Brian that much and i LOVED everything before back in black.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Many Megadeth fans would say they fell off with Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings or Risk.

I never started being bored by their albums until after The System Has Failed.
Endgame is a top 5 Megadeth album imo. Super Collider seems to be the breaking point for me.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Public Enemy started trending downwards with the release of Muse Sick-n-Hour Mess Age. At the time the shift to gangster rap and heavy commercialization played a pretty big part. Many great Rap groups fell victim to the shift from self awareness/introspection to materialism. 91-94 where the greatest years for rap music in my opinion.

Last edited:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Public Enemy started trending downwards with the release of Muse Sick-n-Hour Mess Age. At the time the shift to gangster rap and heavy commercialization played a pretty big part. Many great Rap groups fell victim to the shift from self awareness/introspection to materialism. 93/94 where the greatest years for rap music in my opinion.
Agreed , i do enjoy old public enemy.

Reactions: sigma six

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Streetlight Manifesto - not yet, though there is a clear and consistent downward trend
Converge - not yet, and I don't expect it to ever happen, unmatched consistency imo
Deströyer 666 - Defiance (2009), thought their stuff is still good and enjoyable, they're just not banging out 10/10 albums anymore
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (2003)
Judas Priest - Turbo (1986), I don't care much for Painkiller
No Doubt - Rock Steady (2001) I... don't like talking about this one

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Endgame is a top 5 Megadeth album imo. Super Collider seems to be the breaking point for me.

I never got much into Megadeth until some of those later releases. Whatever it is that changed about them (production, Dave's less snarly voice, a fuller sound, all of the above?) definitely helped me become a fan. I love Endgame and Dystopia.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't think Radiohead really has. Pablo Honey (1993) to start is completely forgettable, The Bends (1995) wasn't quite there yet but you could hear them starting to find their voice, then their next 5 albums (1997-2007) are all IMO fantastic and book-ended by two albums I consider my two favorites (or at least top 3). The King of Limbs (2011) was a clear step down even if it wasn't nearly as bad or forgettable as Pablo Honey was, but then they rebounded nicely with A Moon Shaped Pool (2016), where it doesn't look out of place from that exceptional string of 5 albums they had. They've just released music so infrequently that I can't say one way or another that they've fallen off from that amazing string of 10 years. I guess the fact that they've released 2 albums in the last 12 years kind of shows they've fallen off to some degree though.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
U2 might have lost most people around Zooropa or Pop, but for me they became terrible on How To Disassemble An Atomic Bomb. Vertigo was their last decent rocker, and they’ve since become the band they promised they’d never be.

Smashing Pumpkins imploded during Adore, possibly because Mellon Collie and Aeroplane were such an enormous output in a short span of time.

STP imploded shortly after Tiny Music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad